Trip planning and borrowing points

4Ds4Diz

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip for June 2020. My use year is June. I was planning on using banked 2019 points, using the 2020 points and borrowing 2021. Will this work? When I book at the 11 month mark in July 2019, will those points be available since the trip isn't until 2020? This gets me confused. Please help! Thanks in advance. :worship:

I have never tried it myself, but I once talked with the people at DVC reservations specifically about this, and it should work, no problems.

If your use year is June, then it starts June 1st.

Your new points for each new year, and the next year, are unlocked on June 1st. They are always there, but you can now use them for vacations in that use year, and reserve that vacation 11 months in advance.

So, if you bank the points from 2019, they become available for use on reservations that start on or after June 1st, 2020.

Plus, you can use the points that are from the 2020 use year.

Plus, you can now borrow points from the 2021 use year, and bring them back, into the 2020 use year, and use them on vacations that take place in the 2020 use year.

So, you can add all these points together, to schedule a vacation that starts on or after June 1st 2020, and ends before May 31st 2021.

Hope this is clear

Last edited:
I am planning a trip for June 2020. My use year is June. I was planning on using banked 2019 points, using the 2020 points and borrowing 2021. Will this work? When I book at the 11 month mark in July 2019, will those points be available since the trip isn't until 2020? This gets me confused. Please help! Thanks in advance. :worship:
Try to think of it this way...When you purchased your DVC contract, you purchased ALL of the points until the day that the contract expires. Those points are available during the UY in which the reservation falls (the "current" UY as far as the reservation is concerned), or the UY following the year the points are from (banked points) and the UY following the year the points are from (borrowed points).

Someone likened your points to buckets of points with each "bucket" representing a UY. You can "pour" the points from a neighboring bucket into one bucket by either banking or borrowing. But once you do it, those points have to stay in that new bucket. You can then withdraw points from that bucket to make a reservation that falls between the beginning and the end of that UY.

In your case, you have a June UY and a trip planned for June 2020. So you can "pour" your bucket of 2019 points into your June 2020 UY (banking) and then pour more points from your 2021 UY bucket into the June 2020 bucket. The points that would then be in your June 2020 bucket would be good for any reservation for a stay between June 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021.

When I book at the 11 month mark in July 2019, will those points be available since the trip isn't until 2020? This gets me confused.

Don't let it.

If we had to wait until the points were obviously there, traveling in the first month of your UY would never be possible, right? Because you wouldn't be able to reserve until that month. LIke, my February trips for Princess, combined with a February UY, wouldn't be possible.

But I book in March of the year before for my February trips, because that's when I can book my home resort. I used 2019 points to book my February 2019 trip, and I booked it in March of 2018.

In previous years I've needed to bank points to help out that trip. So I booked in March of 2017 for my February 2018 trip, and I banked 2017 points (which were good from Feb 2017 through Jan 2018) into 2018 (making them usable for trips from Feb 2018 through Jan 2019), and then I booked in March of 2017 for that February 2018 trip.

Write down when each year's points are good for. So your June UY means:

2019 points are "naturally" usable for trips from June 2019 through May 2020
2020 points are "naturally" usable for trips from June 2020 through May 2021
2021 points are "naturally" usable for trips from June 2021 through May 2022

When you bank those 2019 points, you cause them to be usable for trips from June 2020 through May 2021.
When you borrow those 2020 points, you cause them to be usable for trips from June 2020 through May 2021.

So now you'll have a big clump of points that can be used for trips between June 2020 and the end of May 2021.

And those points can be used to BOOK that trip 11 months out from the start of the trip, meaning July of 2019.

Yes, it will work.

You have to bank the 2019 points before they will be available to use in booking the June 2020 trip and of course have to bank prior to your banking deadline. You borrow any 2021 points that you need at the time you are doing the booking.

Remember, its all about the vacation and when it happens, not when you call. If you know the UY of your trip, then you know that you can "pay" for it with banked points from the UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and borrow points from the UY after the trip when making the reservation, regardless of when that call is made (or when booking online).

So, June 2020 trip is in your 2020 UY...which means, banked 2019, 2020, and borrowed 2021 points! Exactly what you thought was possible!

Awesome! Thank you for your replies. I love this board for all the great help, advice and of course, great people.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter