Undecided about which onsite hotel....

Dagny

DIS Veteran
We are planning on going to DL for the first time (woo hoo) as my DD will be playing in a soccer tournament in San Diego over Thanksgiving.... We will be arriving the Monday before and staying through Turkey Day :)

I keep going back and forth on which resort to stay at.

Kids like the pool at the Disneyland Hotel - I have told them that it will be too cold to swim in November and they keep reminding me that the pools are heated :)

I like the Grand Californian for its location

DH doesn't care, LOL

Since we only have short time there, I really want to maximize on the "magic" which is why I am leaning towards the Grand Californian, but my brain keeps telling me to go with the less expensive option. ARGGGH, I wish I could decide!!!

I would appreciate everyone's likes, dislikes, etc. about each resort. As a complete DL Novice, I am grateful for any insight....

We just got back from the Grand Californian. It is the first and only hotel we have stayed at on the Disneyland property. I agree that its location can't be beat!!! However, the rooms are very blah and really lack in any Disneyness. We were quite disappointed with them!

I'm with you; I LOVE the GCH for its location (and it's style). Don't count on it being too cold to swim; my DS has gone swimming at DL in mid Dec. The pool at GCH is nice and has a slide for the kids too, but I can understand them preferring the Neverland Pool. But, I would think they would also like the shorter walks and being able to dry off after riding Grizzly River Run. Both will be lovely for the holidays, so you can't lose.

Sounds like you are planning on staying 4 nights. Is the 4th night free deal available at both resorts for the nights of your stay? (I've found this may have limited availability). The availability of the hotels might drive your decision.

Dagny ... I ended up booking one night at DL and one night at GCH. I figure I can scout it out on this trip for our family trek.

CalGal: Actually we are only spending three nights... I was trying to swing 4, but my DD is only off Wed, Thur and Fri that week. She already has to miss school on Monday because we can't find a flight back on Sunday night that is late enough (you always have to assume that your soccer team will advance to the finals, ha ha). Since she is in high school, missing two days is pushing it already. I am amazed at the amount of homework this kid has!!!!

Anyway, I would love any more input. I guess right now, I am leaning towards the DLH...the difference in price between DLH and the GC would pay for our park passes.... of course, I really feel the need for a balcony and it doen't look like any of the rooms at the DLH have one :( Also, it looks like PPH has a private entrance into DCA as well????? Even though I have a DLR map, I haven't quite figured out the entire configuration yet....

The Grand Californian is a beautiful hotel with very nice rooms. The rooms are a hair small and while decorated ( in a Frank Lloyd Wright style) i they don't have any Disney references in them except for one on the shower curtain in the bathroom. The public areas of the hotel are beautiful.
The Disneyland Hotel is three older towers buiilt in the 60's and 70's but the rooms are (in general) very large and decorated very classy but with loads of Disney references in them from the border paper that glowws in the dart, to the bedspreads and the sconces in the bathroom. The hotel is a bit farther away than the Grand Californian but it is still only a 10 minute or so, walk to the front gates of the parks.

Hey, Dagny... If budget is any consideration, go with the Disneyland Hotel. However, if you can swing it, the Grand Californian is really beautiful, and has a wonderful lobby for everyone.

The Disneyland Hotel has a ledge with patio windows, so you can step out on your ledge. The Grand Californian has a full balcony with a table & 2 chairs. If you plan on spending some time in your room, you might enjoy the balcony, however, if you're going to spend most of your time in the parks, then it really doesn't matter.

The PPH does not have an exclusive entrance anymore. They closed that down at the beginning of this year.

I have a couple of links at the top that you can check out - one is hotels - you can maybe get an idea of what the two hotels have and compare. The other link is for info on Disneyland, etc., and there are also maps and aerials to try & help put things in perspective.

My family goes to Dis all the time and we usually go during turkey day also. We tend to stay at the Grand Cal during the holidays, but I only do this because my family pays for it. The 365. a night rate is outrageous and that is the AAA rate. We are leaving tomorrow and staying at the Dis hotel. The pool is much better and is closer to the monorail if you plan on using it. Do make sure that you go over and check out the holiday decs. at the GC because they are beautiful. Good luck with your choice.

Tough choices, especially since you have children who will be using the pool.

I'm thinking that because you'll be there over Thanksgiving that Christmas decorations will be up, and that GC will be just beautiful! I have to make the disclaimer that I'm partial to GC because it is similar to WL at WDW which is my favorite resort, and I still remember seeing the tree fill up the atrium at WL and can't help but think GC will look just as beautiful.

However, either resort would be great, and I agree that if cost is a factor, DLH is the way to go, and the rooms are bigger too (although you could get a bunk bed at GC).

Good luck!!

Ok, Ill throw in my .02. ;) We just got back from our first DL visit and we stayed at the DL Hotel.

I loved the room with all the Disney touches. As for a balcony, as mentioned above there are sliding glass doors with a little ledge. A couple times we either had breakfast or snacks in the room and I would move the chair right over to the doors and it was the next best thing to a balcony. We had a great view too!

The pool was great (see my first picture post below for a picture of the ship). The kids loved it.

I timed our walk to the parks one day and it was 10 minutes. We were also in the Bonita Tower which seems like the furthest away.

Although I had planned to, I never got around to checking out the GC, so I have no opinion there, but we really enjoyed the DL Hotel.

Good luck deciding!

We go to Disneyland about once a month. Sometimes we stay on property and sometimes we do not. We have stayed at all three Disney hotels and would hands down say to stay at the Disneyland hotel. The GC is beautiful but that is not what you tend to go to Disneyland for. I have stayed in much nicer hotels then the Grand Californian for a lot less money. As for wanting the Disney atmoshphere then the Disneyland hotel is the best!!! The rooms are very large! They are significantly larger then the GC. The hiddens Mickey's throughout the room are very cool too. I was excited for the glow in the dark tinkerbell wallpaper but I am always too tired to notice it. The Disneyland hotel may be more of a walk but if you want to go to Disneyland when it first opens then the monorail is your best bet. For a very short walk from the DLH you can be at the monorail and on your way to the middle of the park. It is so much nicer then waiting in the lines at the front entrance of Disneyland. It is great to get to DL when it first open because you can get some much done with no waiting!!! The GC pool was very disappointing to me. The neverland pool is not as exciting in person but definitly better then GC. I hope this helps.The DLH is still in a great location, the rooms are much larger and you can save a ton a money!!! There are so many opportunites to spend money at DL (like character dining, which we LOVE) that the DL hotel would be our choice. We had a reservation for GC this upcoming weekend because the DLH hotel did not have anything. I just called and got a much better rate at the DLH hotel (nothing was available there at the time of booking) so now we are switching to the DLH.

Have a great trip and good luck in your tournament!!!!!

About the distance to the parks from DLH vs. GCH --- if you are in the Sierra or Marina Tower of the DLH, even if you are in the room furthest from the elevator you have a straight shot through DD and to the Monorail Station (maybe 5 minutes from room to Monorail). Some of the rooms in the GCH are really far away from the entrance to DL - you may end up walking down the halls of GCH to the entrance to DD and still have to walk to the entrance of DL or Monorail. Sometimes it took us about 10 minutes to get from our room to the security checkpoints!

Hands down, GCH is the best for DCA - but IMHO, as long as you are in the Sierra or Marina tower, DLH gets me to DL quicker. (all the rooms we have had at GCH have all been away from elevators and waaaaaay down the hallways!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter