Uber vs. Lyft

Both companies have a booking fee on every ride, but Uber tends to be more transparent with their ride detail than Lyft.

Generally speaking the level of detail should not matter, because the fare you pay should be what you were quoted most of the time. The only exception would be if there were major traffic drama that caused re-routing or the driver got lost. But even getting lost shouldn't cause much of a difference.
Oh, it's included in the quote before the ride. I paid what it showed except for the one driver that got turned around or missed a turn going from GF to HS. We ended up leaving property. Uber gave me $4 back for the detour

Driver pay varies widely from market to market and Orlando has traditionally been one of the very lowest pay markets in the US.

In my market (Miami) the pay is identical except for two situations. Lyft pays the same for regular rides and Lyft Shared (which the Orlando market does not have), which means they pay more for a Shared ride than Uber pays for Pool. Doesn't matter to me, because I don't accept either Pool or Shared ride requests.

However, Lyft has recently drastically reduced the pay for drivers who rent cars through Lyft. It's a huge cut; Lyft now pays them just a little more than half what Uber pays. But those drivers are so desperate they have no choice because a lot of them don't qualify for Uber. That cut was also made in the Orlando market and has attracted a LOT of driver social media hate toward Lyft.

Personally, I find Lyft extremely annoying to work with as a driver, so I only turn their app on if business is dead slow, and even then I select XL and Lux only.
I drive for both Lyft and Uber, primarily in the WDW area. In my experience, there is minimal difference in driver pay between the two. I also find the Lyft driver app easier to use and more user friendly than the Uber driver app. YMMV

Also, it seems 90% of the drivers in the area drive for both services.

Uber and Lyft have really been a huge game changer for us in getting around WDW. We used to rent a car just because we hate the buses. But with how relatively cheap it is to get to/from anywhere on property I don't think I'll even rent a car again (except when we take the fam and need a minivan). We tend to make sure we aren't trying to grab one right after fireworks or other times when fares might be higher. Worst case scenario we always have Disney transportation as a backup.

There is usually two of us....one opens Uber and one opens Lyft. Cheapest option wins. We haven't really noticed a difference in service between the two. But as others have pointed out, a large percentage drive for both.

I drive for both Lyft and Uber, primarily in the WDW area. In my experience, there is minimal difference in driver pay between the two. I also find the Lyft driver app easier to use and more user friendly than the Uber driver app. YMMV

Also, it seems 90% of the drivers in the area drive for both services.
Glad to see you posting. I drive in Miami, so I can help with some things but I don't have much knowledge of the Orlando market.

Uber and Lyft have really been a huge game changer for us in getting around WDW. We used to rent a car just because we hate the buses. But with how relatively cheap it is to get to/from anywhere on property I don't think I'll even rent a car again (except when we take the fam and need a minivan). We tend to make sure we aren't trying to grab one right after fireworks or other times when fares might be higher. Worst case scenario we always have Disney transportation as a backup.

There is usually two of us....one opens Uber and one opens Lyft. Cheapest option wins. We haven't really noticed a difference in service between the two. But as others have pointed out, a large percentage drive for both.
Wow. No loyalty to either company! I love it; that's what I always recommend -- check both fares before ordering.

Will be needing transportation from a Disney resort to the cruise terminal next year and have not yet to decided with who to use to get there. I really don't want to use Disneys transport for it is much more expensive than Uber or Lyft or other private transportation. Right now we are just planning for a party of five so I would need a UberXL if we go with Uber. I am thinking it would be best to book that ride ahead of time and not just wait till we are leaving our hotel room, right? And then we may go with another source of transportation such as a shuttle or sorts.

It does you no good to book ahead of time. That isn’t a feature that works well
Ride share is not a great choice for such a long distance. The driver would either need to be heading that way or be good with a one way trip since it’s not likely they could pick up a fare going back

Will be needing transportation from a Disney resort to the cruise terminal next year and have not yet to decided with who to use to get there. I really don't want to use Disneys transport for it is much more expensive than Uber or Lyft or other private transportation. Right now we are just planning for a party of five so I would need a UberXL if we go with Uber. I am thinking it would be best to book that ride ahead of time and not just wait till we are leaving our hotel room, right? And then we may go with another source of transportation such as a shuttle or sorts.
Keep in mind the luggage issue too with uber/lyft. A lot of drivers aren't necessarily prepared to deal with a lot of luggage and there might not be room in their car. Especially if you have a party size close to the limit of the car. I would go with a shuttle personally.

Keep in mind the luggage issue too with uber/lyft. A lot of drivers aren't necessarily prepared to deal with a lot of luggage and there might not be room in their car. Especially if you have a party size close to the limit of the car. I would go with a shuttle personally.
Good point. I never use X when we have even 1 bag

There have been recommendations here on DIS for Tony Hinds Transportation. no website, but he has email and a cell phone number. He has 10-passenger vans. I haven't gotten a quote yet from him because I don't know how many people in our party will be in the private transportation (there are 12 of us cruising, but 8 of us coming from the resort but different resorts).

Good point. I never use X when we have even 1 bag
Ok, so Uber and Lyft are out then. Thanks for the info. Sooooo helpful. I am now thinking that we may need to use Disney transport to get to the port or back track and just stay at the port instead. I will figure it out, lol.

5 people with cruise luggage might be a big load for an Uber XL, although I've done it several times. You might need an XL and an X.

I would look at the alternative of one-way car/minivan rentals. That might work out less expensive than any other option.

The Disney shuttle would probably be the least hassle despite the cost.

5 people with cruise luggage might be a big load for an Uber XL, although I've done it several times. You might need an XL and an X.

I would look at the alternative of one-way car/minivan rentals. That might work out less expensive than any other option.

The Disney shuttle would probably be the least hassle despite the cost.
Do you tip the Disney shuttle drivers for DCL or ME?

Do most people find Uber or Lyft worth the price over Disney buses?
Most? Likely no. Not most. Most like the buses just fine.
Time is worth a lot at Disney.
Uber/Lyft is a time saver, sometimes a huge one.
Especially in the morning when it means more time sleeping.
Or if you are running late for something, FP, ADR, and the unknown of using a buses is sort of out of the question.
But if you have all then time in the world and don't care if it takes 10 min or 90 min to get somewhere, then buses are perfect fine.

Uber has a history of terrible corporate ethics, so I have never used them anywhere.

At home I hate how both services have flooded neighborhood streets with for-hire vehicles, so I guess I'm not a huge fan of either company.

Uber has a history of terrible corporate ethics, so I have never used them anywhere.
That's VERY old news, and all of the people involved in that foolishness have been gone for two years of more. And FWIW, Lyft has had some of the same problems.
At home I hate how both services have flooded neighborhood streets with for-hire vehicles, so I guess I'm not a huge fan of either company.
Saturation is a fact of life, and the main thing that makes pickups quick and keeps fares down.

I live in the suburbs, and if I call a taxi, I will wait an hour or more -- IF they show up at all.

With Uber, I will wait 2-4 minutes, the fare will be 1/3-1/4 of the taxi fare, and the vehicle will be clean. To me, those are good tradeoffs.

Are you aware that rideshare drivers choose when they work? So that saturation will depend not on corporate orders, but on driver choice?

Are you aware that rideshare drivers choose when they work? So that saturation will depend not on corporate orders, but on driver choice?
Right -- when and where we drive, what platforms we use, and which rides we accept...or don't accept. If rg35's neighborhood is flooded with drivers, it's because they expect demand to be high there at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!