Shooting at LAX....NO FLIGHTS T2 & T3

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
My coworker's son works as a security officer at LAX and she told me that he called and told her that there had been a shooting at Terminal 3. :(

http://gma.yahoo.com/tsa-agent-kill...tody-181655831--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

A TSA officer has been killed and two others injured in a shooting today at Los Angeles International Airport, according to law enforcement.

A suspect is in custody, police tell ABC News. Police were trying to determine whether there could be a second gunman.

The shooting took place inTerminal 3, TSA confirmed to ABC. The shooting sent hundreds of passengers streaming out of the terminal with many fleeing onto the airport runway. One of the shooting victims was a TSA officer who died of his wounds. Two other people were injured. The gunman, police said, was "neutralized."

The LAPD said it was on "tactical alert due to a major incident" at the airport and the fire department said they were assisting at a multi-patient incident. No planes are flying in or out of the airport.

An eyewitness, Leon Saryan, told ABC News Radio that a "fairly young" gunman with a rifle came down a corridor in Terminal 3 and shot perhaps 20 times. A TSA officer holding Saryan's shoes was shot and wounded, he told ABC. Saryan said the gunman asked him, "Are you TSA?" "He saw me. He looked at me with a quizzical look and said, 'TSA?' And I just shook my head. So he moved on," Saryan said.

Terry Malloy, who was in the airport at the time of the shooting, told ABC News she heard at least three shots fired. "I was sitting there, and I heard the alarm go off like when the door opens. I saw all these people charging down this ramp going in a million different directions. Everyone started looking at each other (like) what are we going to do, and I saw the ticket agent go behind the counter, and then I heard shots," Malloy said.

"I ran out to one of the piers," she said. "Someone opened one of the doors, and then we literally ran right onto the runway. We saw airport police charging down the runway with their doors open," he said.

Heads up for everyone traveling through LAX today. Terminal 2 and 3 are closed. I don't have all the info but wanted to give everyone a heads up who may be travelling today.

Update:

Almost every flight out of Los Angeles International Airport on Friday will be "significantly late," according to Gina Marie Lindsay, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports. The airport is still accepting incoming flights, but doing so at less than half the normal rate, she said. A gunman with an assault rifle opened fire at the airport earlier Friday.

Check with your airline before heading out today. safe travels everyone. So sad.....

I work in a building with a view that overlooks the runways on the west side of LAX. This morning around 9:30am I heard numerous sirens and looked out my window to watch it all unfold. So sad for everyone effected by this incident especially the family of the TSA agent killed.

Love, just love to everyone in this forum, everyone transiting through LAX today, and everyone who will be soon--coming or going to DLR or anywhere else.

My mom flew in this morning to visit. DH and DS went to pick her up. Thank goodness they were all still in transit when everything went down! The whole area was blocked, so DH had to park as close as possible and my mom had to walk a few miles to get to him! They weren't exactly helpful as to how people were supposed to leave, I guess. Actually suggesting people walk out of the area to find cabs, family, etc.

I know if anyone is planning on flying out of Phoenix sky Harbor the flights to lax are pretty delayed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter