Uber/Lyft cost?

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
If this should be on the transportation board please move!

We're thinking about taking Disney buses to get to EMM (Early Morning Magic) but then riding Lyft/Uber back to our room at Pop. I've never used this service before.
(1) About how much would that cost to go from MK to Pop? (2 adults, 1 child, so wouldn't need a large vehicle)
(2) How many minutes ahead of time should I request it? Or
(3) Do I even need to request it? Or are there usually people sitting there waiting for customers to walk up (like how taxi drivers might congregate I places people frequently need a taxi.)

Last edited:
You can get fare estimates at rideguru.com

You use the app to request a car when you need it. You don't book in advance or just hop in a waiting car like you would a taxi

Thank you. So I will definitely need to get on a the app and request someone. Got it.

For question #2 - when I say "how many minutes ahead of time" I mean do I need to wait until I'm at the pick up point to do the request? Or does it often take some time for them to get there so you should do the request as you're making your way out of the park?

Thank you. So I will definitely need to get on a the app and request someone. Got it.

For question #2 - when I say "how many minutes ahead of time" I mean do I need to wait until I'm at the pick up point to do the request? Or does it often take some time for them to get there so you should do the request as you're making your way out of the park?

It varies. This will make more sense when you download either service's app... but you can "see" the drivers near you on the map and it will show an estimate of how many minutes away from pickup they are from you.

Sometimes when leaving a park I'll eyeball the app and see what it looks like in terms of drivers around. If none are close, I may go ahead and request one at that point. If there are a lot around, I'll just mess with it once outside the gate and closer to the pickup spot.

If this should be on the transportation board please move!

We're thinking about taking Disney buses to get to EMM (Early Morning Magic) but then riding Lyft/Uber back to our room at Pop. I've never used this service before.
(1) About how much would that cost to go from MK to Pop? (2 adults, 1 child, so wouldn't need a large vehicle)
The RideGuru suggestion is a good one. It will give you a pretty accurate estimate for Uber and Lyft (and taxi), including the various levels of service.

You will also get a price quote on the app from either company immediately prior to ordering your ride. Unlike a taxi, you will KNOW how much you will pay.
(2) How many minutes ahead of time should I request it?
First of all, here's a link to Harry Campbell's video on how to use the Uber Rider App, 2018 version:
I haven't watched the whole thing, but if it's typical Harry, it is very detailed and accurate. Lyft's app has some cosmetic differences, but works essentially the same.

Second -- ALWAYS be at the pickup point before you order a ride. Uber/Lyft vehicles are so plentiful, we call them "ants!" The pickup will be very quick.

But there is another reason. When you order a ride, the app dispatches a driver to the location where you ordered the ride. If you MOVE, the driver is still going to respond to the dispatch location. If you are not there in a reasonable time (generally 5 minutes), the driver will cancel "no show," and you will be charged a cancellation fee.

I don't recommend "scheduling" a ride through either company, but especially through Lyft. All that really means is that your request is timed for automatic dispatch a few minutes prior to your scheduled pickup...whether or not you are actually ready. The frequent result is the driver arrives early, waits the required period, cancels "no show" and you get charged a cancellation fee.

With Lyft, that problem is compounded by a system "feature" they have (called "re-dispatch") which dispatches drivers as scheduled, cancels them, and then reassigns the ride to another driver -- a nightmare for both drivers and riders, but the cute little codekids at Lyft are really proud of it...lol. Because of that feature, most experienced Lyft drivers will not accept a scheduled ride.

With regard to your child: If the child is younger than six years old, you will need a car seat. If so, you have three choices:
  1. Use an Uber with child seat -- which is subject to availability. Lyft does not offer vehicles with child seats.
  2. Use a Disney MinnieVan for $25, which has two child seats (between Disney properties only -- NO offsite)
  3. Bring your own car seat or booster.

It varies. This will make more sense when you download either service's app... but you can "see" the drivers near you on the map and it will show an estimate of how many minutes away from pickup they are from you.

Sometimes when leaving a park I'll eyeball the app and see what it looks like in terms of drivers around. If none are close, I may go ahead and request one at that point. If there are a lot around, I'll just mess with it once outside the gate and closer to the pickup spot.

Oooo.... that makes alot of sense, that it will give you the time estimate when you get on the app. Fantastic!

The RideGuru suggestion is a good one. It will give you a pretty accurate estimate for Uber and Lyft (and taxi), including the various levels of service.

You will also get a price quote on the app from either company immediately prior to ordering your ride. Unlike a taxi, you will KNOW how much you will pay.

First of all, here's a link to Harry Campbell's video on how to use the Uber Rider App, 2018 version:
I haven't watched the whole thing, but if it's typical Harry, it is very detailed and accurate. Lyft's app has some cosmetic differences, but works essentially the same.

Second -- ALWAYS be at the pickup point before you order a ride. Uber/Lyft vehicles are so plentiful, we call them "ants!" The pickup will be very quick.

But there is another reason. When you order a ride, the app dispatches a driver to the location where you ordered the ride. If you MOVE, the driver is still going to respond to the dispatch location. If you are not there in a reasonable time (generally 5 minutes), the driver will cancel "no show," and you will be charged a cancellation fee.

I don't recommend "scheduling" a ride through either company, but especially through Lyft. All that really means is that your request is timed for automatic dispatch a few minutes prior to your scheduled pickup...whether or not you are actually ready. The frequent result is the driver arrives early, waits the required period, cancels "no show" and you get charged a cancellation fee.

With Lyft, that problem is compounded by a system "feature" they have (called "re-dispatch") which dispatches drivers as scheduled, cancels them, and then reassigns the ride to another driver -- a nightmare for both drivers and riders, but the cute little codekids at Lyft are really proud of it...lol. Because of that feature, most experienced Lyft drivers will not accept a scheduled ride.

This is great info, Thanks!

With regard to your child: If the child is younger than six years old, you will need a car seat. If so, you have three choices:
  1. Use an Uber with child seat -- which is subject to availability. Lyft does not offer vehicles with child seats.
  2. Use a Disney MinnieVan for $25, which has two child seats (between Disney properties only -- NO offsite)
  3. Bring your own car seat or booster.

Love this post! I'm a Child Passenger Safety Technician (Certified in Car Seat Safety) so even though my kiddo will be 8 years old she will definitely be in a booster of some kind. I will probably get one of those mifold type boosters that are really compact and can fit in a backpack. I really appreciate you sharing info like this and looking out for all the little ones!

One additional suggestion. Be sure both adults have BOTH rideshare apps (Uber and Lyft) on their phones.

It costs nothing to establish an account and each new account usually gets some kind of new-user promotion -- typically $20 in discounts, usable $5 per ride. So that can give you some cost savings, and having both apps on both phones doubles your potential savings.

Also, although RideGuru will usually show identical price estimates between Uber and Lyft, that is not always true in real life. Sometimes one company is more than the other. Sometimes one company's pickup time will be much better than the other. So have both on both phones.

You can't get an Uber/Lyft right at MK. You would need to go to the Contemporary or the TTC.

You can't get an Uber/Lyft right at MK. You would need to go to the Contemporary or the TTC.

Well shoot. That was the whole point, to avoid TTC. We normally enjoy taking the boat monorail, but since wellw have to be there so early for EMM I don't think we'll enjoy it. We don't like riding the buses when it's crowded, and we'll have our car with is, so I guess we'll just drive there. Thank you so much everyone!

Last edited:
Well shoot. That was the whole point, to avoid TTC. We normally enjoy taking the boat monorail, but since wellw have to be there so early for EMM I don't think we'll enjoy it. Wr don't like riding the nises when it's crowded, and we'll have our car with is, so I guess we'll just drove there. Thank you so much everyone!
If you want to avoid the ttc, why not just take the bus? It's a lot easier than driving

Well shoot. That was the whole point, to avoid TTC.
If you bus TO MK, you don't have to worry about TTC. The bus stops are right there, just outside the MK entrance. When you are ready to leave, just walk 100 yards and get on a bus back to Pop.

Or...if you want to Uber, you just walk a short distance to the Contemporary/BLT (less than 15 minutes) and take Uber.

TTC is only involved if you drive.

If you want to avoid the ttc, why not just take the bus? It's a lot easier than driving

I had lots of typos in my last post and just fixed them, but I was saying we don't like riding the buses when they're crowded. We really don't mind driving, and even like taking the monorail/boat to MK. We just need to be there so early for EMM and the buses will be almost empty first thing in the morning so that seems like a great choice. The problem is just figuring out how to get back to the room at that point. I was hoping Uber would be my magic solution but doesn't seem like it is.

If you bus TO MK, you don't have to worry about TTC. The bus stops are right there, just outside the MK entrance. When you are ready to leave, just walk 100 yards and get on a bus back to Pop.

Right, I knew you have to go through TTC if you drive your own car, and I knew the buses circumvented TTC. That's why I was thinking of using it for our EMM morning. But we don't like riding crowded buses, so wouldn't want to ride them BACK to Pop later in the day... so was trying to think of an alternative way to get back to our room. I thought maybe "taxi" type vehicles were allowed to pick up and drop at MK rather than TTC but now I've learned that's not true.

Or...if you want to Uber, you just walk a short distance to the Contemporary/BLT (less than 15 minutes) and take Uber.

Ok, that's a possibility!

Does the Minnie Van pick up at MK or do you.habe to go through TTC?

It's really not a big deal if we do need to go through TTC on our way out. I'm mostly just wanting to avoid it in the morning due to time.

I really appreciate the responses!

Last edited:
I had lots of typos in my last post and just fixed them, but I was saying we don't like riding the buses when they're crowded.
Buses won't be crowded going to EMM. Tickets are extremely limited. Crowds coming back will depend what time you leave.

Buses won't be crowded going to EMM. Tickets are extremely limited. Crowds coming back will depend what time you leave.

Yes I know. They will be virtually empty in the morning, but more crowded on the drive back. That's why I was looking into non-bus transportation options for the way back.

Yes I know. They will be virtually empty in the morning, but more crowded on the drive back. That's why I was looking into non-bus transportation options for the way back.
  • Yes, Minnie Vans pick up at the MK bus depot, and do include 2 child car seats.
  • It's only a 10-minute walk to CR to get Uber or Lyft, but you will have to provide your own booster. You can also take the monorail one stop if you don't want to walk.
  • You still haven't shared what time you plan to leave MK. If it's mid afternoon, buses probably won't be crowded. If it's park closing or post-fireworks, buses will be crowded, but you also may have trouble getting a Minnie Van.

• Yes, Minnie Vans pick up at the MK bus depot, and do include 2 child car seats.
  • It's only a 10-minute walk to CR to get Uber or Lyft, but you will have to provide your own booster. You can also take the monorail one stop if you don't want to walk.
  • You still haven't shared what time you plan to leave MK. If it's mid afternoon, buses probably won't be crowded. If it's park closing or post-fireworks, buses will be crowded, but you also may have trouble getting a Minnie Van.

Our trip is 6 months away so I'm still not sure what time we would be leaving. Your reply was helpful - Thanks all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter