• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Summary - DLP May 22-26 2005

uksaint

Mouseketeer
Too disorganised (or too lazy) to do a full trip report, so thought I'd share this summary of our first family trip to DLP. (Me 35, DW 34, DS 4, DD 1)

The Journey- Having made a last minute switch from Air to Train, we were pleased with the Eurostar. It was so easy - the train could have been a little cleaner - but it was a perfectly pleasant way to travel and it was just great to arrive in the heart of DLP.

The Accommodation - We stayed at the Explorers for four nights. I will post more on this in another thread, but suffice to say we found it perfectly adequate and would happily consider staying there again.

The Weather - Two days in the mid 60's with a couple of short showers, two days of low 80's blazing sun. No complaints here.

The Parks - Disneyland Park is a great theme park, yet we did not feel the same 'magic' that we get in Orlando. It was there in small doses, but somehow just not the same. For example, we love bumping into characters almost by chance - the surprise element - and this seems to happen frequently in Orlando. In Paris, character interaction is much more limited - two favorites, Minnie and Piglet were nowhere to be found - Mickey could be found at the right time, and Goofy, Stitch, Chip and Dale, Robin Hood and the Princesses seemed to be in regular attendance so it could have been worse.

The parade was enjoyable, but again there did not seem to be the same level of character interaction with the crowd that we have experienced in Florida. The only sit down restaurant we tried was Silver Spur, and the steak was fantastic. Service was good, although the restaurant was less than half full.

Of the rides, I cannot speak highly enough of Space Mountain: Mission 2. I really dislike the old Florida Space Mountain, but this one is the dogs doodahs. Could happily ride over and over. BTMR was definitely an improvement over the already good florida version, and IASW was fantastic (and I never thought I'd say that as the florida version bores me silly). Pirates of the Caribbean was excellent, although a bit dark and sinister in parts for some of the younger kids. Star Tours is as much fun as ever - never get tired of that. Peter Pan still fails to impress - thankfully we had fastpasses cos I'd have really been unhappy if we had queued in the 45 min line for that one. The availability of space for kids to run loose is also very good - Pocahontas Village, Adventure Isle, Alices Labyrinth.

The CMs - in general we found them very helpful and fairly cheerful. Only once was I not pleased - with a till assistant in the store at the entrance to Discoveryland, my DS4 wanted to buy some things with his own money and he wanted to do it himself - he was having a little difficulty trying to juggle his purchases and his money and was trying his best to give everything to the assistant. However, she was being very impatient and kept telling him to hurry up - virtually snatching the items out of his hands. I was not happy, but it was an isolated incident. Food and Drink prices were high, but we knew that going in. We typically spent about £23 for counter service, and £55 for table service. McD's in the Village was a bargain at only £13.

Disney Studios - wasn't impressed. RnR didn't seem as good as I remembered it. Tram tour was closed. Carpets were fun. Didn't do much else as DS was not in the mood for shows. Overall though, this park has the distinct feel of something that is a long way from finished.

Val D'Europe - Not overly impressed with the shopping - prices seemed high - although grabbed a couple of bargains in the Tommy Hilfiger store in the Outlets. Food Court was good and reasonably priced. Sealife Centre was a good diversion for a couple of hours.

Summary of summary - We enjoyed our visit - we can't do Orlando this year and this was our substitute Disney fix. It was exactly that, an acceptable substitute but no match for the real thing. The most telling thing for me is that when I leave Disney in Orlando, I feel sad...with that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach - I didn't have that when I left DLRP.

Andy

Andy, that was a great summary - thank you. Almost a Trip Report, really ;)

It's funny how different people have different experiences isn't it? I must admit on my first (and only so far) trip to DLP I wondered if it would be a second best to WDW. For me and my family, it wasn't for lots of different reasons - some areas we think WDW is superior and others, DLP.

It sounds like you had a great time though which is the main thing :)

Hi Andy,

Great trip report! I'm curious about what you said about preferring WDW over DLP. I used to live in Canada and during that time we drove down to WDW a few times. We now live in the Uk and have been to DLP three times. I have found the opposite of you in that I much prefer DLP. I feel that the architecture is much prettier with a more European flair more in keeping with the original fairy tales that inspired Disney. I also feel that DLP is much more manageable for very young children. Now that being said I haven't been to WDW in about 15 years and I am wondering has it perhaps changed/improved. We are considering a trip to WDW in the next year and am interested to hear more on your views of the differences between the two and your reasons for preferring WDW.

Cheers :flower:

Now that being said I haven't been to WDW in about 15 years and I am wondering has it perhaps changed/improved.

Lots of channges in the last 15 years, including the addition of the Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, the development of DTD and many many more resorts and eateries to choose from. This is not mentioning individual attractions that have been added :)

I am with you on the beauty of DLP though :)

Thanks Miffy! A lot has apparently been added to WDW. Where would one start? I would say a great deal of planning will be involved to get us to WDW. Perhaps it is futile comparing DLP and WDW as WDW sounds as though it is on a completely different scale to DLP. I think a trip to WDW is just a completely different sort of holiday than one to DLP ie..different theme parks galore including water parks, American shopping outlets, staying in villas with private pools, a much longer stay. It's starting to sound better by the minute :Pinkbounc

Nicola, that's how I see WDW & DLP - two totally different experiences, but complimentary!

Andy - a million apologies for going off topic :blush:

Don't get me wrong - Disneyland Park is a wonderful theme park. IT is difficult to compare WDW and DLRP as they are different experiences - however, the comparison I was attempting to draw was purely on the level where one feels they are immersed in the DISNEY EXPERIENCE. It is something of an intangible - thats why I could only draw on the sad feeling I know I experience when leaving WDW - equally, I could tell you that several times during a WDW vacation something will happen that just makes me feel like crying with happiness (Being a guy, I do my best to suppress such feelings). But nothing really came close to that at DLRP.

As such, I would say that DLRP is a great theme park in the same vein that Universal Orlando is a great theme park, but for me, it didn't make me 'feel the Disney magic' in the same way that WDW seems to do.

Don't know if that makes any sense.....but hey, I know what I mean.

Andy

Makes total sense Andy, sat here listening to Reflections of Earth and doing alot of suppressing! Agree to the sad feeling at the end of the holiday and trying to think how the hell can I get back seeing th 'see you soon' sign on the way out for the last time is when it starts to sink in!
But that is where the difference is, DLP is beautiful but I don't think anyone will be able to bring the true magic out of America. They're having a good go though.
Anthony

Thanks for the report Andy.:goodvibes I've yet to go to DLP so am keeping a very open mind. My parents have been to WDW and DL California, my mum always says that MK in WDW doesn't have the same sort of magic feeling for her that MK in DL California has.

Great short read - thanks for taking time. Its a shame about your sons experience - where was that cms Disney heart!! Lol - are you sure about this letting him buy his own stuff - remember he will grow and his needs will become more expensive!! :flower:

Excellent summary Andy, thank you for explaining the differences in the overall feel of WDW vs. DLP.
I'm sorry to hear about your son's shopping experience. It's funny you should report that; DH and I were discussing the ways that DLP would differ from our previous WDW trips, and we did in fact guess that one of the main differences would be in the cast members. On our last trip last May, DD- four at the time, was in a similar situation as your son. However, the cast member let her use the register herself to ring up her own items as if she was the sales associate. She was absolutely delighted to have access to a real register. She was then given a special certificate as being a special helper.
It's those pixie dust moments that have us returning to WDW every other year, and what I presume will be a one-time trip to DLP- just a diversion on a larger trip visiting family in Italy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter