*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

@Bama Ed Ed have you looked at the duel hitches for the rear, I have seen many TTs with these and the bikes are in-between the truck and trailer. Not sure how close the A-Liner is to the back of your Yukon but it might be worth looking in to. Not sure about your tongue weight on the Yukon either but it's at least another option, although you have probably already looked into it. Mike

Mike, the issue with the dual hitch is the crank handle that I have for the trailer's front wheel which levels the popup front-to-back would get in the way. It's even fairly close to the rear hatch (when the hatch is either on its way up or down) of the Yukon if it is left pointing towards the truck.

In the same vein, putting the bikes back there would also prevent me from opening the rear hatch while mounted up like that (I think).

Your not taking eBikes to the fort are you?

I noticed many the last 2 weeks, did that rule get kiboshed or its just ignored like so many others?

Not a fan of eBikes, @mco65. Nope, just simple 1-speed cruisers with the back-pedal brake. Nice wide handlebars that I don't have to hunch over to hold onto. It's like the bike I first learned to ride on (so I am regressing, I guess). Between where we live (immediate area around the house) and where we camp the most (Fort and Gulf SP) it's all mostly flat terrain so 1-speed cruisers work for us.

Ed

Ed,

No experience with a front hitch on a GM, but my last truck had one when I bought it. The truck had been set up for a slide in camper and I think the front hitch was either for bikes or for launching a boat. I never used hitch, but I climbed under to see how it was mounted and how strong it was. On my F350, it was a direct bolt on to the frame rails. Pretty sure it used existing holes so no drilling. The only modifications looked like the hole that was cut in the rubber air dam for the receiver to poke out. It was a 2 inch and looked pretty beefy. I would say Class 4 weight.

If there are 2 options on size, I'd go with the 2 inch. It is easier to slip an adapter in if you can only find a 1 1/2 rack. The 2 in will give you more options depending on how many bikes or anything else (grill) you may want to bring along.

j

The only modifications looked like the hole that was cut in the rubber air dam for the receiver to poke out. It was a 2 inch and looked pretty beefy. I would say Class 4 weight.

If there are 2 options on size, I'd go with the 2 inch. It is easier to slip an adapter in if you can only find a 1 1/2 rack. The 2 in will give you more options depending on how many bikes or anything else (grill) you may want to bring along.

j

Yes the eTrailer hitch I linked earlier on does say that there is likely to be a need to cut a portion of the air dam to allow access to the receiver. So I am mentally prepared for that.

I don't have a bike rack selected yet but many are adaptable to the both size receivers so I will take your advice and get the 2" which will open up other possibilities.

Ed

Ed, i dont have one , or have experience with one. But its a good option. Lots added them to the TV on my pop up fourm and like them. They say they dont impead site day or night.
Other options, like you said, is the double rear hitch. Some of those will cut your towing capacity up to 50 percent. So, if you do go that route make sure the one you get is not that type. They have them that dont cut the towing capacity. If you allready have a mount on the rear of the aliner, and its on a suported ( reinforced bumper) then maybe a sway controlle arm may help? The friction type? But I never recomend having the bikes on the back of the TT. Other option, rack above the propane tanks maybe? You may have to build it. Not sure how the aliner sits, but they also have the type that is half on the camper roof, half on the toung. I like the feont bumper idea best. But if I had the hitch on the rear allready, and its just a small controll issue, a sway bar may help.

Not a fan of eBikes, @mco65. Nope, just simple 1-speed cruisers with the back-pedal brake. Nice wide handlebars that I don't have to hunch over to hold onto. It's like the bike I first learned to ride on (so I am regressing, I guess). Between where we live (immediate area around the house) and where we camp the most (Fort and Gulf SP) it's all mostly flat terrain so 1-speed cruisers work for us.

Ed

I am a big fan of the concept of an eBike but not a big fan of the sticker price. So, no eBike for me, at least not yet!
Still there were plenty to be seen at the Fort the past 2 weeks... not sure if i was angry for them skirting the rules or just jealous. Probably the latter.

So a follow-up to the summer posts I made about a front hitch for my Yukon XL.

I got one.

Then I got the 2-bike rack which has 9" of rise and gives enough clearance to the front of the truck.

One more view ....

Got a camping trip coming up soon and I'll get to try it out "fer real".

Bama Ed

Nice! Now you get to watch the bikes bounce and move around in real time. :)

j

Jim, that's where we'll find out how well the "no rattle" locking bolt will hold things in place at the base.

Oh and additional cords/bungees to dampen the swings on the edges.

Ed

Ps - and I'm already finding all those steep driveways, streets, and gutters around town to BOTTOM OUT on with the front receiver. Although if you can do the math, you find it works okay to approach those at an angle rather than straight on.

Last edited:
Jim, that's where we'll find out how well the "no rattle" locking bolt will hold things in place at the base.

Oh and additional cords/bungees to dampen the swings on the edges.

Ed

Ps - and I'm already finding all those steep driveways, streets, and gutters around town to BOTTOM OUT on with the front receiver. Although if you can do the math, you find it works okay to approach those at an angle rather than straight on.
Just get bigger tires, rims and a lift kit.......
Kidding, thats a bummer Ed.

My driveway is one of those with a sharp aproach. The RS and Ian's Miata only have about 3-4 inches of clearance on the front splitter and will drag if you don'r hit it at an angle. We are getting the street paved as they had to dig it up to put in new water mains. I'm hoping the new road isn't crowned as much as the current one. The motorhome even drags the latch for the nose cap/generator drawer.

j

@bama_ed, check etrailer, I think.
I've seen a piece you can buy that fits exterior of the hitch/locking pin that is a psuedo, sorta, skid plate to protect the hitch.
If not let me know, Ill build ya one

I've seen a piece you can buy that fits exterior of the hitch/locking pin that is a psuedo, sorta, skid plate to protect the hitch.

Joe, considering how much money I spent with eTrailer for the hitch receiver and bike rack, they should build me one for free! :rotfl2:

But thanks for the offer. ED

PS - actually, I see it on eTrailer and it's a good idea.

Joe, I ended up getting the skid-plate.

giphy.gif

But I feel better now.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter