Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To your point, it's all connected. Think about what is given mainstream attention? Why am I "expected" to know, Mozart or Metallica or Tool or Johnny Cash but MY music legends are not in "your" knowledge base. sad is how the point of diversity is being missed here. The conversation hasn't morphed my friend, a few pages back we were discussing Go Punch and Hit Me, making the point about missed topics that add to the table discussion.

Ehh... I’ve been with you all the way OP but I’m gonna push back on this a tad. The lack of knowledge on ONE artist does not equal being inadequately diverse. I could talk for days about my love for hiphop, especially from the 90s, but BBD ain’t on my radar.

And if Craig did know who they were, would that be any better? IE there would still be a diversity issue.

I totally agree that more diversity is only a good thing - but we can’t nitpick every little conversation to find deficits.

Just me opinion!

Last edited:
That moment when you really start to wonder if someone is really the person who they have been presenting themselves as.

Last edited:
Ehh... I’ve been with you all the way OP but I’m gonna push back on this a tad. The lack of knowledge on ONE artist does not equal being inadequately diverse. I could talk for days about my love for hiphop, especially from the 90s, but BBD ain’t on my radar.

And if Craig did know who they were, would that be any better? IE there would still be a diversity issue.

I totally agree that more diversity is only a good thing - but we can’t nitpick every little conversation to find deficits.

Just me opinion!
That’s kinda my point, more people of diverse backgrounds would make a difference. I’m not saying that Craig needs to know one band. He spent time trying to justify why he didn’t, if you had others , he wouldn’t have to in such a way. While it may seem small it’s not really about the size. It’s just another example of the bubble. Optics matter.

And how are you a 90s fan and BBD isn’t on your radar? LOL Posion was a bop! Do me! Those were played at every dance of my youth.

Last edited:

That’s kinda my point, more people of diverse backgrounds would make a difference. I’m not saying that Craig needs to know one band. He spent time trying to justify why he didn’t, if you had others , he wouldn’t have to in such a way. While it may seem small it’s not really about the size. It’s just another example of the bubble. Optics matter.

Honestly, it seems like more of a generational thing than a cultural thing. I'm as white as it gets, but I'm well aware of BBD & "Poison" (it still has one of my favorite lines in any song). But it was popular ages ago when I was in high school (even in the small hick town where I grew up).

Is it possible that Millennials (regardless of color) just aren't as familiar with groups that haven't had a hit since the early 90s? Do you think Millenials or Gen Z would know Heavy D, Salt-n-Pepa, Digital Underground, C & C Music Factory, or hair bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, or Scorpions? All had big hits in their day, but haven't been relevant for a while, so I'm not surprised if the younger generations aren't familiar. We Gen X-ers are now reaching an age where we have to come to grips with the fact that the music we grew up with is now "old people music."

Honestly, it seems like more of a generational thing than a cultural thing. I'm as white as it gets, but I'm well aware of BBD & "Poison" (it still has one of my favorite lines in any song). But it was popular ages ago when I was in high school (even in the small hick town where I grew up).

Is it possible that Millennials (regardless of color) just aren't as familiar with groups that haven't had a hit since the early 90s? Do you think Millenials or Gen Z would know Heavy D, Salt-n-Pepa, Digital Underground, C & C Music Factory, or hair bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, or Scorpions? All had big hits in their day, but haven't been relevant for a while, so I'm not surprised if the younger generations aren't familiar. We Gen X-ers are now reaching an age where we have to come to grips with the fact that the music we grew up with is now "old people music."
Valid point.

Omg are we “the old” people now? Lol

This is how I see this one specific case as well. I grew up in just about the most Caucasian town possible and we all were into Bell Biv Devoe and especially Poison when I was growing up .... But I am also ~8 years older than Craig - I think it was really just before his time

Doesn't mean there couldn't be a be benefit to more diversity in general but I don't think this specific case makes that point

I will say that the reason I was so very excited about the music discussion coming up is that I am very unique among my friends with my musical tastes - white, late 50's. And my musical tastes are EXTREMELY eclectic - Aerosmith Kenny G, 70's - 90's R&B and all the artists/types of music that encompasses - so I won't name artists Gin Blossoms, Oasis, Camilla Cabello, One Direction (and Harry!) :), Post Malone, Bruno Mars, a LOT of "today's hits" radio and artists. Most of my friends have never heard of a lot/most of the artists/songs that I like or listen to, and don't even want to try and expand their musical tastes and horizons. It's always made me a mixture of angry, and sad, and I've always felt left out and disregarded when it came to music. I've even been told straight out I'm "strange, weird, and fringe". And I've faced that same kind of reaction, and still do, from all different ages, races, ethnicities, etc. So it's like I don't fit nobody's pre-conceived notions or molds. And I've always been pretty proud of that, although it is isolating.

I am newly moved into a 55+ community, and I can GUARANTEE you if I payed MOST of my Pandora radio stations loud enough for any of my neighbors to hear (currently listening to a Today's Hits Explicit Version Pandora station, and "Roxanne" by Airzona Zervas is playing!!) they would NEVER understand, and probably never SPEAK to me again, or maybe even have a special meeting of the HOA/Trustee Board to have me summarily removed from the premises! :rotfl2: And ask me if I care? I've always liked what I liked musically, and that was one of the few areas of my life I didn't try to live up to what was expected of me, or was "acceptable to society, and normal among my peers". But I was always seen as different, and yes, weird, as far as that's concerned. Again - don't care, and never did. I can promise yo that probably at least 97% of any of my friends and acquaintances would have no IDEA who BBD is (I'd be willing to even say 100%, but being generous here). And I'll again be generous and say MAYBE 75% would know who New Edition is. NKOTB would probably get more recognition. SWV or TLC - un uh.

Before I moved here, I gave my 300+ cassette and CD collection away to a guy in my old building who is a DJ. Even him, knowing me for awhile, was VERY impressed by the depth, and breadth, of my musical collection. Maybe he thought I was just talking smack before he had visual proof of what I was saying. :)

Not taking either "side", just stating what I've found to be the case in my life.

Last edited:
To your point, it's all connected. Think about what is given mainstream attention? Why am I "expected" to know, Mozart or Metallica or Tool or Johnny Cash but MY music legends are not in "your" knowledge base. sad is how the point of diversity is being missed here. The conversation hasn't morphed my friend, a few pages back we were discussing Go Punch and Hit Me, making the point about missed topics that add to the table discussion.

Hi again, my new friend!
You asked me twice " makes sense?"
Let's remind each other that you don't know me, what color, age, or not I am. Nor I do of you. I have no expectations of your music knowledge, be it Johnny Cash, classical, hard rock, etc. And the thing is, I really don't care, but your assumptions of my 'knowledge base'seems rather insulting, and again feel it's takes your original point of the criticism of POC on the Dis Unplugged to the point your agenda is losing me faster and faster.
I think my answer has to be no, will never make sense to continue pointing about why people you think shouldn't be on the Dis Unplugged webcast because of color or lack of your taste in music.
Hope you are all having a magical day!

Hi again, my new friend!
You asked me twice " makes sense?"
Let's remind each other that you don't know me, what color, age, or not I am. Nor I do of you. I have no expectations of your music knowledge, be it Johnny Cash, classical, hard rock, etc. And the thing is, I really don't care, but your assumptions of my 'knowledge base'seems rather insulting, and again feel it's takes your original point of the criticism of POC on the Dis Unplugged to the point your agenda is losing me faster and faster.
I think my answer has to be no, will never make sense to continue pointing about why people you think shouldn't be on the Dis Unplugged webcast because of color or lack of your taste in music.
Hope you are all having a magical day!
Where did I say people shouldn't be on the program? You're missing the actual point it seems. it's fine take care!

I will say that the reason I was so very excited about the music discussion coming up is that I am very unique among my friends with my musical tastes - white, late 50's. And my musical tastes are EXTREMELY eclectic - Aerosmith Kenny G, 70's - 90's R&B and all the artists/types of music that encompasses - so I won't name artists Gin Blossoms, Oasis, Camilla Cabello, One Direction (and Harry!) :), Post Malone, Bruno Mars, a LOT of "today's hits" radio and artists. Most of my friends have never heard of a lot/most of the artists/songs that I like or listen to, and don't even want to try and expand their musical tastes and horizons. It's always made me a mixture of angry, and sad, and I've always felt left out and disregarded when it came to music. I've even been told straight out I'm "strange, weird, and fringe". And I've faced that same kind of reaction, and still do, from all different ages, races, ethnicities, etc. So it's like I don't fit nobody's pre-conceived notions or molds. And I've always been pretty proud of that, although it is isolating.

I am newly moved into a 55+ community, and I can GUARANTEE you if I payed MOST of my Pandora radio stations loud enough for any of my neighbors to hear (currently listening to a Today's Hits Explicit Version Pandora station, and "Roxanne" by Airzona Zervas is playing!!) they would NEVER understand, and probably never SPEAK to me again, or maybe even have a special meeting of the HOA/Trustee Board to have me summarily removed from the premises! :rotfl2: And ask me if I care? I've always liked what I liked musically, and that was one of the few areas of my life I didn't try to live up to what was expected of me, or was "acceptable to society, and normal among my peers". But I was always seen as different, and yes, weird, as far as that's concerned. Again - don't care, and never did. I can promise yo that probably at least 97% of any of my friends and acquaintances would have no IDEA who BBD is (I'd be willing to even say 100%, but being generous here). And I'll again be generous and say MAYBE 75% would know who New Edition is. NKOTB would probably get more recognition. SWV or TLC - un uh.

Before I moved here, I gave my 300+ cassette and CD collection away to a guy in my old building who is a DJ. Even him, knowing me for awhile, was VERY impressed by the depth, and breadth, of my musical collection. Maybe he thought I was just talking smack before he had visual proof of what I was saying. :)

Not taking either "side", just stating what I've found to be the case in my life.
Eclectic indeed! I am the same. I will say that some of the music I know is because I had to know it to be in the circles I move in ( this is part of code-switching) but I don't find anything listed as "strange or weird". You expanded independently, that's awesome! People like what they like, but you don't know what you will like if you are only force-fed what's on the radio.

@Queen2PrincessG - Thanx or the kind words, and I agree you only know what you choose to listen to/know. I love to expand my mind and horizons when, and where I can. I've actually been watching old episodes of "The Shahs of Sunset" on Bravo (trash TV - I know, guilty pleasure of mine! :o ) and one of the ladies on there is an artist, and is recording what i guess you would call"Persian rap" type music, and I've been digging that too. :) Even if it's in Farsi, so I can't understand it. :) And the complex I moved from was predominantly Hispanic, and I came to groove to a lot of the music that was listened to there -from all different parts of the world.

When I said "strange and weird" - I meant <I> was considered "strange and weird" by the people around me, because I was listening to what I was. Let's be plain speaking here - I am white, late 50's - the white people thought (and still think) I'm "strange and weird" because I love 70-90's R&B, or listen to say Post Malone or Khalid today. The black folks thought (and still think) I'm "strange and weird" for the same reason. And I listen to everything I do because I truly DO love it, and have for years, I'm not just doing it to make a point. The DJ I said I gave my collection to is black, and I know him well enough that I was able to call him on the look of total surprise in his eyes, he acknowledged that I was right, and we both had a good laugh about it.

So I don't fit in anybody's mold, or preconceived notions as far as that goes, and am used to the looks, and comments, etc. I am a riddle, wrapped in an enigma. And I've actually grown quite proud of it. :)

Last edited:
I work with a black man, similar in age to Craig, who had no idea who Public Enemy or Chuck D were until a few weeks ago. (He did recognie Flav from some reality show.)

After reading this thread I asked him about BBD. He had never heard of them, nor was he familiar with New Edition. He had heard of Bobby Brown, but only as Whitney Houston's Husband.

I do not in any way think your views on representation are invalid. But I do think this particular issue is more generational than racial.

I work with a black man, similar in age to Craig, who had no idea who Public Enemy or Chuck D were until a few weeks ago. (He did recognie Flav from some reality show.)

After reading this thread I asked him about BBD. He had never heard of them, nor was he familiar with New Edition. He had heard of Bobby Brown, but only as Whitney Houston's Husband.

I do not in any way think your views on representation are invalid. But I do think this particular issue is more generational than racial.

Yeah us young hiphopheads (dear God I hope I still qualify as young), regardless of color, can be hit or miss when it comes to giving proper respect to those who laid the groundwork for hiphop today. I, a very white Italian boy, have enjoyed moments of embarrassing my black friends for their inadequate knowledge of 80s/90s hiphop. Although I probably do the same as them when it comes to the newer crop... I do need to listen to more artists from the past few years.

Even someone like Talib Kweli gets forgotten about by the young’uns! Unforgivable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter