United Airlines Kills a Dog

I think the person that ALLOWED her dog to be put in an overhead bin should be brought up on charges and never ever be permitted to own a animal again! The flight attendant was a idiot but ultimately it was the idiot woman that allowed her dog to be put up there!

It doesn’t makes it right but turning the plane around in order to remove the dog is not easy. And one delayed flight causes echoes throughout the entire aviation system. The right thing to do was to remove the dog from the cabin but I can understand the pressure to do something to keep the flight on schedule. It is a sad situation but the dog should never have been permitted to get on the plane. I know this is not popular with some pet owners but the airlines first responsibility is to insure safety of the humans flying with them. The family admitted the dog was blocking the “pathway”. That endangered everyone on board. It had to be moved.
Guess what?? Even if I had to go to jail in the end, they would have turned that plane around taxied or not! It wasn’t just a dog, but a baby animal. I agree their job is to ensure passenger safety, but they shouldn’t have taxied before checking all that. It would have been their negligence that would have been responsible for the delay in later flights. Too bad! It’s not about being a “pet owner”. That makes it sound like it’s only an isolated group of ppl who care about this. It should be disturbing to anyone to let any living thing suffocate to death in the interest $$$ & time.

The point is leave your animals at home. It relieves stress on the animal, other passengers, and the flight crew. An animal dying becomes a moot point when the animal remains alive at home where it belongs. I wonder if the family understood the breathing limitations of the breed or if they got it because it was just a cute pup.
I agree mostly & have always done the same. But, ppl have already posted other reasons that they have previously had to travel with their pets & really didn’t have a choice. It should never been a death sentence esp since it’s a paid service with the airlines.

Not a direct response to the article, but my sister was traveling with her border collie years ago. She had to be kenneled and was in the belly of the plane with the luggage. I am not sure if there is a climate controlled area for pets down there but the impression i got was that there is not. She flew from FL to IL. When she got here, her boyfriend was there to pick them up. This was pre-9/11 so he got to come to the gate. When she got off, she waited and waited and waited but no dog. She finally asked and they said that the dog was not in the plane. They had checked and no kennel. She said that was impossible, she had physically SEEN them load the kennel into the plane from the window outside the gate, to go check again. The said they did and still no dog. My sister is beside herself at this point. Direct flight, where could she possibly have gone??

Thankfully, her boyfriend was a pilot with a different airline and after he called various people and pulled strings, he got them to let him onto the plane. He searched the entire thing and found her in the back corner, behind stuff that stays with the plane from trip to trip. They absolutely would've left her there and flown away, and God knows when they would've finally found her. That plane was scheduled to go next to NY, so it would've been a mess to ever find her and certainly not before she dehydrated.Also, imagine how much she must've banged around in there to end up behind those things, she had to have been absolutely terrified! They are so irresponsible with pets on airlines, its unbelievable!!!

Not a direct response to the article, but my sister was traveling with her border collie years ago. She had to be kenneled and was in the belly of the plane with the luggage. I am not sure if there is a climate controlled area for pets down there but the impression i got was that there is not. She flew from FL to IL. When she got here, her boyfriend was there to pick them up. This was pre-9/11 so he got to come to the gate. When she got off, she waited and waited and waited but no dog. She finally asked and they said that the dog was not in the plane. They had checked and no kennel. She said that was impossible, she had physically SEEN them load the kennel into the plane from the window outside the gate, to go check again. The said they did and still no dog. My sister is beside herself at this point. Direct flight, where could she possibly have gone??

Thankfully, her boyfriend was a pilot with a different airline and after he called various people and pulled strings, he got them to let him onto the plane. He searched the entire thing and found her in the back corner, behind stuff that stays with the plane from trip to trip. They absolutely would've left her there and flown away, and God knows when they would've finally found her. That plane was scheduled to go next to NY, so it would've been a mess to ever find her and certainly not before she dehydrated.Also, imagine how much she must've banged around in there to end up behind those things, she had to have been absolutely terrified! They are so irresponsible with pets on airlines, its unbelievable!!!
Wow! That’s unreal! That’s why I have never flown with my big dog. I think about how they loose luggage all the time. I get he can’t be on the plane, but like I said in a pp, he is NOT cargo. I know some ppl have had posted that they had no choice. I just hope I’m never in that situation!

Wow! That’s unreal! That’s why I have never flown with my big dog. I think about how they loose luggage all the time. I get he can’t be on the plane, but like I said in a pp, he is NOT cargo. I know some ppl have had posted that they had no choice. I just hope I’m never in that situation!

Yeah, i dont think she ever flew with the dog again either. It was so scary because there was just NOWHERE that she could've gone, so what do you mean shes not there?!? Im shocked that it hasn't caused more tragedies and outcry because they absolutely treat pets like luggage. Disgusting.

I was very wary about transporting our 50 lb. dog from Delaware to California by plane 20 years ago. ExH was already living there for several months for work, and DDs and I moved when school let out for the summer. Fortunately my in-laws volunteer to drive my car and our dog while we flew. It took them about 10 days.

I realize that's an solution few would have. Most times there is no choice except to ship pets by plane.

So United isn't going to discipline the FA. They claim the FA didn't hear the passenger say that there was a dog in the carrier despite the passengers in the next row hearing her just fine. So I'm curious what United means when they say "We accept full responsibility?" What does full responsibility entail if the FA isn't going to be disciplined?
There is a person from my area that was on the flight. The news interviewed her and this is what was said: "Another passenger on the plane said a flight attendant told the owner to stow the animal, in its carrier, in the overhead bin.

[Area person's name] was sitting directly behind the owner of that 10-month-old French Bulldog named Kokito.

[Area person's name] says she’s haunted by the ordeal.

Kokito died on a flight from Houston to New York’s La Guardia airport Monday night.

[Area person's name] says at first, the owner objected when the flight attendant told her to put the pet carrier in the overhead compartment, But, eventually, she complied."

Somebody is lying-either the passengers or the FA. Don't want to speculate too much but it sure sounds like backpeddling on United's side.

It doesn’t makes it right but turning the plane around in order to remove the dog is not easy. And one delayed flight causes echoes throughout the entire aviation system. The right thing to do was to remove the dog from the cabin but I can understand the pressure to do something to keep the flight on schedule. It is a sad situation but the dog should never have been permitted to get on the plane. I know this is not popular with some pet owners but the airlines first responsibility is to insure safety of the humans flying with them. The family admitted the dog was blocking the “pathway”. That endangered everyone on board. It had to be moved.
I get pressure to just allow things to happen because its easier. I bet all of our jobs have something like this.

However a quote from one person high in the organization that is repeated here alot partially to help us remember that there are consequences to the decisions we make is "The right answer is ALWAYS the right answer". Meaning that we always have to make sure we are doing the right thing when it matters.

I don't care how much of a hassle it is to delay a plane, if someone messed up and let the dog on board and the FA messed up and didn't notice until the plane was taxing (which can happen because those people are human and things happen) then the right answer isn't to break policy becasue the screw up already happened. The right answer is to return to the gate and do things correctly.

For this to have happened there is alot of blame to share:
1) Gate agents that allowed too large luggage in (possibily understandable did they know the bag was a dog and couldn't go in the overhead)
2) Flight attendants that didn't notice the problem until the plane pushed back (I have seen flight attendents moving around luggage and making things have to move MANY times before pushing back they are supposed to check then)
3) Flight attendant that suggested something against policy to not delay
4) Person that didn't question authority and say no (because although I understand the pressure to do this too... see above, somethings you have to question authority, although I do wonder if the woman didn't speak english what culture she is from as many cultures don't share my opinion that sometimes you question authority)

Now if this was a case where some things got destroyed and some money was lost I would say its a great oppuntunity for alot of people to learn the lessons above. However the cost of a life, even that of an animal is a VERY high price to pay for that lesson, much more then the price of a delayed plane.

So United isn't going to discipline the FA. They claim the FA didn't hear the passenger say that there was a dog in the carrier despite the passengers in the next row hearing her just fine. So I'm curious what United means when they say "We accept full responsibility?" What does full responsibility entail if the FA isn't going to be disciplined?
An agency not disciplining an individual doesn't always mean not taking responsibility.

Example my company had a problem once where some computers were caused to be unfit for installation due to an action someone did trying to get something to just work and make schedule. No loss of life in this case but some expensive equipment was lost and schedule was pushed due to having to get new equipment and do all the installation of software again.

My company took full responsibility for this because the employee was ours. The person wasn't fired or anything. However what did happen were things like
1) A full investigation of why this happened
2) Retraining on how things should have happened
3) policy changes to ensure that the people to support what should have happened were there (What should have been done involved getting support from an office that was closed, now someone has to be on call from that group at all times if a field installation is happening)
4) my company paid for all the new equipment

Now in a case of loss of life how to properly take responsibility is more complicated, but the same way money isn't going to bring the puppy back, neither is firing an employee. If united changes training and policies to make it easier to spot this problem and to make sure that FA feel they are not going to be disciplined for making the choice to go back to the gate if needed then I would call that taking responsibility.

I guess I have a different understand of "what taking full responsibility" means. Yes it means correction and re-training so that it doesn't happen in the future. That's only half the equation.

I guess I have a different understand of "what taking full responsibility" means. Yes it means correction and re-training so that it doesn't happen in the future. That's only half the equation.
That may be the case because to be honest if all united did was fire the FA that wouldn't be taking full responsibility to me at all. That would be putting all the responsibility on the FA and none on their business.

That may be the case because to be honest if all united did was fire the FA that wouldn't be taking full responsibility to me at all. That would be putting all the responsibility on the FA and none on their business.

I agree that ONLY firing the FA would be simply passing the buck and not fixing the problem. However, the FA is guilty of gross negligence in her job duties and as such, I'm shocked that she wasn't immediately terminated for cause. I guess the unions must have really put their foot on United's throat.

I would agree with that. If a pet doesn't fit under the seat my understanding is that it can't fly in the cabin.

If that is the case then when this was noticed they should have had to leave. Someone else asked if they should have delayed the flight to do so and yes if the gate agents messed up and let them board and the FA messed up and didn't realize until they started Taxing then yes they should have gone back and delayed the flight. As much as a delayed flight is annoying that would have been the proper answer because all other solutions as you stated above were a risk to either the dog or passengers due to blocking aisles.

I am also curious if the owner paid the $125 charge that United has on it's website for having a pet on board. Tragic all around, but did the owner make the agent aware that she had a pet in her case? It seems that if she did then she would have been charged the fee & the carrier would have been measured and the pet would not have been allowed on the flight if the case was too large.

You bet your butt that at least some people were uncomfortable on that flight. I do know that the FAA says on their website:
  • You must follow flight attendant instructions regarding the proper stowage of your pet container.
Would I allow my pet to go in the overhead bin-hells no way. The passengers may not know the exact FAA's rules but I'm guessing that in reality it's the "listen to authority" issue as well as the social restraint of not interferring with FA's instructions. Enough stories have circulated around about passengers booted off flights, physically handled on flights, etc. Perhaps if fear of reprecusions for a reasonable dialogue with the FAs regarding the improper (and I'm sure people thought wth at that the suggestion) requirement to put the dog in the overhead bin there might have been a different outcome. IDK.

Yup. There have been so many stories lately of people being kicked off flights (or dragged off flights) for not following FA rules, and there are plenty of people on hear who think that's an OK thing to do. You can bet that if the woman had refused to put the dog up, and then the news had been of the woman and dog (and kids) being dragged off the plane, plenty here would blame the woman "because you're always supposed to do what the flight attendants say"

Not speaking English I'm sure is a big part of the horrible issue with this poor puppy. Maybe if she understood the language this wouldn't have happened. This is why I always say if you want to live in this country. Learn the language

Have you never traveled to a country where you don't speak the language? If not, you definitely should. It's a wonderful and growing experience.

United is making noises about putting brightly colored stickers on pet carriers on their flights so their crew members can tell there's an animal in the carrier. Um, if the carrier has a mesh end with a cute face peering out at you, isn't it obvious it's a pet carrier? Especially when said animal starts barking. I call B.S. on the flight attendant saying she didn't know there was an animal in the bag.

So I heard on the news that the FA did not know a dog was in the bag. Was this from the language barrier or is she lying?

Yup. There have been so many stories lately of people being kicked off flights (or dragged off flights) for not following FA rules, and there are plenty of people on hear who think that's an OK thing to do. You can bet that if the woman had refused to put the dog up, and then the news had been of the woman and dog (and kids) being dragged off the plane, plenty here would blame the woman "because you're always supposed to do what the flight attendants say"

Why do people always have to be dragged off? Why couldn't she leave simply because the FA said the dog can't fly? Just grab her dog and kids and walk off.

And I'm not blaming her at all. I blame the FA almost entirely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter