Two mobility devices?

BethCPTSD

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We travel Southwest Airlines to Orlando in a few weeks. Do you know if I can bring both my electric wheelchair and my rollator? I'm trying to figure out what to do when it's raining...I hear June is a very rainy month.

Thank you,
Beth

most of the time it only rains for a few hours in the afternoon. My friend that uses a power chair brings a bag to cover the joy stick thing that powers it. ( If you do not have a bag any store will give you one if you ask) and then put a poncho on to cover him self and some of his chair.

I hope this help you

By the way...i guess I'm still wondering, in case i Do decide to also bring my rollator for shorter distances (like the hotel), does SW let you bring 2, as long as you check one or something? Thanks...

You said we are traveling to Orlando; so, you can do the power wheelchair and the other person can do the rollator; so, you don't have any problems.

durable medical equipment does not count against your baggage allotment, but you are only allowed one piece per ticketed passenger.

I use my power wheelchair in the rain if it is not teaming. I cover my joystick with a shower cap. I use a park poncho to go over me and the chair. Never had issues. There is lots you can do inside when it is raining. Might be a ton of walking. If you are nervous maybe bring you rollator to the park and ask if you can keep it in the stroller/ evc rental place. This would only work if you have someone going with you. I know it says not to go out in the rain. Well if that was the case then most people who use power wheelchairs in rainy cities would be housebound. Just avoid big puddles. If you do go through a big puddle dry off your chair when you can.

Oh, thank you, Belle! That's very helpful! Yes, I'm sure you're right that power chair users would often be housebound if they could never use their chairs in the rain. I've only recently gotten my chair and so I'm just now learning about it. Thank you for helping to inform that process for me.

Beth

Yes I use my power wheelchair in all weather including snow. Though it is not so great on ice and have found myself stuck in a few snow bank lol. You might also want to bring a plastic bag to put your wet poncho in for when it stops raining. I too was nervous when I first got my chair but after 8 years I have had no issues. Do pack your battery charger in a knap sack so you can plug it in at the park.

I buy cheap ponchos at the Dollar Store - usually a pack of two for a dollar. That way I just throw them away when I am done with them.

Depending on your controller, you may want a plastic bag to cheap shower cap to cover it in the rain.

Back to my original question -- I'm starting to conclude I should just take my power chair. I was being overly optimistic. :)

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

Yes I use my power wheelchair in all weather including snow. Though it is not so great on ice and have found myself stuck in a few snow bank lol. You might also want to bring a plastic bag to put your wet poncho in for when it stops raining. I too was nervous when I first got my chair but after 8 years I have had no issues. Do pack your battery charger in a knap sack so you can plug it in at the park.

Apologies for not knowing how to start a private Conversation, but I've seen your other posts and am wondering if you could message me so I could talk to you about Disney and power wheelchairs, Belle1997. Would you mind?

Apologies for not knowing how to start a private Conversation, but I've seen your other posts and am wondering if you could message me so I could talk to you about Disney and power wheelchairs, Belle1997. Would you mind?

You need to have 10 messages in order to send or receive private messages. There is a "test" board under the technical support board where you can post repeatedly to get to the 10 messages. Here's a link to that:
https://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

To begin a new thread, there is a "post new thread" button towards the top of the page on the right, just below where your username is.

You might want to just post a new thread with your questions as there are a number of posters here that can help with information on power wheelchairs. There are a ton of helpful people on this board.

Yes, Beth I agree with gap2368. You can also bring your rollator with you for a safe side. This year I gifted my grandpa a power chair which i had from the official site of Spin life, and I have got a bag with it so that it can be covered and can also be protected against rain. So I would like to suggest you to purchase this power chair as this will help you and prevent your stuff against rain.

You need to have 10 messages in order to send or receive private messages. There is a "test" board under the technical support board where you can post repeatedly to get to the 10 messages. Here's a link to that:
https://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

To begin a new thread, there is a "post new thread" button towards the top of the page on the right, just below where your username is.

You might want to just post a new thread with your questions as there are a number of posters here that can help with information on power wheelchairs. There are a ton of helpful people on this board.

Hey, thank you for the information--very helpful and much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter