Trip Report from this past week and I just fell out of love with Disney

Wow. This thread has everything!

I do feel bad for those who have had crappy trips. I’m sure I’m due...

Though, nothing stays the same and that is tough for people. But it takes higher prices and more crowded parks to build a $1 billion expansion like Galaxy’s Edge. I also get the “I’m packing up and going to Universal”. It’s a great park. In my opinion, it still doesn’t have the “feels” that Disney provides even with all the warts. Plus, I’ve seen a scary packed Wizarding World and 5-hour waits for Hagrid’s only for it to break down. The grass isn’t always greener.

True. The grass isn’t always greener. We have no interest in Universal either. Or any crowded theme park. Could be that we’ve been there, done that. Could be getting a little older. Could be the Covid leftovers. A year has passed. One of the worst years for so many.I still have, at least, mixed emotions. I miss it, my trips with friends, cousins and my family. But I also don’t miss it. I can’t imagine standing in a long line or eating in a crowded restaurant, or swimming in a public pool, there, home or anywhere - not yet anyway. The experience of my family and I getting so sick, the insane crowds and lack of that ol’ Disney magic is still prevalent in my mind. We’re actually still thinking about selling most of our points, or transferring them to our adult kids. I did book a few nights in December to meet up with friends, and maybe we’ll actually go, but it won’t be a park trip. That much I know for sure. Perhaps that trip will help-bring us back to the love of disney we once had, or perhaps it’ll lean us further toward being over it. Either way, I guess a trip back is the way to find out.

I used to get all tingly watching the commercials or reading the Disney Files. Now I rarely bother. So much has changed. I hope it comes back. It used to be one of my 3 happiest places. We will see.

I must say though, it’s good to know so many still love it they way I used to and so many still get so excited about it. Disney should be a forever place, just maybe not for us anymore....

enjoy your planning and making those special memories!
Dee

Just found this thread. I'll be doing a half Universal, half Disney trip in March and I'll be very interested in seeing how they compare. I'm staying at Caribbean Beach, and it will be my last non-DVC trip while I'm waiting for my contract to close. I'l staying at Royal Pacific with express unlimited at Universal, so I don't think it will be a fair comparison, but I'm interested in comparing the parks and seeing how City Walk compares to DS or the Boardwalk.

I actually enjoy Universal and CityWalk, but it can get crowded too, but their express pass rocks

This happens so much. I can’t even count how many times I’ve seen people fall out of love with Disney. And it’s always the ones who’ve put there heart and soul into it. There is even a book out there by a couple who just shreds Disney apart because they done them wrong.

Maybe the secret is to not fall so hard. It’s a sentimental place that has a lot to offer and it will change and whatever.

Though, nothing stays the same and that is tough for people. But it takes higher prices and more crowded parks to build a $1 billion expansion like Galaxy’s Edge. I also get the “I’m packing up and going to Universal”. It’s a great park. In my opinion, it still doesn’t have the “feels” that Disney provides even with all the warts. Plus, I’ve seen a scary packed Wizarding World and 5-hour waits for Hagrid’s only for it to break down. The grass isn’t always greener.
Agree with this. Even with the bumps along the way, Disney far outpaces Universal for me. We’ve been to Universal twice. Our January trip there allowed us to see and do it all because no one was there. As a result the parks lacked something intangible. The lack of people was actually off putting. On the flip side, we did a holiday trip there. Universal’s crowds and their crowd management were abysmal. 75 minute wait for Gringott’s with Express Pass and then the ride went down. I’ve actually had Gringott’s go down four of the five times I’ve tried to ride it.

So I’ll take Disney over Universal every time. I agree crowds are worse, but I’m still able to have a very successful trip with good planning. We were at WDW the same time as the OP and had a very different experience. Sometimes you get unlucky and a park “eats you for breakfast” as I say. It’s happened to me. The day where everything goes wrong. On those days it’s best to pivot and try a new plan of attack to salvage the day.

room 2059 is the noisiest room in the resort
OMG!!! We were in 2061 (right next door) last week and I totally understand what you are talking about!!!! I loved the location and the view was decent too. But it was right over the cobblestone walkway and anytime the CM's with any sort of rolling cart/bin walked through it was so noisy!!!

you read my mind on what I was going to say lol. The crowds at universal can be even worse. We have APs for universal Orlando because it’s much cheaper than an AP for Disney, but that’s what can make it soooo much busier. It’s in some ways more affordable and can make it actually worse. Plus universal has virtual queues and paid front of the line pass so I find them to be comparable. In the end, I would never turn my back on Disney no matter how busy it feels, I just plan more. I also avoid the worst times of the year.
The grass is never greener

So now, in retrospect, I'm wondering if we actually had coronavirus? I'm hearing some people get the vomiting along with the fever and chills and aches and pains? It was a 10 day from hell thing for me - altogether. I'm patiently waiting for the antibody tests to be available, (like everyone else) to know one way or the other.

Also, after my recent experience with Marriott's response to owners due to COVID19, Disney has yet again become top notch for us! How ironic after all my complaining about the crowds. How utterly incomprehensible that due to the virus, every place on earth now has to rethink how to handle crowded places in the future.

After all is said and done....bottom line, my thoughts and prayers are with the entire planet. Priorities for health, safety and family have never been so loud and clear.

Wishing everyone safety and health.
Dee
seeing your symptoms, as a nurse, I'm wondering the same.

seeing your symptoms, as a nurse, I'm wondering the same.

I didn’t have the antibodies. I took the antibody test in May if I remember correctly.
Our next (non park) trip back is December. I want to be there again.....I think. Giving it a shot, slow paced and relaxed. See how we feel about it.

Really interesting thread, the varying opinions are insightful and I can see why some folks have a I love it!/and not so much love it relationship with Disney :-)

One thing that a few people mentioned was the frustration with Disney building more resorts instead of more parks. I am certainly not an expert on this but from what I have read the building of resorts is more about getting people to stay on Disney property instead of off site than it is to increase the number of people in the parks. I do think Disney will need to either add a park or expand existing parks/attractions/rides or limit ticket sales to manage crowds, but I don't think crowd sizes are affected by them building additional resorts. The crowds will come to Disney regardless of where people stay, Disney is just trying to pull those folks into the "Disney bubble" to maximize the profits they might be missing from the people already planning to visit Disney World but stay off site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter