True Blue Disney Fan switching to Universal - Need advice on hotel

FLgirl1203

Mouseketeer
We are FL residents and usually buzz up to WDW 2 - 3 times a year for a 2-3 night visit. I'm upset at Disney reservations right now (long story...not going into that) so we've decided to try Universal for our quick weekend in October. I have 2 active boys (5 & 8) and am unsure which resort to select. We will probably only go to one park on this visit and just hang out at the resort the other day. Nice pool and a slide would be great for the kids (all 3 of them including hubby).

Any suggestions would be welcome. I mentioned to a friend we were thinking about Hard Rock and she said they got the feeling it was a high school pick up joint for older kids and they weren't comfortable with the atmosphere.

Thanks for the help!
Beth

Your friend is not correct in her opinion of the Hard Rock. HRH is very family orientated! We just stayed there a few months ago, and it was full of families with kids of all ages. HRH has a fantastic pool and a fun slide. I recommend renting a cabana at the pool if you plan on spending much time there. (do a cabana search on this board and you'll find info on it).

We haven't stayed at Royal Pacific or Portofino yet, but I hear they are both wonderful! I think you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Room discounts can be found by using an entertainment club card, AAA card, Fan Club card, loewsfirst card (www.loewsfirst.com), and at www.hotelkingdom.com

Have a great trip :)

Teresa

We have stayed at the HRH two times and I can't imagine what your friend is talking about. We have always had great experiences at this hotel. It is a 5 min. walk from Universal Studios which is a big plus. The pool is great. The whole place is really family oriented and beautiful.

Go and have a great time!

Nan

We stayed at the RPR in August with 3 kids ages 10, 9, and 7. We used the pool at the HRH one day during our stay. All 3 kids said they loved the HRH slide but liked the RPR pool much better. The interactive play area at the RPR pool and the fact that the pool is a bit deeper in some areas won them over. We found both hotels to be very family oriented.

Can't miss with any of the resorts. They are all family friendly. HRH is gorgeous and very upscale!

HRH is great for a one or two day stay. Go there first and then if you have time try the RPH... the HRH has a lot going for it, but the other two hotels have the Loew's service.

In saying that - become a member of Loew's before going... the perks are nice.

Bob

I'm pretty sure that Royal Pacific doesn't have a slide - so that may help your decision!

We were unhappy with Disney canceling E-nights and early entry last year so we tried the Universal hotels just like you are going to. I'm hooked now, using the Entertainment card rate at HRH, we had a rate of 125.00, just 16.00 more then the AllStars during peak season. The walk to the park is about 4 minutes, the hotel is equal to a Disney Deluxe, and the Front of the Line access is the icing on the cake. Your kids will love the pool, slide, underwater music and on Fridays, Dive-in movies. Have a great vacation.

Don't forget that you can always "pool hop." Meaning you can go to the swimming pool at one of the other resorts even if you aren't staying at that particular one. I stayed at RPH and went to the HRH pool.

If I say so myself, I say either HRH or RPH. RPH is very pretty, yet the pool is nice, it's the least expensive of the three, VERY family-friendly, etc. HRH is "cool" and yes, has the water slide. I've seen many kids there too.

I say chose which hotel based on which park you go to if money isn't the issue. RPH is closer to IOA and HRH is closer to US.

I posted this about a week ago and then got so busy with other things I had forgotten to check back to see if anyone had responded. Thanks to all who responded to my question....we've decided to go the HRH and give it a whirl!

One question...someone mentioned the Entertainment Rate...what's that? From those Entertainment books? Rate looks great compared to what I got.

Thanks again...pixie dust to all of you!

Beth

We stayed at RPR last year and loved it. It's right on par with a deluxe hotel at Disney--and not nearly as expensive. We are trying HRH in Oct--mainly for my 2 oldest 16 and 13, they really wanted to stay there. We always have to stay at Universal for part of our vacation every time we go. We love it there!

Yes, in answer to your question about the Entertainment Rate. The HRH offers discounts to those who buy an Entertainment book. The rates are not always available, and you don't need to own the book, about 30.00, until you get the rate. Call back reservations and ask if the entertainment rate is available for your dates, if it is ask to modify, or replace your current ressie with the new lower price, about 125.00 per night, I don't think club floor qualifys for the disc. Have you joined the Loews First club yet? It's free and gives you some extra perks: daily newspaper at your door, access to the fitness club, and a welcome gift of either wine, fruit basket or cookies and milk brought to your room, ( my kids favorite)

Being from Naples you would probably feel right at home at Portofino. It looks alot like Naples Bay crossing the Gordon River. I think your kids will like Hard Rock. For best rates try the Loews web site with FLO for Florida resident, Hotelkingdom and Entertainment Book.

We have stayed at all three hotels and have three children. I would highly recommend the HRH for kids. The pool is wonderful and VERY kid friendly. Lots of activities, etc. The HRH and Royal Pacific are very family oriented. I think that the Portofino is great but very quiet. The HRH has great kid's suites and the dive-in movie is a lot of fun too. Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter