Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be too much to ask if the diversity seen on the show is a reflection of Dreamsgency as a whole? Just curious. Maybe POC don't apply because they don't see themselves and so the circle continues, KWIM?
I know there was a great Dreams agent that did a show out in Disneyland with John and Kevin. It was a Dreams Unlimited show a while back.. She was fun, knowledable, a local to the area, has a palpable love for Disney and the dynamic was great between all three of them. She also was Black/POC. I can't answer any of your inquiries of John but did want to mention that agent, I believe her name is Patrice. She was really fun, hope to see her on again.
I also wanted to ask you a question and please know I'm more curious than argumentative here. You mentioned that POC possibly not applying for a job because they have not seen another POC in that space, is that a common mindset? Is that your experience in other businesses? If so, that mindset needs to go and never reinforced in any way to any person black white or otherwise.
I’m glad you started this conversation. I was offended when I first read your post but not from a racial standpoint rather from a protective one. (I’m not white & not really comfortable with the POC label for myself) The Dis team are like family to me and I felt you were insinuating some malice on their part for not having a (visible) POC on the podcast team. I was wrong with that assessment and am glad the conversations have gone on. While I don’t share some of your viewpoints, the conversation has been eye opening for me, reminded that the world looks different to others than from the way I experience it & and even been turned on to some new cool YouTubers (which is the highlight) Thank you for that.

Here's my useless opinion: I am offended by the term "Person of color" To me it sounds like people are trying to separate people of different race. I also get offended by it because white and black aren't colors, but the people we call "black" fall under this term, but "white" people do not. Also, nobody is really white or black. I am half hispanic and half american, am I a poc? I have no clue. Do I care if I am or not? Not really. I just see it as another label. I look white as heck, but that is just 50% of me. By looking you wouldn't know, which leads me into my next topic.

One of my co-workers is married to a guy who is "mixed" One of his parents is also mixed, and one is fully african, or "black". If you look at him though, he looks white. He has very minimal characteristics of somebody who is african. Its a very interesting gene pool.

The Dis could hire somebody who is like him. Somebody who looks caucasian, but is actually not, but we wouldn't know. We would probably still be here discussing why there isn't more diversity, when there is, but it's not visible.
I would imagine that you would discuss your upbringing/heritage in ways that would identify you as a person of color unless you've been raised or lived your life in such a way that you don't identify with your Hispanic heritage ( which is possible). I'm sorry you are offended by the term but it is the appropriate term people who do not identify as white discuss larger groups of similar identifying people. I'm not sure why you're offended by it though. Can you explain more?

Wait. What? Morgan is NOT an employee of the Dis? I thought she was.

On another note: I agree that sometimes posts are made without regard to someone's feelings. For the love of churros, these folks have feelings. They put themselves out there in the public sphere. How would YOU feel if someone said such negative things about you? Not very good I'm sure.

And finally, when a POC expresses their opinion about lack of diversity, it isn't so people can get defensive and make claims about how that's not really how they feel or how it is. Responses on this thread are not a surprise but it always stings.

You mentioned that POC possibly not applying for a job because they have not seen another POC in that space, is that a common mindset? Is that your experience in other businesses? If so, that mindset needs to go and never reinforced in any way to any person black white or otherwise.
I do not know how common it is but does it happen, YES! It is a learned trait that POC must be able to code-switch in different environments, it can be exhausting. Many people don't want to work in an environment where there isn't at least one ally.

Everyone has a small amount of bias, that's why conversations are good helps people to see blind spots. I, however, disagree that I am bringing any into this conversation or not engaging other viewpoints. The statement Mr. King made is just ludicrous because it is IMPLYING that stories that are not white/cisgender/male aren't of honorable/celebratory quality. Think of all the "1ST" still happening. This is quite trivial but this past year we saw the first year where every titled beauty pageant winner was a woman of color. My point: are we to believe until 2019 only white women were worthy of that title? Qualified? Think about what it means for girls of color to see "their" faces be celebrated. His intent might not be malicious but the impact of the words are.
Yet we still haven’t had a single Caucasian win Miss Black America.

I'm not sure why you're offended by it though. Can you explain more?
I'm not sure how to word it in a text so it makes sense.

Basically I don't like how they call them a person of color when they aren't. They are just people of a darker shade than your average white person

I'm not sure how to word it in a text so it makes sense.

Basically I don't like how they call them a person of color when they aren't. They are just people of a darker shade than your average white person

They are a darker shade... so they're not white. What would make you happy to call them?

Lol I really don't know. I just call them by their race

Fair enough, I think that's an honest answer.

I will admit that I originally felt odd calling them people of color... but if that's what they want to be called, I'm all for it.

Fair enough, I think that's an honest answer.

I will admit that I originally felt odd calling them people of color... but if that's what they want to be called, I'm all for it.
I agree but what I dont understand is why is black considered color but white is not?

I agree but what I dont understand is why is black considered color but white is not?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I truly don't want to be rude... but you may be a tad naive about race issues right now. Knowledge and insight will come with age, experience, interacting with people different from you. Just keep an open mind and listen to other perspectives!

So you’re more annoyed with the word used? Poc is the term being used to describe multiple people of ethnic backgrounds who have been marginalized. There isn't just one race there are way to many so to pluralize, POC is the term.
From what I can tell from your statement you’re actually biracial but you have been “passing”? I’m sorry that you don’t like the word but why you would feel more comfortable using specific races to identify versus the term that people prefer is interesting. We are not just darker than the average person. The stories of who we are a vastly different than someone who’s “white”.

They are a darker shade... so they're not white. What would make you happy to call them?
A lot of people that are Latino and are referred to as people of color are 100% white. They are completely of European ancestry. Penelope Cruz and AOC are both 100% Spanish ancestry, but for some crazy reason since AOC’s ancestors settled in Puerto Rico she is a POC while Cruz is a white European.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter