Unimpressed with California Grill

We went last Thursday (2/28) with a 6:15 PM ADR, and had a very good experience. We were seated right away next to the window facing the GF and Poly - spectacular view and sunset! Our server was outstanding and we didn't feel rushed at all. Appetizers (California roll, Hearts of Romaine and Braised beef short ribs wonton) were all very good. My husband ordered the pork tenderloin and said it was outstanding. My brother and I ordered the oak fired filet of beef and it was good but not exceptional (Jiko's and Hollywood Brown Derby filets were better IMO). Desserts were good but no 'wow' factor (chocolate cake and S'mores were very good but Apple Crostata was a little dry). We finished just before 8:00 PM and went out to the observation deck to watch the fireworks. We were on the DxDP but not sure I would come back and pay OOP (our bill would have cost us almost $400 including cocktails/wine, tax and tip for the 3 of us).

It's always amazing how different experiences at the same restaurant can be.

But with regard to having to "speak up", I disagree. Especially for a restaurant that bills itself as being exceptional, I do not see it as the patrons duty or obligation to supervise or haggle. Not every table can be primo, of course, and so speak up if you wish to be moved...But speaking for myself, while I love the view, that doesn't do enough to redeem the lackluster service and overwrought food that I have received there. And at $300.00 for two, I'm not inclined to gamble on a second chance.

I do indeed have (relatively) high expectations for service and the food at Disney's signature restaurants; otherwise I would save a lot of money and just eat at Caseys.

We had a similar lack luster experience during our first dinner there in 2017. Our waiter was not very friendly and rushed us through the entire meal. We were in and out in under an hour, and we were on the Deluxe dining plan so we had apps, entrees, and desserts. We were also sat in an area similar to the one you are describing. I plan on giving it another try because the food was actually pretty good.

I’ve done brunch twice and had a much better experience, but I’m not a huge breakfast person (no bacon and eggs for me) so it’s hard for me to pay $80+ for pancakes (even if they are the best pancakes I’ve ever had) :rotfl:

It's always amazing how different experiences at the same restaurant can be.

But with regard to having to "speak up", I disagree. Especially for a restaurant that bills itself as being exceptional, I do not see it as the patrons duty or obligation to supervise or haggle. Not every table can be primo, of course, and so speak up if you wish to be moved...But speaking for myself, while I love the view, that doesn't do enough to redeem the lackluster service and overwrought food that I have received there. And at $300.00 for two, I'm not inclined to gamble on a second chance.

I do indeed have (relatively) high expectations for service and the food at Disney's signature restaurants; otherwise I would save a lot of money and just eat at Caseys.

You summed up my feeling as well. We pay OOP or do TIW and we expect good service for our money. I have refused to tip before and I will talk to the manager before I leave.

We were unimpressed too. We went for dinner in November 2018 and I had been wanting to go there forever, I had always tried to get reservations and couldn't. People really talk it up so I was excited to try it. The food was just OK for us. My husband did not like his meal and it was hard for him to pick something to begin with as the choices are limited and he's a picky "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. They didn't have a lot for the kids either from what I recall; my 3 sort of picked at their dinners. I remember my husband wanted to order a beer and told the server he liked light tasting beer and she suggested Bud Light. Really? I thought that was odd; not that he doesn't like Bud Light but if he wanted Bud Light he would have just ordered one. He was looking for her to suggest something. She was good for the most part but I got the feeling that we weren't her preferred type of guests. If we had asked for a wine suggestion I feel like it would have been a different story. I will say that the restaurant itself is beautiful and the view is amazing. It just wasn't all it was talked up to be for the price as far as I could tell but I might consider trying it again sometime, maybe for brunch as I've heard it's amazing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!