Universal buys 100 acres of land

I spent several years taking my kids to WDW and basically the last year taking them to Universal. We REALLY like both. Overall, Disney is definitely more of a destination and provides more of an immersive bubble. That is a great thing for many people, but it just isn't as necessary for us, especially as the kids get older. The last year at Universal has been great. We tend to vacation pretty spontaneously, since we are within a relatively short driving distance to Orlando, and Universal makes this so easy. I love the resorts, I love the transportation, I love the restaurants, and I love the parks. It is just so laid back and so much fun.

I do agree Universal rides are generally more screen-based, but I think this may be a trend for all parks. Computer execution speed and screen resolution continue to get more and more amazing, allowing for more and more realistic experiences. If someone can build an awesome ride "theatre" with an awesome story and characters, that is cool with me. It's like IMAX in 4D. Like others, I do think they should at least include some kind of dynamic ride element, like the Potter rides. However, one nice feature of a more purely screen ride is that it can be updated and even changed relatively easily, providing more variety over the years. I like that. I'm looking forward to whatever Transformers will become, and I know it won't take forever. And to be honest, a well done screen ride can do just as much for my experience as some animatronic figure flailing at me. Don't get me wrong, I love the Disney animatronics--POTC is one of my all-time favorites--but I don't consider a ride a dud without them. I love the Dudley Do-Right flume ride at IoA, and it has the most basic theming imaginable!

I'm looking forward to at least one more Universal trip on our APs, then a return to Disney after the current round of construction is complete. And after that, maybe a new Universal gate will be open. Plus I'll sprinkle in a trip or two to SeaWorld for their great coasters. There is just nothing for us to complain about!

I hate the universal screen rides. The reason people don’t complain about Disney is because all the screen rides feel different.

In universal it’s the same put on glasses, sit down, and basically ride the same ride 8 times.

Also Disney has tons of rides that don’t use screens. Universal other wise relies more on them

The mummy is the best ride I’ve ever rode. There’s a reason for it. Theming theming and more theming.

This is emblematic of the Disney defender position criticism which makes my skin crawl.

When Disney uses a similar ride system for two different attractions--like Flight of Passage and Soarin'--it's all "Oh, it's so different."

Universal uses a similar ride system for two different attractions, like Transformers and Spider-Man, the reaction is "Everything's the same! They're not even trying! Disney magic, Disney magic, blah, blah, blah."

This is emblematic of the Disney defender position criticism which makes my skin crawl.

When Disney uses a similar ride system for two different attractions--like Flight of Passage and Soarin'--it's all "Oh, it's so different."

Universal uses a similar ride system for two different attractions, like Transformers and Spider-Man, the reaction is "Everything's the same! They're not even trying! Disney magic, Disney magic, blah, blah, blah."
While soarin and FoP are similar in their theater set up the ride systems are different.

I hate the universal screen rides. The reason people don’t complain about Disney is because all the screen rides feel different.

In universal it’s the same put on glasses, sit down, and basically ride the same ride 8 times.

Also Disney has tons of rides that don’t use screens. Universal other wise relies more on them

The mummy is the best ride I’ve ever rode. There’s a reason for it. Theming theming and more theming.

This isn't accurate.

Spider-Man and Transformers are built from the same design. That's it.

Both HP rides are completely different. The only thing they have in common is there are some screens.

Kong I haven't ridden yet, but it's obviously completely different than the others.
Jimmy Fallon, yes it has screens, but again different.

Are Star Tours and Soarin the same ride because they are screen based? No, not even close to the same experience. It's the same with the Universal rides.

I enjoy both places. I'm not a cheerleader for either, but I call em as I see em.

It's really not. I think you are really hearing what you want to hear at this point. There has been a LOT of talk/fear that Disney could follow the model of screen based rides for everything. But everything coming to Disney is not screen based yet (without knowing some of the other details on things like Star Wars. Again, a worry for many Disney people).

I'll go personally on this, but I don't mind some screen based. Screens have their place to me no question (mainly interactive rides and simulators. Mario kart ride based on screens, I get it). And personally, I'm DYING for Universal to give me a reason to change completely from Disney to Universal (but a whole different argument). But I get a lot more into rides with all the theming in person than rides that are more screens.

But implying that because people don't like all of the screens means they are Disney fanboys that think Disney is great and does everything amazing is just simply wrong. The irony is that many here you are trying to debate about screens and call Disney fanboys are some of the harshest critics of Disney and what they are doing. Many are looking at how Universal is going all in and using that as more fuel to bash on Disney (don't believe me just look earlier in this topic). Back to what was initially discussed, I hope Universal is listening and they are going to limit some of their future projects from screens. There are people still who don't consider Universal trips because of this perception, and I think that is something they do need to combat.

You're being a duster on this a little...

Disney has the same legitimate criticisms that universal gets for its screen rides...

Disney is trackless, sim, omnimover/boat ride...

That's it...and that will take them until the tron thing and that's a decade after the 2 hour wait kiddie coaster - mine train.

I still appreciate Disney's new rides...but they keep doing enclosed, low G/thrill, computer simulation concepts...occasionally you can get Isaac newton involved too...less stale.

Guardians will be high G/ thrill, too!

Guardians will be high G/ thrill, too!

Well...we don't actually have confirmation of that yet...but it's likely. I did forget about that...but that's still a long gap in theme park terms for what is a true "e" type ride.

I do see both sides to this debate...disney is typically given more credit for repetition than universal...

That is a real trend - not surprisingly. Universal does "boring screen rides"...but disney does "immersive experiences"?

Ultimately...they all are the same...looking at something and being jerked around. Some are better executed...but the subconscious still says "hoax"...

...and I have a hard time defending disney...who are doing trackless with an alarming frequency now...if they still operate Star tours...which is a bad 80's idea that needs to go rest with the gipper.

Universal likes to keep plans secret for as long as possible. There is still no word on what is replacing Terminator as far as I know and I was amused by how long they refused to admit to Kong. This is exciting.
100%. I feel like if they have a third park they can realistically challenge Disney with their offerings. I mean look at all the rooms they’re adding. Exciting times for the consumer

100%. I feel like if they have a third park they can realistically challenge Disney with their offerings. I mean look at all the rooms they’re adding. Exciting times for the consumer

And this forces Disney to keep expanding and building. This battle between Disney and Universal is a win for all of us because we will keep getting new experiences at both parks.

From what I know, Universal Creative is aware of the "too many screens" problem. The issue with the last few rides to open---Kong, Fallon and soon to be FF--were too far along in development already. I would suspect the 2019 attractions will be the better reflection of how the park responds to the screens complaints.

Then again, Kong and Fallon were different kinds of screen-based attractions then the ones immediately preceding it. Yet I don't hear Disney fans criticizing WDW rides for using screens (Star Tours, Soarin', Flight of Passage, Toy Story Midway Mania, Mission Space, etc.) Are THOSE rides somehow different, while still utilizing screens, while all of Universal's are the same, even when having different ride systems? Then you're not being honest about the root of your criticism.

There is nothing wrong with having some screen rides mixed in with Dark Boat Rides, Coasters, etc...Universal's problem is that they have too many screen rides relative to their overall size. Disney has a better mix of ride types and they spread the screens out. Excluding 3D shows (Muppets, PhilharMagic, Tough to be a Bug) most Disney parks have only 1 or 2 screens so it doesn't give that feeling of "there's nothing but screen rides" like Universal does.

Animal Kingdom -- FoP
MGM Studios -- Star Tours, TSMM (not really a "screen" ride in the traditional sense)
Epcot -- Mission Space, Soarin
Magic Kingdom -- NONE that I can think of

And this forces Disney to keep expanding and building. This battle between Disney and Universal is a win for all of us because we will keep getting new experiences at both parks.

Universal needs to up its game. A true 3rd Gate (VB doesn't count) would definitely help. Disney is opening TSL in a couple months, SWGE late next year, adding Tron, GotG, and other rides in the next few years. Right now, Universal just has FF. Super Nintendo World hasn't even broken ground and we still don't know what (beyond "family friendly" and HP themed) is going in at Dueling Dragons.

Last edited:
Think part of the Disney vs. Universal thing also comes down to a couple other factors. Disney has 4 parks to spread their attractions around whereas Universal only has two, and neither of them has as much as Magic Kingdom, so the percentage per park at Universal is higher for screen based rides.
Also Magic Kingdom is coming up on 50 years whereas Universal Studios is coming up on 30 years. So when Disney rides didn't utilize screens and they had a lot of rides built and many considered classics, whereas Universal had a mix from the start and has updated some of their old rides to newer ones that are using newer technology. So while Disney has a lot too people think of Magic Kingdom and the classic dark rides when they think of Disney, but Universal has people thinking of the studio aspect and the screens even though it is only part of the thing.
Also part of Universal's problem is the fact that they have multiple rides with very little theming. The Hulk coaster and Dueling Dragons were just open air coasters that didn't have theming aside form their queues, Storm Force has very little theme (though really no less than Mad Tea Party), and Doctor Doom Fearfall is just a basic launch tower versus the highly themed Tower of Terror. Many of their animatronics and scenery are limited compared with Disney. Like I enjoy the overall ride itself of Dudley Do Rights better but Splash Mountain overall is a nicer ride with it's immersive theming versus some static scenes or limited animatronic vignettes. So outside of the screen based rides at Universal there is a ton of well themed immersive rides to compare along side them so this is skewing the view a bit more as well.

If Universal does continue expand and builds a high quality 3rd gate that helps it compete with Disney even more, I’m curious to see how Disney responds. I wonder how much of the market share Disney is willing to give up if they can find a way to mitigate the impact to their bottom line (I.e. more price increases and a la cart fees!!) before they take action to reverse the trend? I’m also curious to see how much trouble Disney will be in during the next economic downturn that is inevitable. I remember the deals during the recession, and Disney was not nearly as blatantly money hungry with all the upcharges, reduced services, and unbundling of fees for more a la cart pricing before that recession. Even though I’m not a fan of Universal (I can’t ride many of their rides), I’m glad to see they’re expanding and I hope it drives Disney to strive for better to retain their customers.

I'm done with the whole "Universal is nothing but screens" argument from Disney fanboys. Yelling at a wall would be a better use of my time.

Agreed, I don't get it either. Especially when it comes from people who admit that they've never stepped foot in Universal.
I went once on a high school trip and was very very impressed by IoA (this was pre diagonal alley in the studios section). Forbidden journey blew me away, and I thought hulk was an incredible roller coaster (so was dueling dragons rip). I also enjoyed the heck out of spider-man, and you can see how influential that rides been on the entire industry.

Overall the screen thing is a bit overblown (though they’ve added more since I went 6 years ago), but I can see it as a criticism. Doesn’t mitigate some of the great experiences they have in their parks though

Agreed, I don't get it either. Especially when it comes from people who admit that they've never stepped foot in Universal.

Yea US/IOA a great day for us, even grabbed AP's the last few years.

Will admit to one and done's for Minions, Simpson's, Transformers (we stay with Spidey) and Shrek and even Kong to a degree actually though. Just find them obnoxious to keep going back to.

That said Dragon Challenge was our fave by far-so that is just horrible news. The new one will be cool but what a loss to get it.

Rip Rocket, Mummy and Hulk are all super fun and the main reason we go.

The HP area's are a must each time, those 2 rides are very good and advanced-but trail in our pecking order over there.

Do enjoy the water rides if it's summer, and MIB is pretty good.

Looking forward to more though, and it's great for competition as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter