United Airlines Kills a Dog

I can't believe this happened. I bet the mother was feeling overwhelmed with two kids plus everyone watching her and bowed under pressure. I bet if her mind was clearer, she would have sticked to her guns and said no, I refuse to put my dog in the overhead bins. I will put the bag in there if I can hold on to my dog. If that is not an option, the bag stays under the seat or you can put us on the next flight.

Does that bag (carrier) fit under the seat? What should happen if a pet carrier doesn't fit under the seat? You're not allowed to hold it in your lap, right?

How on Earth did the flight attendant think that the overhead bin was an appropriate place for a dog? I have never heard of such a thing. I do not believe this is in line with airline policy, and that speaks to a terrible lack of training on the part of United. I know I would have felt that this was extremely odd, but I also get not wanting to argue with a flight attendant and not knowing that it was potentially dangerous. It's just terrible on United's part!

This is awful.

And I know people are going to think that I am heartless, but it is similar to the young woman that "flushed" her emotional support pet.

Come on guys, just don't do it. Think about what is being asked of you.

If I were traveling with my dog on a bus, and the driver told that he was sorry but the dog wasn't allowed in with passengers, the dog would have to run along side of the bus, I wouldn't just hook him up to the rearview and calmly find my seat. I would get off of the bus and figure out what options I had.

(All of that said, I also wonder what actually killed the dog. Heat? Suffocation? Or something else?)

I would not have thought that overhead bins were sealed enough that the dog would suffocate.

How long was the flight? If it was a long flight (ie: over 2 hours), I would think I'd open up the bin to make sure the dog was ok. No, I'm not saying it's the passenger's fault.

I would not have thought that overhead bins were sealed enough that the dog would suffocate.

How long was the flight? If it was a long flight (ie: over 2 hours), I would think I'd open up the bin to make sure the dog was ok. No, I'm not saying it's the passenger's fault.

Houston to NY so maybe 3 hours?

This is awful.

And I know people are going to think that I am heartless, but it is similar to the young woman that "flushed" her emotional support pet.

If I were traveling with my dog on a bus, and the driver told that he was sorry but the dog wasn't allowed in with passengers, the dog would have to run along side of the bus, I wouldn't just hook him up to the rearview and calmly find my seat. I would get off of the bus and figure out what options I had.

(All of that said, I also wonder what actually killed the dog. Heat? Suffocation? Or something else?)
No, it's not the same at all. This woman presumably had no idea her dog would die from being put in the overhead bin. She didn't opt to kill her dog. Honestly, until reading this story I would've assumed the biggest issue with putting an animal overhead would be the risk of it getting injured from being jostled around. I didn't know those bins were airtight. Heck, even you aren't sure what's so dangerous about the overhead bin that would've killed the dog. Temperature, lack of ventilation, other?

I can't blame the passenger at all on this one.

The person who reported this said they could hear the dog crying, until it didn't. I know people are conditioned to "not get involved," but I can't understand how the people in the seats in the immediate proximity would not have said something either. At least get another FA involved. DH said he would have made a scene, even if it wasn't his dog, and if that got him kicked off the flight, so be it.

The person who reported this said they could hear the dog crying, until it didn't. I know people are conditioned to "not get involved," but I can't understand how the people in the seats in the immediate proximity would not have said something either. At least get another FA involved. DH said he would have made a scene, even if it wasn't his dog, and if that got him kicked off the flight, so be it.
Most of the time when a dog stops crying it's because he's finally settled down, not because he's suffocated and died. And if you think the anxious, barking dog has finally settled down, I can see why one might be less inclined to open the bin and check on him just to get him riled up again. I don't think anyone in this situation was being willfully negligent to an animal in a dangerous situation, because they didn't realize it was a dangerous situation. What they're guilty of is trusting the flight attendant to know her job and follow proper protocol.

No, it's not the same at all. This woman presumably had no idea her dog would die from being put in the overhead bin. She didn't opt to kill her dog. Honestly, until reading this story I would've assumed the biggest issue with putting an animal overhead would be the risk of it getting injured from being jostled around. I didn't know those bins were airtight. Heck, even you aren't sure what's so dangerous about the overhead bin that would've killed the dog. Temperature, lack of ventilation, other?

I can't blame the passenger at all on this one.
Sorry, but when you have a pet, you are responsible for it.

If I didn't know about the safety of something, I would ask. I would investigate. And I certainly wouldn't shove my dog into the overhead compartment unless I was sure that it was safe.

Now, the flight attendant should have known better. And I am sure that the airline will take responsibility. But if I were the family, I would always know that my dog died because I put him in the overhead compartment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter