Uber Rookie: MCO-SW-WDW-SW-MCO

Tbone17701

Disney Dreamer
I'm guessing this is the right place to post this? DH, DD13 & myself are doing a quick trip to Orlando for Columbus Day. We're flying in late Sun night, splitting Mon between SW & MNSSHP and flying back out Tues afternoon. We have never used Uber, but I'm thinking it might be the least expensive and most expeditious way to get around this time. So, my question is simply are there any Uber pros that would be willing to share any absolute must know tips with us Uber rookies? I'm mainly worried about any rules with regard to airport and MK pick up and drop off that I might not be aware of? Thinking I'll use the CR vs. TTC as my p/u & d/o point for MK? Staying at a hotel near SW, so that part should be pretty straight forward I would think?

Thanks much!:-)

Well, first of all, here's a link to Rideshare Rob's excellent, comprehensive all things Uber thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/everthing-you-wanted-to-know-about-uber-lyft-at-wdw.3443634/

It slipped to page 2, but I'll bump it later.

Uber and Lyft can pick up anywhere in Florida, including airports. About the only exceptions at WDW are areas which are accessible by Disney employees only (like the bus pickup area at MK, as an example.)

Getting started is simple, and I'd recommend that you download both Uber and Lyft apps to give you the full range of choices. You just install the app on your phone, set up your account including establishing your credit card payment method, and you're ready to go.

To order a ride, you simply open the app, enter your destination, select the class of service, and order your ride. In a matter of seconds, a driver will accept your request and will be en route to pick you up. At the end of the ride, you say, "Have a nice day," and the whole thing is billed to your credit card. Simple and easy.

Must-know tips, so you don't look like a rookie:
  1. "Toes to the curb." Never order Uber/Lyft until you are ready to get into the car. Rideshare vehicles are so plentiful we refer to them as "ants." Your ride may show up almost immediately, and will almost certainly arrive within 5 minutes. So be ready. If you're not, the clock is ticking and you are risking a cancellation fee.
  2. Class of service. This is complicated in Orlando, but the type of ride you request depends on several things. The basic factor is how many passengers you have in your party. Four or fewer passengers, you may order UberX or regular Lyft. 4-6 riders, you must order Uber XL or Lyft Plus, which of course is a higher fare. If you have children who need car seats, you will have to order Uber; Lyft does not offer car seats. There are also more luxurious classes of service. Those services are different in the Orlando market than we have here in Miami, so I'll let the local guys fill you in on those details.
  3. Once you order a ride, stay put! Don't order from your room and then walk to the lobby; you're just asking for a cancellation fee. And don't wander off. The apps show the driver your location pretty accurately, so stay in one place to make the pickup easier. You will be able to see your Uber/Lyft vehicle approaching you on the app.
  4. Identifying your Uber. You will be given the driver's real first name, their tag number, a description of their car (in Lyft's case, a picture), and a picture of the driver. Always ask your driver's name. Never ask, "Are you Jim?" Savvy drivers will also ask you your name, and may ask where you are going. Those are basic protections to ensure that you are getting in the right Uber and the driver is picking up the right rider. Seems like a no-brainer, but in crowded venues, it's not.
  5. Ratings. At the end of the ride, the driver will close out the trip. When they do, you will be offered an opportunity to rate the driver...from 1 to 5 stars. It's a messed-up rating system and is generally misunderstood by riders. Five stars is an "A" and is the rating that should be given unless there is something seriously wrong with the ride. 4 stars is an "F," NOT a "B." If a driver maintains an average rating of 4.6 (92%, an A in school), they will be terminated.
  6. Tips. Tips are not required, but they are greatly appreciated. AFTER you do your rating, you will have the option to leave your driver a tip. There was a time when Uber actually advertised that the tip was included in the fare, but that was 7-8 years ago when driver pay rates were double or triple what they are today. Orlando drivers have the lowest pay rates in the US -- even less than the IRS says it costs to operate your car for business purposes! So, if you tip your pizza delivery dude, please tip your Uber driver!
  7. Paying for the ride. Both Uber and Lyft are cashless systems, although you can tip in cash if you prefer. If you choose to leave a tip in the app, that will also be billed to your credit card.
I'm sure Rob or Joel, or both, will add local info very soon regarding your airport/MK questions. Welcome aboard, and have a great trip!

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is the right place to post this? DH, DD13 & myself are doing a quick trip to Orlando for Columbus Day. We're flying in late Sun night, splitting Mon between SW & MNSSHP and flying back out Tues afternoon. We have never used Uber, but I'm thinking it might be the least expensive and most expeditious way to get around this time. So, my question is simply are there any Uber pros that would be willing to share any absolute must know tips with us Uber rookies? I'm mainly worried about any rules with regard to airport and MK pick up and drop off that I might not be aware of? Thinking I'll use the CR vs. TTC as my p/u & d/o point for MK? Staying at a hotel near SW, so that part should be pretty straight forward I would think?

Thanks much!:-)

Forgive me, it's been a long day, but what is SW?

OK - I thought of it. Sea World?

At MCO, Uber & Lyft pick up at the Arrivals level, also known as Level 2. It's the same level as most baggage claims. This is different from taxis and most other ground transportation, which pick up at Level 1. The doors to the roadway are numbered. When you request a ride, I think the app will ask you which door you're at. If it doesn't, text the door number to your driver. Drivers have to wait in a remote parking lot until they're assigned a request, so expect your driver to arrive in 5-10 minutes.

Pickup and dropoff at Sea World is in the lot where buses and taxis pick up. It's all the way to the right after you exit the park, but I'm not sure exactly where in that lot. I would wait until you get to the pickup location before requesting the ride, so that the driver's app will show your correct location.

There are a couple of hotels that are an easy walk to Sea World's gate, so check with the front desk. I think some of the nearby hotels also offer free shuttles, which might be convenient in the morning.

Uber and Lyft can not pick up or drop off right at MK. You can either go to TTC and take the Monorail or Ferryboat (this is the official dropoff spot), or you can go to CR and walk to MK. If there are long lines for the Monorail & Ferryboat when you leave the park, it will probably be faster to walk to CR and request a ride there.

Well, first of all, here's a link to Rideshare Rob's excellent, comprehensive all things Uber thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/everthing-you-wanted-to-know-about-uber-lyft-at-wdw.3443634/

It slipped to page 2, but I'll bump it later.

Uber and Lyft can pick up anywhere in Florida, including airports. About the only exceptions at WDW are areas which are accessible by Disney employees only (like the bus pickup area at MK, as an example.)

Getting started is simple, and I'd recommend that you download both Uber and Lyft apps to give you the full range of choices. You just install the app on your phone, set up your account including establishing your credit card payment method, and you're ready to go.

To order a ride, you simply open the app, enter your destination, select the class of service, and order your ride. In a matter of seconds, a driver will accept your request and will be en route to pick you up. At the end of the ride, you say, "Have a nice day," and the whole thing is billed to your credit card. Simple and easy.

Must-know tips, so you don't look like a rookie:
  1. "Toes to the curb." Never order Uber/Lyft until you are ready to get into the car. Rideshare vehicles are so plentiful we refer to them as "ants." Your ride may show up almost immediately, and will almost certainly arrive within 5 minutes. So be ready. If you're not, the clock is ticking and you are risking a cancellation fee.
  2. Class of service. This is complicated in Orlando, but the type of ride you request depends on several things. The basic factor is how many passengers you have in your party. Four or fewer passengers, you may order UberX or regular Lyft. 4-6 riders, you must order Uber XL or Lyft Plus, which of course is a higher fare. If you have children who need car seats, you will have to order Uber; Lyft does not offer car seats. There are also more luxurious classes of service. Those services are different in the Orlando market than we have here in Miami, so I'll let the local guys fill you in on those details.
  3. Once you order a ride, stay put! Don't order from your room and then walk to the lobby; you're just asking for a cancellation fee. And don't wander off. The apps show the driver your location pretty accurately, so stay in one place to make the pickup easier. You will be able to see your Uber/Lyft vehicle approaching you on the app.
  4. Identifying your Uber. You will be given the driver's real first name, their tag number, a description of their car (in Lyft's case, a picture), and a picture of the driver. Always ask your driver's name. Never ask, "Are you Jim?" Savvy drivers will also ask you your name, and may ask where you are going. Those are basic protections to ensure that you are getting in the right Uber and the driver is picking up the right rider. Seems like a no-brainer, but in crowded venues, it's not.
  5. Ratings. At the end of the ride, the driver will close out the trip. When they do, you will be offered an opportunity to rate the driver...from 1 to 5 stars. It's a messed-up rating system and is generally misunderstood by riders. Five stars is an "A" and is the rating that should be given unless there is something seriously wrong with the ride. 4 stars is an "F," NOT a "B." If a driver maintains an average rating of 4.6 (92%, an A in school), they will be terminated.
  6. Tips. Tips are not required, but they are greatly appreciated. AFTER you do your rating, you will have the option to leave your driver a tip. There was a time when Uber actually advertised that the tip was included in the fare, but that was 7-8 years ago when driver pay rates were double or triple what they are today. Orlando drivers have the lowest pay rates in the US -- even less than the IRS says it costs to operate your car for business purposes! So, if you tip your pizza delivery dude, please tip your Uber driver!
  7. Paying for the ride. Both Uber and Lyft are cashless systems, although you can tip in cash if you prefer. If you choose to leave a tip in the app, that will also be billed to your credit card.
I'm sure Rob or Joel, or both, will add local info very soon regarding your airport/MK questions. Welcome aboard, and have a great trip!

Wow! You rock!! I'm glad I asked though because it seems a bit more intricate than I thought. Very glad to have these tips. Much appreciated!!!

OK - I thought of it. Sea World?

Spot on!

At MCO, Uber & Lyft pick up at the Arrivals level, also known as Level 2. It's the same level as most baggage claims. This is different from taxis and most other ground transportation, which pick up at Level 1. The doors to the roadway are numbered. When you request a ride, I think the app will ask you which door you're at. If it doesn't, text the door number to your driver. Drivers have to wait in a remote parking lot until they're assigned a request, so expect your driver to arrive in 5-10 minutes.

Pickup and dropoff at Sea World is in the lot where buses and taxis pick up. It's all the way to the right after you exit the park, but I'm not sure exactly where in that lot. I would wait until you get to the pickup location before requesting the ride, so that the driver's app will show your correct location.

There are a couple of hotels that are an easy walk to Sea World's gate, so check with the front desk. I think some of the nearby hotels also offer free shuttles, which might be convenient in the morning.

Uber and Lyft can not pick up or drop off right at MK. You can either go to TTC and take the Monorail or Ferryboat (this is the official dropoff spot), or you can go to CR and walk to MK. If there are long lines for the Monorail & Ferryboat when you leave the park, it will probably be faster to walk to CR and request a ride there.

Thanks for pointing out the Level for arrivals at MCO! I probably would have been on auto pilot to Level 1. I think I'll stick to CR for MK and the hotel for SW. Sounds a touch simpler.

If you've never used Uber before then ask someone for their referral code; it will get both of you a discount. If someone else in your party can also open an account then you can give them your referral code and get another discount each.

One thing that I found difficult in Florida compared with all the other cities where I've used Uber was the lack of front number plates; it made it very hard to spot your Uber and we once even had one zoom right past us (although that might have been because of the trolley of groceries with us!).

If you've never used Uber before then ask someone for their referral code; it will get both of you a discount. If someone else in your party can also open an account then you can give them your referral code and get another discount each.
The incentives vary from time to time and from market to market, but a typical new-user benefit is $20 in discounts, used a maximum of $5 at a time. $20 may not seem like a lot, but if you have 3-4 adults in your party and each signs up, those discounts add up in a hurry. If you sign up for both services (Uber and Lyft), you've doubled your discounts.

One thing that I found difficult in Florida compared with all the other cities where I've used Uber was the lack of front number plates; it made it very hard to spot your Uber and we once even had one zoom right past us (although that might have been because of the trolley of groceries with us!).
It's true we do not have front plates in Florida, but I've never had a problem with it. Drivers want to find our passengers, and it's seldom a problem.

A much bigger problem is the rider not being where the GPS thinks they are -- and honestly, that is almost always the rider's fault. They either dropped the pin in the wrong location (I've seen them almost 2 MILES off!), or the rider moved after ordering the ride.

Uber made an improvement in the latest rider app update which allows the rider to double-check and correct their location while the driver is en route for the pickup.

Any time you use "from my current location" instead of manually entering the address, it's a good idea to double-check your pin position and make whatever correction is necessary. It's very easy, and you'll save yourself time and cancellation fees.

Okay, I'm starting to develop a little twitch about the whole location/pin drop thing. I do have the app set to use my current location, I won't order a ride until I am in position and I WILL NOT MOVE once the ride is ordered. Should that suffice?

Okay, I'm starting to develop a little twitch about the whole location/pin drop thing. I do have the app set to use my current location, I won't order a ride until I am in position and I WILL NOT MOVE once the ride is ordered. Should that suffice?
Should be fine. Both you and the driver will have the ability to call/txt each other for any needed clarifications. I had a rider trying to be helpful on Saturday. He ordered his ride from his townhouse and then walked 100 yards or so to the gate to make pickup easier. When I drove right past him, he called me and told me where he really was.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter