Trump visit on December 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura's Dad

DIS Veteran
How will a presidential visit on December 7th affect traffic and security? We are staying at Old Key West with a party of 8. 3 are going to Universal and 5 are going to the Animal Kingdom wit Early Entry. The speech was originally going to be at Coronado Springs, but has been moved. Will it affect traffic to either park? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Had to look this up as I hadn't heard anything about it but it appears it will be at the Grand Floridian and its a fundraiser event. Really not much being said about this though.

Had to look this up as I hadn't heard anything about it but it appears it will be at the Grand Floridian and its a fundraiser event. Really not much being said about this though.

IMO the monorail poses the largest security risk which I would assume it would be easier logistically to just shut down the monorail for most of that day.

It sort of depends on how big the "security" bubble is...just speaking from past experiences (RNC 2004 in NYC and other presidential visits) the most DISRUPTIVE time frame is when the motorcade is in transit. Once they arrive at the destination, it's a set radius where you need to have a reason to be there sort of thing.

@Laura's Dad I would pay close attention in the couple days in advance if possible. You'll have a better idea of road closures/etc at that point in time.

If it's just in the GF Conference center the impact (especially with the new backend road) should be negligible to the park itself and even the resort (the monorail is far enough away I don't think that would be impacted). That said the GF itself will probably still be a zoo with the lookeloos and scattered security.
Of course my flight out of Vegas, already boarded and about to push back, got held for almost half an hour as Air Force One came in (but that's a federal regulation) So who's to say - but I'm sure the Secret Service will get the President into the convention center only and not try to expose him to the park/resort in general.
Unless he wants to visit the Gingerbread house... :)

@Skywise I concur. I don't see the monorail shutting down entirely. All that would do is push more people onto the busses, which load slower.

The disboards has a no sarcasm rule.

Thank you for the clarification. Being relatively new to the boards, I didn't realize this was a rule, but it certainly seems reasonable. Initially I thought you were referencing an earlier post, so I'm glad the rule correctly distinguishes between sarcasm and irony and/or exaggeration.

It sort of depends on how big the "security" bubble is...just speaking from past experiences (RNC 2004 in NYC and other presidential visits) the most DISRUPTIVE time frame is when the motorcade is in transit. Once they arrive at the destination, it's a set radius where you need to have a reason to be there sort of thing.

@Laura's Dad I would pay close attention in the couple days in advance if possible. You'll have a better idea of road closures/etc at that point in time.

That was my experience several months ago when the VP was here. Traffic during the event was fine. It was before and after when the motorcade was moving that we had issues. It was sort of fun to play "spot the security detail," because literally nothing interesting has happened here since TMI had a partial melt down 40 years ago. They stood out like sore thumbs.

Last edited:
We will be driving from Universal to a wedding event in Disney springs that afternoon. Should we expect to see closures/delays or are the issues typically all closer to where the actual event is held?

I hadn’t heard about this. Thanks for posting.
Hopefully this doesn’t affect our flight home that day. This might be the 1 and only time the magical express bringing us to the airport 3 hours early might come in handy.

@Skywise I concur. I don't see the monorail shutting down entirely. All that would do is push more people onto the busses, which load slower.
Security decisions are made by the secret service, not Disney. When Trump is moving both the Monorail and bus stop might wind up being closed for a period of time. Airports and major roads are closed when major public figures are moving. Closing a bus stop is a non issue, if the secret service sees the need. Guest might end up walking to the POLY, at best. Might be " frozen" for a period of time.

Do we know what time the event is scheduled.

Last edited:
Uuuughhh, on 12/7 had planned to do MK morning/mid-day and DHS evening. Anyone know what time the fundraiser is? I imagine this will impact travel in and out of MK area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter