Tron 2.0?

WDWHound

DIS Veteran
I recently bought the 20th anniversary edition of Tron (sigh, has it really been 20 years?). All through out the added features disk, they keep reffering to Tron 2.0. They even show some concept artwork. Does anyone know if they still plan to make this? It would be interesting to see what they could do with the kind of graphics power available these days.

The saga of the ‘Tron’ sequel…

Briefly, yes, this movie is still in the works. It’s in a place called “development hell” where movies spend time until everyone can agree on what to make. The makers of the original ‘Tron’ see a massive sweeping grand epic filled with cutting edge effects and visuals. Michael Eisner sees another direct-to-video sequel. The man in the middle saw a fairly large movie that could become Disney’s long sought after “franchise” movies – a movie you can make endless sequels out of like ‘Jurassic Park’ or ‘Rush Hours’ or ‘The Mummy’. The man, however, took Michael’s wrath for ‘Pearl Harbor’ and ‘Atlantis’ is isn’t at the studio anymore.

The biggest single hurdle to getting out of development hell is to come up with a script that everyone likes. Or at least one that everyone can tolerate. The last full script I heard about goes something like this. Flynn goes back inside the computer and finds a program even nastier than the MCP. This new system is on the verge of taking over the entire Internet and every computer in the world. Flynn contacts a group of young good looking computer hackers representing favorable marketing demographics and they enter the computer to rescue Flynn and save the world. These kids, at one point called ‘The Warriors of Tron’ before Eisner got hypersensitive about anything military, would have been the focus of future movies and a Saturday morning cartoon show (like I said, this is direct-to-video sequel thinking).

According to “rumors”, the release of the 20th Anniversary video was supposed to have been part of the marketing campaign for the theatrical release of ‘Tron 2.0’. Instead, it became kind of a grenade thrown at Disney to get The Mouse moving on the project again. Word is that the sales have been fairly good, but The Company’s money problems are still delaying a budget and production. At this point, it’s very unclear if ‘Tron 2.0’ will be made.

And if you dare, go over to http://www.tronkillerapp.com .

End of Line.

Thanks for the info AV. I hope this project finally sees the light of day with enough of a budget to be worthwhile. With the right script and enough money, this could really be something.

Great website, just enough there to evoke curiosity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter