*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I'm pretty familiar with the SportTrek. Quality of construction is inline with Sandpiper, Outback, Cougar, Spree Connect. It has laminated sidewalls and cheaper-built front and back walls and slide end walls. Venture RV is owned by KZ - which should provide better warranty service than Keystone. And I'm guessing any dealer should be better to deal with than Camping World. The Bullet is a different animal - built to be much lighter so the floor would be thinner - and most likely laminated. Not really a concern, as most TTs are going to laminated floors now. Comparable products to the Bullet would be the Rockwood Ultra Lite, Open Range Ultra Lite, Grand Design Imagine, Jayco White Hawk.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look for nearby Rockwood, Grand Design, Jayco or Open Range dealers to directly compare to the Bullet before pulling the trigger. Having said all that, I'd own either of these trailers if the price was right.

Venture and KZ are owned by Thor. So is Keystone and Jayco. Rockwood is Forst river. Grand Design was just bought out by Winnibego earlier this year I believe. However, I am with you about the Rockwood or Grand Designs. That's what the DW and I are looking at for our next trailer. When we were at the Hershey last week, she got to experience the Grand Designs first hand. She too thought the trailer was well built. Remember the trailer manufacturer(s) are going to Light weight so the "More capable" 1/2 ton market. Personally I would make sure you have plenty of tow vehicle. My rule of thumb is anything over 25 feet and 6000 pounds, 3/4 ton minium. However you may not have a problem. My current trailer was pulled by a 1/2 ton F150 and a 3/4 ton F25. Both gas engines. The difference in the tow was night and day. The F150 could do it and did it. However, there was that comfort level in my mind. The 250 was piece of mind plus knowing I coud upgrade to the next trailer safety was even better.

My advice is to look over any unit as many times as needed. Sometimes going back for a second look might be the best option. Make sure you are going to be comfortable towing whatever you getting. Many of the larger trailers are getting in the upper 30s for length and upper 9s for weight.

The suburban is a 2500. Were good for weight and i dont want anything over 27 or 28 if possible. Im searching grand design and rockwoods floorplans.

Well I lost my trailer parking for now. The place I was keeping my trailer called and said I have until october 31st or last payment date to remove my trailer. I don't know the full details but it sounds like place was sold very quickly. It sucks neverless. My wife started calling places around the area. It turns out most of the storage places do not accept trailers for storage. Those who do, wanted newer trailers and under 24 feet in length. Local campgrounds do not offer trailer storage either. Unfortunately my property is too small to store the trailer due to size. If it was in this 24 foot range, I would just do it and live with it. Then again if I could store my trailer on property, I would not be in this mess. As of right now, my trailer is "homeless" I can park it at work for awhile. A friend of mine has offer to keep it at his place until I can find a better location for storage since he lives just outside of the area where I would want to keep it. 10 minutes from my house instead of 35 minutes on a no traffic/ light traffic day. I did tell the wife maybe this is a sign to start looking for another house. I got the " don't start jumping to extremes" answer.

Well I lost my trailer parking for now.
That stinks. I was in a similar boat when I was keeping my old TT in the driveway. It was ok until I replaced it with a 5er. Apparently the neighbors were ok with a lower TT, but the taller 5er was too much. I'm fortunate that there are several storage places with 10 minutes that have campers.

And I know people that have switched houses for less. :D

j

I complain about the upkeep on my 100 acres (spraying, bush hogging, tree trimming) but I got plenty of room to store my stuff. Funny how it works. You want more land to have space but then when you get it you spend a lot of time and money on upkeep.

Well I lost my trailer parking for now.

I worry about this in my own circumstance. We have very few trailer storage options in our area and no capacity to keep it at home. If our lot ever ceases to be an option for any reason, we very well may find ourselves in the 'store it 45 minutes away or get rid of it' category!

Looking at maybe getting a new truck. For you Ford guys, a 2017 F-350 DRW XLT with a $63,685 MSRP.. Whats a good price? Local dealer has it at $55,934 with $5,501 dealer discount, $1500 retail customer cash, and $750 Super duty customer cash.

Also looking at a Ram Megacab with better options (Laramie) for only a couple of thousand more.

pFor you Ford guys, a 2017 F-350 DRW XLT with a $63,685 MSRP.. Whats a good price?
I would think you could push it to at least $10k under MSRP. I bought my last 2 trucks with a Ford racer discount. My current 2011 F350 Lariat, 4x4, crewcab diesel stickered for about $58,500. I got it for $46 something. The Ford sanctioned racer discount was pretty good, but I'm sure they weren't losing money on them.

j

Thanks for the feedback. Stickers are insane now. Lariats, Laramies, Denali, LTZs all seem to be $70k plus.
I about choked when I priced out a new one like I have now. It was over $68k sticker. Since I'm not towing around the country anymore, my next truck will be a used one. I'll let someone else enjoy the first $20,000 of it.

j

I about choked when I priced out a new one like I have now. It was over $68k sticker. Since I'm not towing around the country anymore, my next truck will be a used one. I'll let someone else enjoy the first $20,000 of it.

j

Randy and I were talking about this not long ago and he sent me this picture. I just about choked. Who in the world buys this?
part0.jpg

Oh, it gets worse..

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-23%20at%208.44.54%20AM-L.png

Know what ya'll mean ... sticker shock is real!

When I went 3/4 ton truck shopping last November, I "briefly" looked at new units and the prices were horrendous, especially considering it had been 11 years since my last new truck purchase. So, I turned my brain into used market search and found a very well equipped, low mileage, clean 2015. That year and a half depreciation knocked 20K off.

Dang boys, you guys realize we could buy used semi trucks to pull our 5th wheels for less money? I mean, big and bulky, but with a sleeper for kids and all it sure is tempting.

Dang boys, you guys realize we could buy used semi trucks to pull our 5th wheels for less money? I mean, big and bulky, but with a sleeper for kids and all it sure is tempting.

I would if I could fit in driveway without HOA throwing a fit.

Might be my next one.....

A bunch of people were doing this on RV.net a few years ago. Apparently you can pick up a Class 7 Volvo with 250,000 miles on it (still good for another 150,000, at least) for $40k or so. They were selling off the tag axle on the rear and turning the sleeper into a crew cab. It would tow well over 20,000 lbs with tons of torque and get better fuel mileage than our non-commercial trucks. They also have an amazing turning cut compared to my F350 (i.e. can turn around an aircraft carrier in less space than my truck.)
I may look into this for my next truck since I don't use mine for much else than towing.

j

received_1455510091151232.jpeg

Way ahead of ya Tiggerdad, I've been looking for a new "used" truck for a few months now, test drove a few now, will probably have one by GSP 18'. I can already see Teamubr, Tiggerdad, and Bama Ed and myself cruising down the beach

View attachment 278952

Way ahead of ya Tiggerdad, I've been looking for a new "used" truck for a few months now, test drove a few now, will probably have one by GSP 18'. I can already see Teamubr, Tiggerdad, and Bama Ed and myself cruising down the beach

I call SHOTGUN seat! :P (tiggerdad and teamubr, you kids gotta sit in back and stay buckled up).

East bound and down...

Bama Ed

PS - me too, Randy. Howdy, long time no hear. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts