Trip insurance when paying with points

chieften

Earning My Ears
I'd like to know how people have handled trip insurance when paying with points rather than cash. Is it a DVC proposition only since many insurance companies base the premiums on cash value? We are cruising 11/1 and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

We always went with the insurance company whose pamplet was included with our DVC ressie. We've bought throught them for our cruise (part DVC points part cash) and for a week we spent on Vero Beach on points. We insured our points and cash along with the health insurance type of stuff. (Don't know the official name.)

I've seen other posts in the DVC board where those have said its about $5 per point.

Cheryl

Hi! The name of the company is Travel Guard International. They have a special program for DVC members to insure the value of the points used for a trip. It's their "P1" plan.

Here's the info off the sheet I received:

"The reimbursement amount is calculated by multiplying the # of points used for the reservation by $5.00. The premium is determined by multiplying the reimbursement amount by 5%.
Example - 150 DVC points X $5= $750
$750 X 5% = $ 37.50- min premium is $29

Air & Medical are separate. Call Travelguard at 1-866-690-6858 for an exact quote. Must be purchased prior to the start of DVC's penalty period.

The $ value of the cruise in points will look low in comparison with cash prices. I think this is what DVC actually pays DCL for the cruise. Then they rent out your DVC points to outside guests to recoup the monies.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter