TSA PreCheck

I see from your profile that you live in New Jersey. Does your eldest have a passport? Isn't NJ one of those states in which you have to be 14 to obtain the required state ID?
My 13 yr old has a passport. I am not sure what the state requirement is for photo ID.

My 13 yr old has a passport. I am not sure what the state requirement is for photo ID.

Most states are 13 or younger. A few states are 14, and NJ is one of them. I’ve heard complaints from NJ and Massachusetts (another 14 state) about not being able to get pre-check for their 13-year old without a passport.

When we flew primarily with United from EWR we always got TSA-Pre without paying. Now that we fly SW or JB we purchased TSA-PRE
for both of us last spring. I have a United Exployer Card so I was refunded my fee. I just paid for DH. What drove me to getting
it was that the processing center was in Edison, NJ and it only took a few days to get the numbers. We didn't have to go back to EWR..

processing locations for TSA PRE have greatly expanded in the past couple of years. In my town you can apply at the County tax collector office - same place I do car tag renewals

GE still requires a trip to an ICE office so far as I know ....

DW and I did our TSA PreCheck interview this morning. Totally painless. The closest site was only 25 minutes of back road driving away at an office building next to the local airport. We made the appointment for the first available two consecutive slots when we applied. We only had to wait six days. We arrived 10 minutes early and they took us in right on time. The only issue was that the finger print machine had some trouble reading my prints. It took three tries to get my right fingers. Now we wait....

When y’all are about ready for a trip I also suggest signing up for a free trail with Clear. They have been giving 3 months free. When I went to cancel after 3 months I got an offer for a greatly reduced rate

Oh and annoyingly there is one time PreCheck does no good, picking up a minor. You get a special pass from the airline but it won’t register your PreCheck

Renewed my precheck yesterday afternoon online. No need to go in person. Got approval already this morning. Kept the same number.

Finishing the story... Three days and 1 hour after DW and I walked out of the TSA-Pre interview we got the email saying we had received our KTN. We have added our new KTNs our airline profiles and the reservations we had already booked. Thanks to all here on DIS for the help!

FYI, if you check your account online, you’ll likely find your approval and KTN before an email. At least, that’s what happened with us. We were approved the following day After our interview.

FYI, if you check your account online, you’ll likely find your approval and KTN before an email. At least, that’s what happened with us. We were approved the following day After our interview.
Same here

Oh and annoyingly there is one time PreCheck does no good, picking up a minor. You get a special pass from the airline but it won’t register your PreCheck

I can verify that! My KTN wasn't linked to the pass I was given to take my son through to the gate.
As a sidenote, he was so annoyed that the employee at the checkin counter gave me that. He wanted to be totally independent and she ruined it for him LOL.

Renewed my precheck yesterday afternoon online. No need to go in person. Got approval already this morning. Kept the same number.
Nice to know the renewal is even easier than the original application, which wsan't bad. I think we come due in another year.

Just wanted to share my experience with Global Entry. I applied online on Saturday. Recieved my conditional approval Wednesday, interviewed today (friday) and recieved my email less than 5 minutes after the interview. Very easy process.

Just wanted to share my experience with Global Entry. I applied online on Saturday. Recieved my conditional approval Wednesday, interviewed today (friday) and recieved my email less than 5 minutes after the interview. Very easy process.
Wow that's fast. They must have caught up with the backlog from the shut down. When I applied back in June/July, it took like 3 months to get conditional approval.

Wow that's fast. They must have caught up with the backlog from the shut down. When I applied back in June/July, it took like 3 months to get conditional approval.
I was surprised how quick it was. But I wonder if the application process is regional? There were so many interview slots available.

I have Global Entry, so I don't know what the standalone Precheck interview is like, but mine was dead simple. Can you prove you're a US citizen (bring a passport if you have one), are you a citizen of anywhere else, have you ever been in trouble with the law? In return, it's saved me vast amounts of time (I'm a college student and fly several times a year to and from school) and stress. I ended up interviewing at an airport nowhere near where I lived, and they did ask about that; they were satisfied with "I can't get an appointment back home for six months, and I was passing through here anyway". I was approved pretty much as soon as I walked out of my interview, and my card arrived two to three weeks after my interview.

You should have no problem getting approval by November. We did the global entry plan and had our interviews on September 25. My wife was approved the next day and mine was approved a few days later. Have already updated our profiles on United as well as on the reservations. At least on United, updating your profile does not automatically update any already made reservations.

We did this because we fly a lot from Newark to Orlando and economy security in both airports is bad but also planning some international travel now that we are both retired. Also took advantage of the credit you get from the Chase/United credit card.

Global Entry is a completely different process from TSA-Pre. I got my Pre in April, about a week after my appointment.

Thank you for pointing out global entry is entirely different. The interview is offered at FAR fewer airports than pre-check. Appointments are usually backed up 2 months or more. I had them cancel my appointment for me a week before after a 2 month wait & I had to reschedule another 2 months out. I didn't want any readers of this thread thinking global entry would happen for them in a few days to weeks as the PP is reporting.

Thank you for pointing out global entry is entirely different. The interview is offered at FAR fewer airports than pre-check. Appointments are usually backed up 2 months or more. I had them cancel my appointment for me a week before after a 2 month wait & I had to reschedule another 2 months out. I didn't want any readers of this thread thinking global entry would happen for them in a few days to weeks as the PP is reporting.
Let’s be clear. I was talking about approval after having the interview not the whole process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter