Two Years and Already Decided to Sell

Tardisblue

Don't Blink
Big Disney fans - made at least one trip (and sometimes multiple) every year from 2009 to this year. I ran Dopey in 2014 and Goofy in 2017. Did a adult only trip for a milestone birthday for my wife - you get the picture. We like it. A lot. Finally decided to pull the trigger and buy resale in 2016 AFTER the April 4th cutoff for perks. 200 points at Boardwalk at less than $100/pp at the time.

Spent our first trip at BWV in a 2BR overlooking the Boardwalk in May 2017 - great trip. Zero complaints. Went again later that fall for 1 night at OKW and 2 nights at SSR because we had a few leftover points. That trip was just meh - OKW hadn't had the upgrade and I felt SSR was a slightly better themed version of a Hampton Inn.

We spent a week in a studio at Poly for spring break and really loved it. Room was a little tight, but I loved the theme and the bathroom layout worked well. Another great trip.

So, why are we selling? A few reasons:

1. I'm honestly a little Disneyed out. I know they are making changes and upgrades - Pandora is cool, I'm sure Toy Story Land is worth seeing at some point, but we need a break which leads to point #2.
  2. My kids have been so many times and they are getting older. There is so much to see in the world that I'd like to use those vacation dollars elsewhere.
  3. The annual fee is ALWAYS there and will ALWAYS increase. There is no discount because I purchased resale and I don't get the few perks.
  4. Prices increased and we are actually making a little bit of money by selling now.
  5. We are honestly OK staying at Moderate resorts - POFQ being a favorite.
It would have been ideal for us to have purchased in 2009 when our kids were much younger, but, you know, daycare and stuff. Finally could afford it and it was just a little too late.

Everyone has different reasons for buying and selling. This is our story for good or bad.

TB

Edit - corrected to say we stayed in a studio at Poly, not a 1BR. Also corrected a misspelled word (than --> that).

Last edited:
Sounds like you got some great trips out of it and with BWV prices being where they are could end up getting those nearly 'for free' after selling for a profit.

Did you consider renting your points for a year or two and seeing how you feel at that point? Could probably make ~$9/ point profit and use that $1,800 a year towards trips elsewhere for a year or two. The way DVC math tends to work out you can get studios for around the price of a moderate, so might not be 'saving' much by selling and paying for moderates.

If you love Disney you will be back after a break.

My advice..... make sure you go take a look at those mod room rates and lack of discounts. They are not what they used to be!!! We were POR and free dining lovers and I admit I may miss that, but we can stay at BWV for less esp since the mods now only come with QS for free dining. Our trips were soooo cheap and we ate wherever we wanted with no concern of cost. No more.

Prices are so high now on DVC purchases. I'd hate to see you sorry you sold 3 years from now.

Things got tough when my oldest started HS, but now she's in college and has longer breaks. Younger DD doesn't mind missing school (lol) so we are back in business! We do have a small contract (low dues) and qualify for discounts (making the trips relatively cheap and allowing room in the budget for other vacations).

Of course, flip side is it's a seller's market and you will make out pretty well!

Good luck!

OP, I think a lot of people reach the same conclusions you did after a few years. The DVC resale market is very active so that means current owners are selling for any number of reasons. I think it's way more logical to assume one will own DVC for far less than the 50 years we all expect when we initially buy. I will add though, from personal experience, that after children comes grandchildren and a reason for a whole new batch of Disney trips! Good luck!

sorry to see you go! You were buying BWV when I was buying my VGF contracts. At least you're going to make a profit on the points though, so those trips you took were seriously discounted!

OP, I think a lot of people reach the same conclusions you did after a few years. The DVC resale market is very active so that means current owners are selling for any number of reasons. I think it's way more logical to assume one will own DVC for far less than the 50 years we all expect when we initially buy. Good luck!

This is why I don't get everyone's hangup about "only" having 23 years left on a contract. How many people have held a contract for 20+ years?

Sounds like you got some great trips out of it and with BWV prices being where they are could end up getting those nearly 'for free' after selling for a profit.

Did you consider renting your points for a year or two and seeing how you feel at that point? Could probably make ~$9/ point profit and use that $1,800 a year towards trips elsewhere for a year or two. The way DVC math tends to work out you can get studios for around the price of a moderate, so might not be 'saving' much by selling and paying for moderates.

We did not consider renting. Perhaps should have given that some thought, but the deal has already passed ROFR and we're set to close sometime in August. I have no regrets either way. I learned a lot about the process

Now is the time to sell if you want to sell it. I don't think there is another timeshare besides Disney where you can see a profit when selling.

So, why are we selling? A few reasons:
Did you forget about Vero, HHI and Aulani? There are other uses for your points which don't involve going to a park, which i can see that you have had your fill. Sometimes you need a little time off to rekindle the magic.

Just to be certain that this is what you truly want -- and that you won't regret it. I would recommend renting out your points for a couple of years, which could fund these other trips and pay for the MF. See how you feel. Knowing that you can't go can help you decide if you are truly ok with it.

I did just look at another post that you are already in ROFR. So sad.

We bought in 2015 with only the intention of going every other year. I'm having a tough time with that and want to add on, but we did this on purpose so that we could plan other trips to see other areas of the country. We know we could sell today and make a profit from what we paid and spent in MF , but we have looked at this in the long term --we know that when the kids are older and in college we will appreciate the adult only trips pretty much any time of the year that we want -- it is tough with school and sports to find the time to go. We also know once they have kids themselves they will likely want to go to- so there is longevity in DVC, but sometimes your day to day life takes precedence and wins.

Did you forget about Vero, HHI and Aulani? There are other uses for your points which don't involve going to a park, which i can see that you have had your fill. Sometimes you need a little time off to rekindle the magic.

Just to be certain that this is what you truly want -- and that you won't regret it. I would recommend renting out your points for a couple of years, which could fund these other trips and pay for the MF. See how you feel. Knowing that you can't go can help you decide if you are truly ok with it.

I did just look at another post that you are already in ROFR. So sad.

We bought in 2015 with only the intention of going every other year. I'm having a tough time with that and want to add on, but we did this on purpose so that we could plan other trips to see other areas of the country. We know we could sell today and make a profit from what we paid and spent in MF , but we have looked at this in the long term --we know that when the kids are older and in college we will appreciate the adult only trips pretty much any time of the year that we want -- it is tough with school and sports to find the time to go. We also know once they have kids themselves they will likely want to go to- so there is longevity in DVC, but sometimes your day to day life takes precedence and wins.
I went though a a one year period years ago, questioning whether we should sell, our kids were 25 and 17 at the time. Since then, we have used it at HHI, Vero a few times, and Aulani . In 2009, we did 5 nights at Disneyland and went to San Diego for a few nights, a super vacation! We had a what I consider our "trip of a lifetime" in Aulani, sons ages 27 and 19. Wanted to do Aulani, the four of us, sort of as a last "hurrah" knowing that our older DS would be getting engaged. SO GRATEFUL that we had the time together, the four of us. Now with eldest DS marrying this August, we are looking forward to when they have children and spending time with the grandkids.:jumping3: Just a thought, agree with kniquy, have you thought about using your points in other places other than the parks?:confused:BEST OF LUCK with your decision!:goodvibes

If you love Disney you will be back after a break.

My advice..... make sure you go take a look at those mod room rates and lack of discounts. They are not what they used to be!!! We were POR and free dining lovers and I admit I may miss that, but we can stay at BWV for less esp since the mods now only come with QS for free dining. Our trips were soooo cheap and we ate wherever we wanted with no concern of cost. No more.

Prices are so high now on DVC purchases. I'd hate to see you sorry you sold 3 years from now.

Things got tough when my oldest started HS, but now she's in college and has longer breaks. Younger DD doesn't mind missing school (lol) so we are back in business! We do have a small contract (low dues) and qualify for discounts (making the trips relatively cheap and allowing room in the budget for other vacations).

Of course, flip side is it's a seller's market and you will make out pretty well!

Good luck!

No question at all about returning - probably after Star Wars Land opens and the insanity dies down a bit.

One thing I forgot to mention about selling is that we felt obligated to go to Disney because we owned DVC. Yes, the hotel portion was covered, but we still had to purchase plane tickets, park tickets, food, merchandise (not required but come on! Who are we kidding?). It is just time for us to spread those vacation dollars around instead of donating it all to the mouse.

I don't consider the choice to sell a sad thing. If the OP feels like they got their value and the family is ready to move on, good for them for getting a few good trips, and a profit on the sale. Now someone else who loves the idea of owning DVC will get that opportunity. Sounds like a happy ending to me.

Precisely. Not sad at all, we had great memories, but we had great memories before when we stayed at POFQ, CBR, and a townhouse off property.

No question at all about returning - probably after Star Wars Land opens and the insanity dies down a bit.

One thing I forgot to mention about selling is that we felt obligated to go to Disney because we owned DVC. Yes, the hotel portion was covered, but we still had to purchase plane tickets, park tickets, food, merchandise (not required but come on! Who are we kidding?). It is just time for us to spread those vacation dollars around instead of donating it all to the mouse.

And now you can pay to rent those same points that you sold off when you do want to return. The DVC rental market is the 2nd best kept secret at Disney. If you only want to go once every 4-5 years, it can be the best option financially for you.

This sounds like the right decision for you and your family. It's a lot of capital to tie up in something you don't want to use. Also keeping that much capital locked up in an asset that will likely lose significant value (and perhaps is overvalued now) in the next market downturn is assuming a lot of risk, and depends on a healthy rental market to be sustainable.

For a lot of us who love going, and look forward to all the things coming up, you can understand how holding onto it and renting makes sense, because if things go south, we can just use it ourselves. But it's sounding a lot like an obligation for you, which DVC should never be.

This sounds like the right decision for you and your family. It's a lot of capital to tie up in something you don't want to use. Also keeping that much capital locked up in an asset that will likely lose significant value (and perhaps is overvalued now) in the next market downturn is assuming a lot of risk, and depends on a healthy rental market to be sustainable.

For a lot of us who love going, and look forward to all the things coming up, you can understand how holding onto it and renting makes sense, because if things go south, we can just use it ourselves. But it's sounding a lot like an obligation for you, which DVC should never be.

This has also been in the back of my mind. Prices are rising and my Spidey senses have been tingling. I’m no expert and have zero ability to time market fluctuations but *if* the market turned sour I'd like to cash out on this asset now rather than hold through a downturn.

4. Prices increased and we are actually making a little bit of money by selling now
Everyone has different reasons for buying and selling. This is our story for good or bad.

TB
Some people buy DVC and enjoy it for 30+ years. Some people buy DVC and in a year or two realize it was a mistake or that it wasn't for them or they need/want to get out for some other reason. This is the main reason why I advocate buying resale, because it gives you flexibility and the option of getting out for roughly the same amount of money you got in for. Direct purchases aren't bad, but if you need to get out quickly you run the risk of possibly losing a significant amount of money. Not in all circumstances and not with every resort, but enough that it would make me personally uncomfortable with a direct purchase. But everyone has a different risk tolerance and I totally respect that. I'm glad for the OP that they were able to dabble in DVC and get out unscathed. Congrats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter