TSA-small garden shovel?

jeeperwy

Mouseketeer
I know this is a REALLY weird question and I looked on the TSA website but it wasn't exactly clear. I need to take a small hand-held shovel with me on a flight. I really didn't want to check a bag but will if this won't go through security. What do you experts think?
Thanks!
Kari

I looked up "tool" in the tsa app and it says "Power tools and all tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked bags".

That's as close as I can get as shovel and garden don't come up in the app.

Can you ship it? Even if it fits within the 7 inches, I wouldn't count on a TSA officer making the distinction, especially if the shovel comes to a point.

"For items not listed here, simply snap a picture or send a question to AskTSA on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. We look forward to answering your questions, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends/holidays."

I have read on other travel forums of item's being okay'd per TSA via Facebook or Twitter and then still turned down at the airport. If this item means a lot to you, then don't pack it in a carryon bag. Check one tiny bag if possible. At the end of the day, if you can't bear to lose an item that falls into the gray area, you're safer checking it.

This one is in the gray area and depending on your agent can easily be an issue. I would not count on getting past them. You MIGHT get lucky and then again.... (Assuming it's metal I think you chances are you won't get lucky) It's also liable to hold you up at security so if you do decide to try allow time.

I know this is a REALLY weird question and I looked on the TSA website but it wasn't exactly clear. I need to take a small hand-held shovel with me on a flight. I really didn't want to check a bag but will if this won't go through security. What do you experts think?
Thanks!
Kari

The question is why do you need to bring this special shovel ?

If you are a Villa owner or a Time share person then leave it at home and pay a visit to Lowes or Home Depot

and buy a new one.

Now if is a Special Present Or Gift Then the best way, as has been said , is to have it checked into hold.

Maybe send it by parcel post to arrive just after you do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter