Trouble with Disney Gift Cards?

Cindylieu

Mouseketeer
I am currently (the past 2 days) trying to pay for park tickets with my Disney Gift Cards. The website is rejecting my payment. (The card is definitely full)

I called and the folks at ticketing tried and failed to get any of my 3 cards to run; their verdict is that this is a Disney problem. They expect it to be fixed in the next few days.

My question: have any of you experienced this card system failure? Is it frequent? Should I expect this to continue to be an issue? We don't plan to go until January, so there is plenty of time for Disney to work this stuff out in time for our trip. I have plans to pay for my entire trip with Disney Gift Cards (hotel and tickets) prepaid from home. The one big snag I see...I plan to pay for dining on the cards while I am there at Disney World, but if I am going to run into this problem frequently/randomly then I may want to rethink my plan. I don't want to have a bunch of money tied up on a Disney Gift card and then not be able to use it and not be able to put it back in my bank account!

Your thoughts? Experiences?

My tip: if you are going to use DIsney Gift Cards for payment on a trip, have a long timetable and a backup plan!

Have you checked them on the disney gift card site and tried to transfer the balance to a new card?
Yep. All of the cards are functioning correctly on the gift card site. I have transferred money between all of them. Disney tried all of them. Disney can see the balances. Their payment system is not processing gift cards as payment right now.

My main question is whether this is a frequent issue for everyone or just an obnoxious coincidence for me.

Yesterday they were having issues with putting through credit cards on the system. CM explained that they have been having issues and IT was working on it and she would call me back when it was resolved. So this could very well be related to that.:confused3

Last edited:

I was on the Disney gc site the other day and got a message about not being able to combine GCs at this time but they were working on it or something to that effect. I was just checking balances on old cards so I wasn’t trying to combine any the message just popped up

I am currently (the past 2 days) trying to pay for park tickets with my Disney Gift Cards. The website is rejecting my payment. (The card is definitely full)

I called and the folks at ticketing tried and failed to get any of my 3 cards to run; their verdict is that this is a Disney problem. They expect it to be fixed in the next few days.

My question: have any of you experienced this card system failure? Is it frequent? Should I expect this to continue to be an issue? We don't plan to go until January, so there is plenty of time for Disney to work this stuff out in time for our trip. I have plans to pay for my entire trip with Disney Gift Cards (hotel and tickets) prepaid from home. The one big snag I see...I plan to pay for dining on the cards while I am there at Disney World, but if I am going to run into this problem frequently/randomly then I may want to rethink my plan. I don't want to have a bunch of money tied up on a Disney Gift card and then not be able to use it and not be able to put it back in my bank account!

Your thoughts? Experiences?

My tip: if you are going to use DIsney Gift Cards for payment on a trip, have a long timetable and a backup plan!
I experienced this at the parks in May. It wouldn’t work at Casey’s & there was nothing wrong with the card. It later worked no problem at another location.

I combined a few small amount cards into one the other day with no issues.

Is this for a package or just the tickets?

I've only ever been able to use one gift card on a single transaction before. Since I get packages, I just make multiple payments with the gift cards and rack up grocery store/credit card rewards in the process.

I used gift cards last December for most meals and souvenirs and didn't have a problem anywhere.

I’ve had this exact thing happen. It wasn’t that the gc system was down, it was just tickets or reservations gc accepting was down because their IT is crap. Try again in a week or two.

The GC website just went through like a week of issues but they are settled now and it is working fine. We hadn’t seen that before. It didn’t affect people’s ability to use cards.

I pay for all my trips with gc. Only time I had a problem was on check-out day at BWI when their whole payment system went down and I came back later in the day and was able to pay. My bad on that, pay your balance down the night before you leave to prevent Disney IT from getting you. If for some crazy reason their pay by gc system is down for multiple days at the hotel I have no doubt they will work with you to collect a temporary payment now and then a gift card payment at a later time.

I see a lot of posts about issues with combining cards and unrelated, valid CCs getting rejected as viable payment on the Disney site.

This is the first I recall of the Disney site doing it to GCs.
I don’t get their failure to maintain the part of their business that accepts the money. Like it’s kinda important lol. I had one trip where 2 different CCs were denied at Disney hotel check in, later found out it’s a known glitch and others have had it happen. Thankfully I’m a CC nerd so I have various cards on me at any time and switching to an Amex worked, but it was ridiculous! In both cases the CC companies were like yeah, you’re fine, we don’t even see an attempted charge 🤦🏻‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter