TRIPTIC

I'm not sure if AAA still has them. When I check with my local affiliate, they now have an online TripTik system.

This says that they still have them.

https://magazine.northeast.aaa.com/daily/travel/road-trips/paper-maps-triptiks-still/
I still miss the California State Automobile Association road maps. They were the absolutely finest road maps ever made. Some maps were produced by the Automobile Club of Southern California or national AAA, and none were as good.

The AAA map has become something of a traveler's icon over the decades, a no-cost product appreciated for both its utility and its beauty. In the tightly-knit mapmaking world, CSAA's products are a yardstick by which other roadmaps are measured.​
"They're exemplary, especially the county and regional series. The standard of design and accuracy of the work is fantastic," said Stuart Allan, founder of Allan Cartography in Medford, Ore., one of the deans of mapmaking in the West.​
The association is getting out of mapmaking for reasons of "cost and efficiency" as demand for traditional maps declines, said CSAA spokeswoman Jenny Mack. But road maps will still be available to members, she said.​

As a kid I think my parents got them so I could follow along on road trips and would not ask are we there yet?
Yep! I loved them when I was a kid. When they showed up in the mail, my dad would look at them a bit, then just hand them over to me. Now that I think about it, they are probably part of the reason I still enjoy trip planning so much.

Last edited:
It varies by region. I worked at AAA in upstate NY back in 2009, and at that time, they still offered the manual one with the highlighter but it needed to be ordered from our "main" location in the region and had a 3 day lead time. Years ago, you could get one while you waited. Our office offered a digital one to be printed while you waited, which was essentially AAA's version of Google Maps (still showed construction and closures), but it was bound in a book format and showed the map with step by step directions on each page. I know our region still offers both options, and they also have one you can print at home on our region's web site. They will also ship the TripTik to you.

I loved them also! It did feel like a big accomplishment turning to that next page lol. And I liked all the little descriptions of the area you were driving through. My dad always used the pages given at the back for logging mileage and gas, etc. Lots of driving vacations as a kid....we kept all the Trip Tiks, they make me smile when I see them!

I used to LOVE those flip books, probably have some from Lake Buena Vista tucked away. Nothing bugs me more than GPS refusing to let me pick an alternate route with different jumping off points, a map doesn't limit my scope so there is still a stop by AAA for a map before a drive. If they do away with maps then AAA is, for me at least, really just a prepay tow service.

Speaking of AAA, I really used to like their teaming with WDW. They had great deals on tickets/packages and we always got tickets there along with the maps but that is gone now.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the other thread. The Online TripTik is pretty good, but there's a learning curve to it. Once you figure it out... well, it can still be a bit frustrating, but you can then get a pdf and print it out or put it on a tablet.

A nice feature is that you can indicate how often you want to take a break (say every 4 hours) and the builder will indicate the approximate location(s) they expect you to be at so you can find an exit or whatever. I don't recall if they have anything that will let you know things like "this stretch of road in West Virginia is known for speed traps" or similar. I'll need to check and see if I still have my pdfs.

@Skywalker I also loved those descriptions on the back of the map strips. We didn't travel much when I was a child, but when I had my own family, I used them as we drove around the country. As soon as we turned to a new strip, I would read aloud the information to the family as we drove.

I do access the online version, but nothing beats those old strip triptiks.

I used one is 2017 and walked right into a AAA branch and it was printed out. I find them helpful to hand to a passenger to help with the navigation.

I loved them too! Nothing can compare to that family drive to WDW with us kids in the back seat watching the exit numbers whizz by and then voila! it's time to turn the page! So exciting! Feel like I need a road trip now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter