Uber/Lyft in WDW and Airport - car seat

thor369

Mouseketeer
We we travel to mexico and have taken a private shuttle, we have had our kids on our laps. I am assuming if some one was taking the magical express bus, they would do the same.
So for uber/lyft from the airport to WDW and withing WDW from hotel to park, can we have kids on our lap? or do we need to get car seats.
I am reading less availability of uber with car seats and none for lyft unless minnie van (expensive).

We plan on using uber/lyft for the whole week, is there to get any discounts?

Boosters and/or Car seats are required for any child 6 and under (or under 6, one or the other) when using Ride Share
Lyft has none.
Uber may have a vehicle with 1, it costs extra and must be the specific type of service selected at the start of the request.
Minnie Vans are offered and have 2 car seats.

Boosters and/or Car seats are required for any child 6 and under (or under 6, one or the other) when using Ride Share
It's 5 and under. Car seats are NOT required on buses.
https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/child-safety/safety-belts-child-restraints/
Lyft has none.
Uber may have a vehicle with 1, it costs extra and must be the specific type of service selected at the start of the request.
Correct.

Uber has both X and XL vehicles with one car seat. The surcharge for car seats in the Orlando market is $8 for both X and XL.
Minnie Vans are offered and have 2 car seats.
Correct, however the MCO-WDW MinnieVan fare is $150.00. Non-airport MV fares are $15.00+$2.75 per mile, which is MUCH more than Uber or Lyft.

Another option might be to bring your own BubbleBum or similar boosters.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that you can reserve a Mears black car and request a car seat in advance. It's probably true for other car service providers, too. I don't know how the fare compares to an airport Minnie Van.

I can't remember how old your kids are @thor369 but they'll need car seats to get to/from the Swolphin, which means you'll need probably need to bring your own car seats.

On the busses to/from the Swan/Dolphin within WDW it's like any city bus. They can sit on your lap or stand or whatever.

I can't remember how old your kids are @thor369 but they'll need car seats to get to/from the Swolphin, which means you'll need probably need to bring your own car seats.

On the busses to/from the Swan/Dolphin within WDW it's like any city bus. They can sit on your lap or stand or whatever.

Both kids are under 6, I don't want to lug my car seat, the only other option I see is the bubblebum inflatable booster seat or uber X or XL with one car seat and I carry the inflatable one. Are there plenty of uber X and XL near the airport? what about inside Disney world?

Both kids are under 6, I don't want to lug my car seat, the only other option I see is the bubblebum inflatable booster seat or uber X or XL with one car seat and I carry the inflatable one. Are there plenty of uber X and XL near the airport? what about inside Disney world?
Plenty of Uber's throughout the Orlando market, but Uber's with car seats are limited. Two BubbleBums would be the best idea. That way you would have unlimited availability of rides and could also use Lyft if their pricing was better.

Plenty of Uber's throughout the Orlando market, but Uber's with car seats are limited. Two BubbleBums would be the best idea. That way you would have unlimited availability of rides and could also use Lyft if their pricing was better.

So if we don't have a car seat, Uber/Lyft will decline service? just curious.

I plan to get the bublebums car seat.

Stupid question and can't figure out how to best do it. We will stop at the outlet mall on our way to WDW, we also want to stop at a grocery store to pick up a few essentials, I googled and found that there is a Publix grocery store half mile away from the outlet mall.

When we are done with the outlet mall and take an uber to go to WDW can we ask them to stop at the grocery store? will they wait? I don't think any uber will come to get us from outlet to the grocery store half mile away, will they?

That depends on the driver. They should decline the ride and ask you to cancel -- which you should do, but it will cost you $5-$6. The reason I say you should do the cancellation is that the driver accepted the ride in good faith, and then finds it's an illegal ride. If you do the cancellation, the driver goes back to the head of the queue and is not penalized.

Stupid question and can't figure out how to best do it. We will stop at the outlet mall on our way to WDW, we also want to stop at a grocery store to pick up a few essentials, I googled and found that there is a Publix grocery store half mile away from the outlet mall.

When we are done with the outlet mall and take an uber to go to WDW can we ask them to stop at the grocery store? will they wait? I don't think any uber will come to get us from outlet to the grocery store half mile away, will they?
With this situation, I would look for another alternative besides rideshare.

Drivers are not going to wait for you to shop because they don't get paid enough for that. Yes, they will drive you the 1/2 mile from the mall to Publix, but nobody is going to wait for you. That means that at both the mall and the Publix, you will have your luggage with you -- not a good plan.

My suggestion is that you research a one-day car rental to get all that done.

Another option would be to Uber from the airport to your resort, check into your room, and then Uber back to the mall/Publix without all your luggage. Again, each stop would be a separate ride, but it would be much more manageable.

That depends on the driver. They should decline the ride and ask you to cancel -- which you should do, but it will cost you $5-$6. The reason I say you should do the cancellation is that the driver accepted the ride in good faith, and then finds it's an illegal ride. If you do the cancellation, the driver goes back to the head of the queue and is not penalized.

With this situation, I would look for another alternative besides rideshare.

Drivers are not going to wait for you to shop because they don't get paid enough for that. Yes, they will drive you the 1/2 mile from the mall to Publix, but nobody is going to wait for you. That means that at both the mall and the Publix, you will have your luggage with you -- not a good plan.

My suggestion is that you research a one-day car rental to get all that done.

Another option would be to Uber from the airport to your resort, check into your room, and then Uber back to the mall/Publix without all your luggage. Again, each stop would be a separate ride, but it would be much more manageable.

Thanks, only if the hotel we are staying would allow amazon prime now delivery. Need to look more into it and see if they is a way to get it delivered to the hotel.

What about a private car service?

It looks like in your case this may be the best option - prior to DME and then rideshare we used them all the time to and from Disney and Universal. Most will have one car seat, and stop at a grocery store at no additional charge if you book a round trip, you still need one bubble bum and may have to skip the outlets though. Florida Tours and Tiffany Town car are the services we used.

What about a private car service?

It looks like in your case this may be the best option - prior to DME and then rideshare we used them all the time to and from Disney and Universal. Most will have one car seat, and stop at a grocery store at no additional charge if you book a round trip, you still need one bubble bum and may have to skip the outlets though. Florida Tours and Tiffany Town car are the services we used.

Actually, TIffany Town Car gives you a grocery stop at no additional charge even if you do not book round trip. That might not be of interest to OP but thought I would mention it.

As an FYI inf Florida the driver of a car (doesn't matter if is a for hire or not) is subject to the below penalties if a five year old or younger is not in a federally approved car seat.

"Penalties for not following the law can include a $60.00 fine and 3 points against your driver’s license."

I plan to get the bublebums car seat.

Truthfully, and in all sincerity, does it matter if the driver agrees to pick you up or not? They should not but that shouldn't even matter. Why would you even ask? Would you drive your own vehicle at home with your child unrestrained? I can't imagine why it would even enter your mind as a possibility anywhere else. If you need to shop that badly, get a car of your own for the day. Recently been reserving some rental cars and all of them include an option to add on a car seat.
Thanks, only if the hotel we are staying would allow amazon prime now delivery. Need to look more into it and see if they is a way to get it delivered to the hotel.
Where are you staying? Disney? If so, there is an option for outside vendor deliveries. You meet them. Issue resolved.

You can meet the driver at the Swolphin (I believe). It's more that if gets delivered to Bell Services/Front desk you incur an astronomical charge. You would just meet them at drop/off checkin. Like if you were ordering pizza delivery from dominos or whatever.

As an FYI inf Florida the driver of a car (doesn't matter if is a for hire or not) is subject to the below penalties if a five year old or younger is not in a federally approved car seat.

"Penalties for not following the law can include a $60.00 fine and 3 points against your driver’s license."
I don't know where you got that information, but it is incorrect. If the passengers are paying for a ride, the responsibility for the child restraints is theirs -- NOT the driver. If there is an issue, the PARENT gets the ticket.

Here's the applicable paragraph from Florida Statute 316..613:

"(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section."

And here's a link to the full statute: http://flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2014/316.613

Two bubblebums might not be the best idea, though, depending on the ages of the kids. OP said both kids are under 6. Unless they’re twins, one of them is 4 or under, necessitating a 5 point harness. Really, most 5 year olds should be in a 5 point harness too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!