UAL flirting with Chapter 11

Ned Land

Mouseketeer
Struggling carrier admits hiring bankruptcy lawyers but won't say if filing is imminent.

The Chicago area news says that UAL hired the firm back last fall after the 9/11 mess so this isn't something that they've done recently.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. United is more likely to get govt. loans than Vanguard. The airline industry will survive if a small carrier like Vanguard goes under, but if United collapses the aftershocks will be very big.

Considering that 1/3 of the flights in and out of my local airport are US Airways, I don't find that a comforting thought. :p

Believe it or not according to recent articles I have read, UA and US are in the same boat right now. With the negotiations that usair has right now , they really stress that its worse than it is to get the concessions. In fact every time they have a contract coming up they whine about how they have no money, but yet the big wigs always get thier raises.....go figure. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see most major airlines go through reorganization within the next year or two (this includes UAL, US Airways, American and Delta). The face of airline transportation is changing and the only ones ahead of the curve are Southwest and JetBlue and perhaps AirTran (the jury is still out on that since its depending on community support, i.e. pre-paid tickets and guaranteed revenues). I don't think reorganization will be such a bad thing, but a time for the airlines to reassess and perhaps actually come up with a business plan that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter