Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT it'd be nice to have more discussion based on places that could be recommended more when it's just adults including when you want separate sleeping areas. That said I get it that the DIS is Disney on-site oriented so that may not be their area of focus.
I think Dreams does sell a couple of the suite hotels in the area. I know they sell Sheraton Vistana. And Kevin and John own some rental homes that they've talked about from time to time. But yes, it isn't really the main focus of their business. There are tons of fantastic rental properties offsite. The Orlando Hotels and Attractions forum is a great source of info and answers to your questions on that topic.

If I wanted to stay offsite, there are a plurality of options for a large group.

I'm still here wanting for that Disney Bubble. Let's see if I can scratch enough cash up for a 350 point contract for AKL to get a two bedroom villa. Because that's what it'll take.

Just wanted to shout out to OP. I totally agree with you and tend to always agree with your posts and I admire how you can post threads like these when you have so many people responding such privileged responses and the problematic "I don't see color" BS.

Representation is so important but I just don't see the Dis hiring someone of color any time soon. I love the show and the people on it but it would be nice to see some more diversity. I'm very happy that you said Pete responded. At least it's on their radar :)

I know the song didn't know the artist..but is that really a big issue pertaining to this thread??

I listened to a decent amount of hip hop from the 90s and 2000s still didn't know the artist just the song you are talking about.

I know the song didn't know the artist..but is that really a big issue pertaining to this thread??

I listened to a decent amount of hip hop from the 90s and 2000s still didn't know the artist just the song you are talking about.
BBD was new jack swing, not really hip hop.
Big issue no but proves the point, absolutely. Many black people would have given a massive side-eye to that miseducation.
Hip hop is the larger umbrella that New Jack swing falls under. full title being Hip hop and R&B.

Big issue no but proves the point, absolutely. Many black people would have given a massive side-eye to that miseducation.
Hip hop is the larger umbrella that New Jack swing falls under. full title being Hip hop and R&B.
No, nobody considers BBD hip hop influencers. Poison was a Dr. Freeze song, the guy who also wrote I Wanna Sex You Up. That stuff might have hip hop influences in it, but it ain’t hip hop. And I loved BBD when I was kid.

Thanks for the history lesson that was not needed. What a strange thing to complain about nor do I see a point being made other than it makes you look a certain way.

I get your original point of the thread and can respect your thoughts on that, I fail to see how a knowledge of a song or artist plays into that.

LORD! Did anyone else have a deep sigh and head shake when Craig had no idea of who Bell Biv Devoe was? Or the song "Poison"? Like really! it's classic 90's hip hop.
70's - 90's R&B and soul is my JAM! I didn't see the episode your'e talking about, but I DEFINITELY know who BBD is! :) I watched the Story of Teddy Penergrass last weekend on cable, and then came on a special about various "back in the day groups (Chi-Lites, Sylistics, Temps, Whispers, etc. etc.) and I was - quite literally - in HEAVEN!!! :)

The original post was the so different, but it's now morphed into this new, lack of music-qualification-knowledge-thing with the Dis staff, then the 'Many black people would have given a massive side-eye to that' comment , and now others listing what they have listened (over the decades!) to to go on record that they're not 'that'. Sad how this has gone, and to me has taken the air out of the original POC issue.

The original post was the so different, but it's now morphed into this new, lack of music-qualification-knowledge-thing with the Dis staff, then the 'Many black people would have given a massive side-eye to that' comment , and now others listing what they have listened (over the decades!) to to go on record that they're not 'that'. Sad how this has gone, and to me has taken the air out of the original POC issue.
@Dizzytime I sincerely apologize if I have offended you (or anyone else here who feels the same), or unintentionally hijacked the thread. I honestly got truly excited to be talking about my love of this genre of music - I don't get to that much with the people I run into IRL. I will not comment again. And yes - this post is sincere in its intention.

SH
no apologies needed. For a brief moment I was tempted to list all of the music and all of the performances I've seen from people of all races...music true to my heart that l love other than the ones mentioned ..but t then realized it was too long....and why? Was just disappointed that the original post(er) turned this way about the great Disunpluged staff..and now POC has turned into a 'if you don't know this
music' ' Black' thing.
Oh well
Carry on.
Hope you are all having a magical day!

Here I'll connect the dots.
This is just another instance that when people at the table aren't all the same, other knowledge is able to come out. Now while BBD may just be a 90's group, the group came from a legendary boy band, New Edition, based out of Boston around the same time as New Kids on the Block ( I'm sure everyone knows who they are). It's not about the lack of knowledge, it's about how if others were at that table, there would be expansive knowledge and this is why diversity matters. Instead of making excuses as to why one person may not know, you likely have someone who does. Make sense? and I'm sorry anyone who says they are a 90's hip hop head and don't know BBD?!?! CARD REVOKED LOL

To your point, it's all connected. Think about what is given mainstream attention? Why am I "expected" to know, Mozart or Metallica or Tool or Johnny Cash but MY music legends are not in "your" knowledge base. sad is how the point of diversity is being missed here. The conversation hasn't morphed my friend, a few pages back we were discussing Go Punch and Hit Me, making the point about missed topics that add to the table discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter