Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They should help relocate anyone who is currently booked at one of these resorts and is unhappy with this new policy.

Going forward, there are 20+ Dog-Free resorts for the people with concerns such as you mentioned

Many magical places to stay!

For now. That could change for anyone's vacation at any resort now at any time. If this is as some say a Pilot program, it means it is intended for other properties as well?
This would be a great time for some other resort companies to up their shuttles, etc., They could probably get a lot of normally Disney customers. Esp. as there are other good parks, non-Disney as well.

Of course, we can't be sure what Walt would do or say, but he did have an incredible eye for detail and passion for the purity of the experience he wanted to create for people ... human people!

He wanted to create a place and experience that takes us humans away from our everyday stresses and he worked on this considering every angle and last detail. ...Building sight lines, landscaping, music, no smoking or alcohol etc. etc. etc.. He didn't want anything to break the spell.

Especially if he was alive now in 2017 (bearing in mind his revolutionary, refined and exacting approach), I really do think he would recognise that dogs (beloved as they may have been to him) do not add to the escape and magic he imagined. I think he'd see that not only do dogs actually create stress for groups of people, they also create stress for the environment he was building.

I can imagine him opting for a completely separate resort, with completely separate transport. I can imagine him considering every aspect of this issue and how every eventuality would be managed. I can imagine him disliking the fact that people who loved his fantasy world are falling out of love with it because of this development (and others) that jolt one out of the magical environment he held dear.

Everything Walt Disney created that was new, fantastical and cutting edge didn't come about because he followed the crowd - the crowd in this case being other hotels, resorts, places for human leisure.

I've read throughout the entire thread, very interesting. I come down firmly on the side of the opposition but I have no illusions, the dog-resort policy will probably remain unless the cost outweigh the benefits, financially speaking.

Given this, a major concern is enforcement. For any rule to be effective-- act as a deterrent-- the penalty must be seen as more costly than the potential gain from the infraction and must be seen as a highly likely consequence to the commission of the infraction.

Let's think this over. Let's say a few dog enthusiasts gather on the beach by the Yacht and Beach Club to play with their dogs. What exactly will a cast member be instructed to do ?

My suspicion is that, aside from a verbal request to get off the beach, not much, especially if there are multiple guests at issue.

This leads to some potentially troublesome results. This type of infraction slowly becomes accepted and a common occurrence. Slowly but surely, the bounds of accepted dog owner behavior are expanded. Dogs on the beach leads to dogs by the pools, etc

Alternatively, Disney rule enforcement becomes something of a self-help system-- guests find themselves requesting offenders to cease the offending behavior or compel cast members, reluctantly, to enforce the rules.

This is just an example that comes to mind. I'm not sure what can be done to prevent this. This feels like a slow motion train wreck that cannot be stopped.

You called it! This is exactly the scenario I have witnessed at Ft Wilderness. They have effectively squeezed out the people who don't want to/cannot vacation with dogs.

They should help relocate anyone who is currently booked at one of these resorts and is unhappy with this new policy.

Going forward, there are 20+ Dog-Free resorts for the people with concerns such as you mentioned

Many magical places to stay!

As has been posted many (many) times, it's just not this straightforward, for a number of reasons.

I have been a dog owner since I was a young child. Trust me when I tell you that it is stressful placing both of our dogs in the kennel while we are in Disney for the week. It is my personal opinion that those making critical statements about Disney's trial run are both selfish and misinformed. Lets face the facts; dogs create structure and added responsibilities for their owners. I have learned that some people are just too self absorbed and selfish to share their lives with a pet(s) that depend on the love and commitment of those willing to do so. I just don't understand how Disney's decision to allow dogs in certain resorts could create so much turmoil and discomfort for non-pet owners. Remember, Disney is supposed to be the happiest place on earth for everyone, and that includes our four legged companions. I think Walt would agree.
How dare you say people who do not own dogs are selfish. My husband and I made a decision not to get a dog first because work kept us from home for 12 or more hours a day. We thought it cruel to leave a dog alone. And selfish to treat a pet as a toy you take out when you have time.

Now we travel and take day trips as a retired couple. We almost got a dog but again we realized our schedules would leave a dog alone too much.

We love dogs too much to have one and if we ever do decide to get one we would never ever assume anyone else needs to accommodate our choice. We would need to modify how we travel - expecting those around us to accept our dog into an environment that has been pet free is selfish.

Edited to correct auto correct typos

Last edited:
As has been posted many (many) times, it's just not this straightforward, for a number of reasons.

It is though.

Again, for the current trips, I think they should do everything to help people who have booked trips and are uncomfortable. Absolutely.

But for the future...there are 4 Dog-Friendly resorts and 20+ Dog-Free. Plenty to choose from. It's very straightforward

Thanks for the POR pictures! My daughter used to do cartwheels on that patch of grass. I would imagine all grass needs to be avoided now. Gross.

So basically everything looks the same, it's just the addition of those dog bins. It doesn't look very official. I do imagine owners will just take their dogs out to the closest patch of grass nearest their room.

Wildlife has been using that grass long before this change.

That's fine, I was told by Guest services at Fort Wilderness it will be all the cabins, no specific separate area.

As we all know, anything ANYTHING that you are told over the phone by Guest services has about a 50% chance of being right. I think this is one of the those things we are going to have to see how it plays out.

Of course, we can't be sure what Walt would do or say, but he did have an incredible eye for detail and passion for the purity of the experience he wanted to create for people ... human people!

He wanted to create a place and experience that takes us humans away from our everyday stresses and he worked on this considering every angle and last detail. ...Building sight lines, landscaping, music, no smoking or alcohol etc. etc. etc.. He didn't want anything to break the spell.

Especially if he was alive now in 2017 (bearing in mind his revolutionary, refined and exacting approach), I really do think he would recognise that dogs (beloved as they may have been to him) do not add to the escape and magic he imagined. I think he'd see that not only do dogs actually create stress for groups of people, they also create stress for the environment he was building.

I can imagine him opting for a completely separate resort, with completely separate transport. I can imagine him considering every aspect of this issue and how every eventuality would be managed. I can imagine him disliking the fact that people who loved his fantasy world are falling out of love with it because of this development (and others) that jolt one out of the magical environment he held dear.

Everything Walt Disney created that was new, fantastical and cutting edge didn't come about because he followed the crowd - the crowd in this case being other hotels, resorts, places for human leisure.

Trying to figure out what a man who has been dead for 50 years would think is a useless endeavor. But I'll play...Walt wanted to create a park that families could enjoy together. Many, many people consider their dogs members of the family. So he could have been 100% for this change to the point that he'd even want to allow pets inside the parks.

It is straightforward though

Again, for the future, I think they should do everything to help people who have booked trips and are uncomfortable. Absolutely.

But for the future...there are 4 Dog-Friendly resorts and 20+ Dog-Free. Plenty to choose from. It's very straightforward

Sigh. No it isn't. And simply saying it is this straightforward doesn't make it true for people who were already severely limited in resort choice due to party size, budget and accommodation availability and are now much more limited, possibly shut out altogether.

It, also, doesn't make it true that dogs on Disney transport can't affect guests staying at ANY resort - they can. So, that is another factor, complication and stress and certainly not straightforward.

There's more, but it's all been written clearly so many times already! I'll leave people to read, re-read or ignore those kinds of detailed posts.

They should help those who are booked now.

For the future, there are 20+ Dog-Free resorts

I think they are covered in terms of accommodation laws[/QUOTE

Wrong. At Ft Wilderness now that they will allow dogs in the Cabins and internal busses; there are NO clean, safe areas left. And THAT IS against the law under ADA which I just pointed out to George K and the rest of that crew.

Sigh. No it isn't. And simply saying it is this straightforward doesn't make it true for people who were already severely limited in resort choice due to party size, budget and accommodation availability and are now much more limited, possibly shut out altogether.

It, also, doesn't make it true that dogs on Disney transport can't affect guests staying at ANY resort - they can. So, that is another factor, complication and stress and certainly not straightforward.

There's more, but it's all been written clearly so many times already! I'll leave people to read, re-read or ignore those kinds of detailed posts.

As far as Magical Express, if one flew on a plane, they probably flew with a dog on the plane or at least the chance of a dog on a plane. I would assume people would be prepared for that

Everyone has limitations as to where they can stay for various reasons.

The fact remains there are still 20+ resorts to choose from with all sorts of different room configurations and price points etc.

?..Trying to figure out what a man who has been dead for 50 years would think is a useless endeavor. But I'll play...Walt wanted to create a park that families could enjoy together. Many, many people consider their dogs members of the family. So he could have been 100% for this change to the point that he'd even want to allow pets inside the parks.

I disagree that it's useless or, even impossible to get close to. It's especially relevant for a company and place that is/was as unique as Disney to try to emulate the same attention to detail that Walt valued.

I can imagine Walt would respect dogs as family members, but not that he would ignore everything else I wrote in my post relating to the ways they would - as animals - impact the magic for the humans.

There's so much more to it than dogs being beloved family members for some. Walt most definitely had a more open mind than that and a broader concern for his venture.

Last edited:
Wrong. At Ft Wilderness now that they will allow dogs in the Cabins and internal busses; there are NO clean, safe areas left. And THAT IS against the law under ADA which I just pointed out to George K and the rest of that crew.

What about service dogs? Service dogs have always been allowed on the buses and in every hotel room on property.

Yacht Club? Seriously? What an AWFUL idea. I am literally fuming. If a dog so much as approaches me or my family whilst we are enjoying the resort I will not be happy. Let alone seeing dogs in the corridors and public areas or risking getting a "dog infested" room. Disney are out of their mind - absolutely the WORST decision they have ever made.

I had a discussion with my wife last night about the trial run and which resorts were part of. Her heart sank, when I told here that Art of Animation is part of the test group. I have two young children and one on the way. They love puppies and always want to pet them when they see them.

That being said, I've had pets (Dogs and cats) most of my life, but we would always find a friend to take care of them or board them. When your on vacation, it's just that, your on vacation. I for one have stayed in several pet friendly hotels throughout the years and the one over riding thing I can remember from all of them was the smell. I don't care how well you think you clean, the smell is never truly eliminated. Accidents will and are going to happen. With the turnaround that is expected on each room at each resort, I don't see how they are going to be able to turn a room quickly, while inspecting for unreported accidents from irresponsible owners, because you know that is going to happen. Don't get me started on the whole barking thing, let alone where they will relieve themselves...

"Was that a puddle of water we just walk through or something else..." :worried:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
If someone has a severe dog allergy, do they now have to request a "deep clean"? Or are rooms that have had a dog stay in it automatically getting a deep clean? Is there an added cost for requesting a "deep clean"? There shouldn't be...if the hotel is going to allow dogs, and we all know how spotty housekeeping is under the best of circumstances, then any requests for a deep clean at a pet friendly resort should be free. And why the heck aren't rooms getting "deep cleaned" all the time anyway?? (I know the answer is cost, but seriously...clean the room).

On our stay at BWV last year they gave us a room that had just had the rug shampooed. I assume it had been deep cleaned due to a service dog, but I didn't ask. The carpet was SOAKING WET when we got in the room around 4pm and was still damp by morning (and they refused to move us). That's fun.

They should help those who are booked now.

For the future, there are 20+ Dog-Free resorts

I think they are covered in terms of accommodation laws

The resort we are booked at turned into a dog friendly resort with two days notice. What is to stop Disney from deciding to expand the number of dog friendly resorts later with no warning? It is easy to say that there are 20 resorts that don't allow dogs. But Disney has shown that you can't depend on those resorts remaining that way.

I hope that everyone who emails guest services to complain about the dog trial adds the request to keep the rest of the 20 resorts dog free. I don't want to go through this again. :(

It is though.

Again, for the current trips, I think they should do everything to help people who have booked trips and are uncomfortable. Absolutely.

Until the trial is over and they decide to 48-hour notice drop that every resort is pet-friendly. “Oh that would never happen.” It just did to those of us who love any of these 4 resorts.

I understand both sides. Yes, some people are overreacting, but no one saw this coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter