Universal buys 100 acres of land

Universal has done some great things like potter and theming of Simpsons. However then they revert back to average or below average attractions like Jimmy Fallon and what we are expecting from F&F. I guess the next hope for something major is Nintendo.

From what I know, Universal Creative is aware of the "too many screens" problem. The issue with the last few rides to open---Kong, Fallon and soon to be FF--were too far along in development already. I would suspect the 2019 attractions will be the better reflection of how the park responds to the screens complaints.

Then again, Kong and Fallon were different kinds of screen-based attractions then the ones immediately preceding it. Yet I don't hear Disney fans criticizing WDW rides for using screens (Star Tours, Soarin', Flight of Passage, Toy Story Midway Mania, Mission Space, etc.) Are THOSE rides somehow different, while still utilizing screens, while all of Universal's are the same, even when having different ride systems? Then you're not being honest about the root of your criticism.

From what I know, Universal Creative is aware of the "too many screens" problem. The issue with the last few rides to open---Kong, Fallon and soon to be FF--were too far along in development already. I would suspect the 2019 attractions will be the better reflection of how the park responds to the screens complaints.

Then again, Kong and Fallon were different kinds of screen-based attractions then the ones immediately preceding it. Yet I don't hear Disney fans criticizing WDW rides for using screens (Star Tours, Soarin', Flight of Passage, Toy Story Midway Mania, Mission Space, etc.) Are THOSE rides somehow different, while still utilizing screens, while all of Universal's are the same, even when having different ride systems? Then you're not being honest about the root of your criticism.
I’ve never been to universal but I do follow them closely as well as Disney of course. They have done well with some things like potter which I stated earlier.

Star tours was built in the 80s before the screen craze so I think that’s unfair to put in the comparison.

I think it’s how each company uses screens really. Kong and F&F from the looks of it you sit in a vehicle and ride along with numerous screens on either side. Something like Toy Story Mania I would compare to Men in Black in that it’s a game. Flight of Passage is unique in the ride vehicle. The usage of screens is no different than Fallon or Soarin. I don’t consider Mission: Space a screen based attraction. That ride is a flight simulator using g forces on a centrifuge. The small screen just helps with the story.

Right here is a prime example. Universal is "aware of the problem and working on it" and surely better things to come and then list the litany of DIsney "screen offences".

Right here is a prime example. Universal is "aware of the problem and working on it" and surely better things to come and then list the litany of DIsney "screen offences".

My point is they aren't offenses. Each company uses screens in its attractions. For the Disney-centric folks, they seem to use that criticism of Universal instinctively without realizing how many WDW attractions use screens.

I’ve never been to universal but I do follow them closely as well as Disney of course. They have done well with some things like potter which I stated earlier.

I know you're the moderator and all, but if you've never been to Universal, you don't really have any basis for judging Fallon or any other Universal ride, good or bad.

I definitely saw some complaints or at least some concerns that Disney was having too many screens as well - and specifically concern that both Star Wars attractions are at least partly screen based. Though the next new land is Toy Story Land and neither new ride is screen based. But definitely seen some concern from Disney fans or finger pointing from Universal fans about Disney using screens as well

I think it is like anything in life though as one gets defensive about their position and feels "the other side" is attacking them .... so Disney fans are going to feel that Universal fans nitpick about / unfairly go after things at Disney and vice versa

I know you're the moderator and all, but if you've never been to Universal, you don't really have any basis for judging Fallon or any other Universal ride, good or bad.
Doesn’t mean I don’t read reviews, watch videos or look at photos. I stated what I thought and said I’ve never been to universal. Fallon isn’t exactly a block buster attraction. Even diehard universal fans say it’s meh.

My point is they aren't offenses. Each company uses screens in its attractions. For the Disney-centric folks, they seem to use that criticism of Universal instinctively without realizing how many WDW attractions use screens.
I don’t necessarily think that’s the case. Universal seems to use their screens in one way and Disney does in another. Many feel Disney’s screen based attractions are better themed than Universals.

Personally I love the screen based rides.

How would you do a good Star Wars ride without screens and not a roller coaster?

Lot's of people don't ride roller coasters.

Many feel Disney’s screen based attractions are better themed than Universals.

I've never heard anyone say that.

Spider-Man and both HP rides are far better than anything Disney had before FoP.

I haven't ridden FoP yet so I can't comment on that.

Spider-Man and both HP rides are far better than anything Disney had before FoP.

I would agree with the second sentence. I think Potter is really the big outlier for Universal. Spider-Man obviously is also a great attraction.

Again I’ve never been to universal not because I don’t want to but it’s just never happened. I’ve never had a problem with how Disney presents it’s screen based rides. I can see commonalities between things like Kong, And F&F though. Fallon isn’t the same type of ride but also is described as meh by many.

Personally I love the screen based rides.

How would you do a good Star Wars ride without screens and not a roller coaster?

Lot's of people don't ride roller coasters.
That’s a good point. I’m not sure a Star Wars dark ride with just AAs would work well.

I think the complaints on Universals screens seem to be around attractions that you sit in a tram type vehicle like in F&F and it’s just 3D affects. I don’t mind the F&F IP but I think they could do more with the attraction.

I
I would agree with the second sentence. I think Potter is really the big outlier for Universal. Spider-Man obviously is also a great attraction.

Again I’ve never been to universal not because I don’t want to but it’s just never happened. I’ve never had a problem with how Disney presents it’s screen based rides. I can see commonalities between things like Kong, And F&F though. Fallon isn’t the same type of ride but also is described as meh by many.

I'll be riding Kong and Fallon for the first time in 4 weeks. I can't comment of those yet. I haven't watched any videos as I want to go in blind for the first time.

Spider-Man is my family's favorite attraction anywhere.

We also love the Disney attractions. Just trying to give credit where it's due.

I

I'll be riding Kong and Fallon for the first time in 4 weeks. I can't comment of those yet. I haven't watched any videos as I want to go in blind for the first time.

Spider-Man is my family's favorite attraction anywhere.

We also love the Disney attractions. Just trying to give credit where it's due.
Oh I agree. Even never being to universal I give them credit for what they did with Potter. I sometimes forget about Spider-Man though.

That’s a good point. I’m not sure a Star Wars dark ride with just AAs would work well.

That's what I mean. People are going to expect action and state of the art high tech in this new Star Wars land. A boat ride with AA's isn't going to deliver that. A roller coaster will eliminate a large number of people who won't ride them.

Just not sure how you could have it without screens.

I would agree, I’d even go so far to say spidey and Harry are better rides than flight of passage. I enjoy that the Uni rides have movement and also intermingle some physical sets

My issue is the Disney homers being very defensive about any Disney criticism and dismissive of anything Universal has done, often in a tone which makes me think they've never gone to Universal for more than an afternoon. And not to get into some sort of class warfare thing, but I think the Disney fans of greater means---the ones who always use DVC or stay for a week or more at a Deluxe---don't understand how Disney's price hikes and focus on high-priced specialization are a real issue for a large segment of people wanting to visit WDW.

...if I were to write a manifesto...this would be in it.

This is the elephant in the room for the last 5 years +...it's real, it's important for everyone, and it's kinda offensive when people ignore it.

I use dvc, i have passes, I don't blink at the food prices...but I'm not naive nor spoiled enough to not understand that there is a breaking point, they are actually de-valuing the place by charging so much and going aggressive cash grab, and these issues matter to all of us. You just have to be less proud of yourself and under stand the big picture...and all consumer decisions are mixed into the recipe.

Do better.

Last edited:

You're being a duster on this a little...

Disney has the same legitimate criticisms that universal gets for its screen rides...

Disney is trackless, sim, omnimover/boat ride...

That's it...and that will take them until the tron thing and that's a decade after the 2 hour wait kiddie coaster - mine train.

I still appreciate Disney's new rides...but they keep doing enclosed, low G/thrill, computer simulation concepts...occasionally you can get Isaac newton involved too...less stale.

That's what I mean. People are going to expect action and state of the art high tech in this new Star Wars land. A boat ride with AA's isn't going to deliver that. A roller coaster will eliminate a large number of people who won't ride them.

Just not sure how you could have it without screens.

If you're intent on everyone riding, then you're gonna be repeating the same rides over and over again...

You can't do that...parks work better/disperse crowds in a better overall fashion when not everything is a sim or a princess ride...

I hate the universal screen rides. The reason people don’t complain about Disney is because all the screen rides feel different.

In universal it’s the same put on glasses, sit down, and basically ride the same ride 8 times.

Also Disney has tons of rides that don’t use screens. Universal other wise relies more on them

The mummy is the best ride I’ve ever rode. There’s a reason for it. Theming theming and more theming.

I'm with ItalianNYC. How many dark rides (or rides in general) Does Universal have that don't use screens? Or look at the upcoming rides, how many are designed with majority screens? Disney people have stated they are worried about screens. Screens are fine to an extent, but I don't think people want all screen rides. Whether correct or incorrect, Universal has a reputation now of being only screens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter