Trip Report - Part Two (Pendlebury Vacation)

spendleb

Mouseketeer
Right onto the parks we visited :-

The big one - Disneyland

Firstly I want to say how great it is to have Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney so close together, it made hopping simple and our days were so much more filled in because of it.

Right Disneyland, first impressions were of a much smaller park than the one in Florida but somehow we liked it more, it as easy to navigate and there seemed more to do with having MGM style rides in the same park, we both believe we prefer this to WDW, even the entrance is easier without the monorail/boat ride.

The castle itself seems smaller but that might be our imagination?

Onto the rides - we loved Matterhorn, the left side seemed quicker and a smoother ride but we went on loads of times, top tip for all the rides is to get there early, there were no queues until at least 2 hours after the parks
opened (well apart from Peter Pan which always seemed busy).

Small World is better than WDW, a much more impressive ride although the song doesn't get any better and stays in your head all day.

All the fantasyland rides are the same but we have never been able to get on Dumbo before in WDW but had no problems here, oh yeah the Storybook land and Train ride were new to us and we all enjoyed them.

Indiana Jones was great, again no queue, in fact we never used Fast Pass once not even on the 2nd day of the 50th celebrations!

Same with Splash, Thunder and Haunted Mansion, same as WDW, Pirates was a massive improvement though, those first few drops are great and the whole ride is a lot better.

Toontown was OK, not much there really and we only went once. Same with Tomorrowland, maybe once Space Mountain reopens it will be better, Buzz was a better ride than WDW though and Autopia appeared easier to control the cars than WDW!

Also the trash can that follows you round is inspired, I love it!

All in all, it was brilliant, previous reports indicated a jaded poor version of WDW, we found the exact opposite, very clean, everything appeared new and sparkling, the CM's were great, in fact I can't find a single fault. The new parade and fireworks were brilliant too, we watched them straight after Fantasmic and it was a night to remember!

PS Goofy's Kitchen was great, loads of character interaction and how much food!! I gained 11 pounds over two weeks and I think most of it was in here!

California Adventure

Again heard reports saying it was a 'barnacle' on Disneyland's side, we loved it, Soaring over California was brilliant, Tyler was amazed and I had a tear in my eye by the end! The rapids were good and you didn't get soaked which was a bonus and the carnival rides were OK, Screaming was good fun especially with no queue (although the launch was slow compared to the ride at Knotts which I will cover later). Best ride though was the moving cars on the Sun Wheel, Wendy hated it but myself and Tyler loved it, his face was a picture each time it swung madly!

The Bugs Life section was fun although tame even for a 3 year old and TOT was great, I had avoided it in WDW last year as I recalled it being too much for me but I had two rides here and was surprised how tame it was, maybe
WDW has a longer drop?

Downtown Disney

Seemed a lot more shops and restaurants than WDW and brilliant being so close to the parks, the one in WDW seems so out of the way.

Knotts Berry Farm

Again another park we loved, Wild Western Theme, there is a ride called Xcelerator and wow, what a ride, you are launched at 0-80mph in 2.8 seconds up a vertical top hat then straight down the other side, I rode it 4 times and it was brilliant. Also rode a screaming swing that sent you very high, paid extra but a good laugh. The perilous Plunge was an experience, not sure I would ride again as it was pretty extreme and you get literally soaked to the skin!

The new Silver Bullet rollercoaster was also great, unfortunately Ghost Rider was closed (woodie) but again no queues all day even though like all the parks there was a lot of school trips.

Universal Studios

Worth a visit just for the views! Rides were mostly identical to Florida but the Mummy ride is a poor imitation, can't understand why they didn't make them the same? The tram ride is great though, a lot better than the one in Florida and you get a feel it is so much more of a working studio, the Jaws bit is not included now though which was a shame!

Jurassic Park also lacked the theming of it's Florida version and a few effects were broken. Beware though some rides are down a never ending series of escalators and on the way back up Tyler wanted me to carry him up the steps!!! Also the Citywalk area is great and again a lot more shops/restaurants than Florida but not as impressive without the lake etc.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Now I have wanted to visit this park ever since riding my first rollercoaster, now although I enjoyed the experience I would not go again, it is badly managed, the staff are rubbish, toilets very dirty and it's a shock compared to Disney etc.
On entry we paid $30 extra for a FastPass believing it would assist in not queuing with a 3 year old, after trying to use it we found that although we went down a FastPass line we joined the queue in the same place as the normal riders! I was fuming and demanded a refund to be told that FastPass only comes into effect once the queues are an hour long!!! Why didn't they tell us this when we bought it? Anyway they refunded after a few discussions with various people. Also we tried to use Child Swap on the first ride and the young lad told us we couldn't (none of the ride staff in the park appeared to speak much english), we checked with the people on the
help desk and they said all the rides should accept it, we tried a few more times but none of the staff appeared to understand the policy and how it worked (we had to explain the concept) so we gave up!

The rides themselves were good, Deja Vue was a blast and extreme, X was a massive disappointment, longest queue and worst ride, uncomfortable and not recommended. Goliath was great although broke down when Wendy went on, she was stuck on the lift hill for 20 minutes! Batman, Scream, Joker were all good rides too. There is a great area for kids too with a very large amount of rides, Tyler loved it.

PS If you are due to go soon, buy some Diet Cokes, they have an offer on them giving 2 for 1 admission!

Legoland

Nice park but tame, Tyler became bored quickly with the rides on offer although he loved the two small rollercoasters, not sure we would go again but did enjoy the day.

San Diego Zoo

Lovely Zoo but another disappointment for us, I think it was because they are in the middle of constructing a new area and everywhere seemed to be detoured and boarded up, we have seen nicer parks in Singapore and the UK really. Nice to see Panda's though!

SeaWorld

Again, great day thoroughly enjoyed by all three of us but not a patch on Florida, it seemed tiny compared, the Journey to Atlantis coaster was smaller and nowhere near as themed as it's counterpart. The rapids were avoided as you got soaked but we loved using the cannons on riders!! Shamu was identical and still a great show and the Haunted Lighthouse was great although be prepared to get wet! We thought we had lost Tyler in the Happy Harbour play area, why don't they make these place contained with one entrance/exit? We didn't relax once but found him eventually, the kiddie tag was a reassurance though if not needed!

If I think of anything else I will post but any questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks for the report! Can't wait to go to DL, and hope we have as much luck with queues as you did.
And yes, the castle is a lot smaller at DL. :flower:

I loved reading your reports and I am glad you had a great trip.
Growing up in Los Angeles and going to DL and Universal & Knotts many, many times over the years - it's a kick to read someone's impression of a first visit there. I have not been to Universal for 20 years and after reading your report I am inspired to go. When I was growing up it was just a studio tour with some shows - no rides or anything.
Thanks for sharing and glad you had a safe and happy holiday! :)

Almost forgot a big magical moment at Disney, we were stood at the top of Main Street deciding which way to go next when a big white hand took hold of Tyler's and took him off for a walk, it was Mickey!!! He walked quite a way with him hand in hand with an entourage of kids starting to join in, it was all over by the time we could react to start filming!!

Hi sounds like you had a great time,we fly out on Friday 20th May so I have been looking out for your report. Glad to hear that both the Hyatt Newporter and the HUmphreys Half Moon are good as we are also staying there.

Pleased to hear that the traffic was not so bad what time were you heading from the airport to the Hyatt and what route did you take? (Virgin did not put this route in their info pack, all the other instructions were there)

Have you any suggestions for our 1st day there as we want to explore a little and chill out after the flight?Then we are planning a day in DL how easy was it to get there.
Also did you need many "dressy" clothes for the evening or is it as casual as Orlando?

Any advice, tips are gratfully accepted.

Hi, you will love the Hyatt, the gardens are lovely with 3 swimming pools, felt very classy, they even have an open fire in the reception area, even when it was hot! We ate at Fashion Island which is a 5 minute drive, has loads of options like the Cheesecake Factory (great!) and the Californian Pizza Kitchen, also a Hard Rock Cafe. The Humphreys is sat on Shelter Island with a great view of the San Diego skyline, especially at night, it's lovely to walk down the front and there is a small beach with fire pits. It also has lovely gardens, my only comment would be to get a room away from the concert area, I can see it being noisy once the concerts start in mid May? Also great Italian restaurant within a 5 minute drive called Pizza Nova, great place otherwise we ate whilst out, there are loads of places to eat on the main road close by, all the usual Denny's etc. Also Target stores not far for shopping, let me know if you need directions (hotel gives a great map), same with the Hyatt as there is a Ralph's not far which you would never find!

Traffic was fine even in rush hour, don't worry about it at all, the M62 was worse before we set off! We didn't drive from the airport but I can check the map tonight as it was easy to get to Newport Beach from it, think it's the 402 but will check.

First day I would suggest exploring Newport and Balboa Island, you can walk to Balboa from the hotel and catch a ferry across to the Island, it's lovely and a great way to chill out.

It's easy to get to Disney (25 minutes), go straight up Jamboree Drive (where the hotel is) and follow signs for the 73 North, when on here get on the 55 North (few exits later), then from here get on the I5 North, when you are on here look for signs for Katella Drive (we sign posted), then when you exit go left straight away, this leads you into Anaheim, keep on here until you reach Disney Drive (massive sign saying Theme Parks), turn right and you pass Downtown Disney etc and then the carpark structure is on the right hand side. It's very easy.

Clothes is casual, I kept shorts on most of the time but it does get a lot chillier, thin long trousers and a summer jacket might be advisable?

If you need anything else please ask, I love to talk about it right now!

Thanks for the info, just a few more questions.

1 What is Ralphs?
2 How do prices of food,tickets etc compare to Orlando?
3 Did you buy your passes for Disney at the gate ?
4How was the flying, how long and how many hours different?

Will probably think of some more, have you put a link to your report on the UK board as I am sure a few people will be interested.

5 Was it easy to get T/C cashed?in shops etc

Small World is better than WDW, a much more impressive ride although the song doesn't get any better and stays in your head all day.
Yeah, you can never get that song out of your head, can you? :earsboy:
PS Goofy's Kitchen was great, loads of character interaction and how much food!! I gained 11 pounds over two weeks and I think most of it was in here!
As I was reading this part, you had me in tears! :rotfl2: My wife came over to see what was so funny! Goofy's Kitchen is one of our favorites. You should definitely go there when you're hungry because you'll leave really full!

Too bad Magic Mountain wasn't that great. At least you did it once, right?

For Knott's, did you get to try the fried chicken dinner?

Well, glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself visiting CA. Is there another trip for you out here in the future?

Yes, we will be back to CA without doubt, there is so much to see and do, I want to come and live there!!

So glad you had a great trip ! You can see why we DL lovers get a tad annoyed when people try to intimate that DL is a "pale" version of WDW, and not worth the time!
Thanks for such a nice contribution to the Trip reports board :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter