United Basic Economy question - can you upgrade later?

Farro

Argh.
I have a voucher I will have to use soon.

When my dates for next year become available for purchase soon, I was thinking of booking us the basic economy because my voucher will cover the cost. Since I have to buy so early due to voucher expiring, prices will surely go down as time goes on (normally anyways).

So if I see a good price for regular economy, would I be able to just upgrade ticket and pay difference or would I have to cancel completely and rebook?

I’d ask United rather than rely on message board advice even well meaning advice. Lately I have found contacting places via Twitter is great way to get quick response. I created very generic account as I don’t use it except for that (just my initials). Last week in 20 minutes I changed a flight free of charge for my son (with same initials thankfully) after AA cancelled his flight. His was Basic Economy also- then purchased seats for a small fee rather than wait for assignments.

I’d ask United rather than rely on message board advice even well meaning advice. Lately I have found contacting places via Twitter is great way to get quick response. I created very generic account as I don’t use it except for that (just my initials). Last week in 20 minutes I changed a flight free of charge for my son (with same initials thankfully) after AA cancelled his flight. His was Basic Economy also- then purchased seats for a small fee rather than wait for assignments.

I will try reaching out on Twitter, thanks!

I wonder if you can purchase seats for a fee with United too. That's the only part that bothers me about economy, I'd rather not sit alone if I don't have to. I don't mind checking luggage.
:)

Looking at the site it does state that you "may" be able to purchase a seat assignment.

I have a voucher I will have to use soon.

When my dates for next year become available for purchase soon, I was thinking of booking us the basic economy because my voucher will cover the cost. Since I have to buy so early due to voucher expiring, prices will surely go down as time goes on (normally anyways).

So if I see a good price for regular economy, would I be able to just upgrade ticket and pay difference or would I have to cancel completely and rebook?
They'll be happy to take your money at any point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter