Universal Noob... where to eat?

solfan68

DIS Veteran
So after several trips to Disney over the years we are doing a pre-World trip at Universal this summer. Just two and a half days, before slipping off to the bubble.

We'll be staying at Cabana Bay, in case that matters. Two adults and a teen. Where do y'all like to eat at Universal ?

Options in park ? Good stuff at City Walk ? What about at the resorts ? Aside from a meal at one of the two HP options, just not sure what's worth hitting up. Enlighten me !

Give a look at Toothsomes on city walk. We like Three Broomsticks (Great Feast) a lot.

If you make a trip to a Portofino you can grab a decent pizza or sandwich at Sals Market and then have some awesome gelato at the gelateria a few doors down

So after several trips to Disney over the years we are doing a pre-World trip at Universal this summer. Just two and a half days, before slipping off to the bubble.

We'll be staying at Cabana Bay, in case that matters. Two adults and a teen. Where do y'all like to eat at Universal ?

Options in park ? Good stuff at City Walk ? What about at the resorts ? Aside from a meal at one of the two HP options, just not sure what's worth hitting up. Enlighten me !

I can't comment on the table service restaurants at Universal as we don't usually like to take that time away from our day. We tend to stick to "quick service". Fast Food Blvd/Moe's is a must-do if you have any Simpsons fans in your group. Same goes for Three Broomsticks/Leaky Cauldron if you have Harry Potter fans. Thunder Falls Terrace is not too bad but, honestly, I haven't been overly impressed with most of the in-park food we have eaten at Universal - not bad, just not memorable.

On the other hand, the food at Citywalk is generally very good - we particularly like Bread Box, NBC Sports Grill and Margaritaville. Antojitos was good but not somewhere I need to go again. I have only been to Toothsome once but we do plan to go again in May. We are also planning to try out Red Oven Pizza, and maybe Cowfish.

I haven't eaten at many of the table service restaurants at the resorts but plan to go to Jake's during our May trip. The food at the pool bars has always been very good!

For the HP restaurants - both are good. I would recommend checking out the menus and see which appeals to your family more. I adore the fish and chips, which is available at both so I'm all set.

For TS, I always make plans to do one meal at Toothsome's. The chocolate bread is my favorite (I eat a bit to start the meal and save some for "dessert") and have never had a bad experience. There sometimes is a wait at park close, but we've never had a problem at lunch time or a bit prior to park close.

Don't discount the food court at Cabana Bay! For my first 3 stays, we only ate there for breakfast, thinking that it was "food court food." We were WRONG! It is actually good food at very reasonable prices.

Oh, and there is the VooDoo doughnuts at City Walk that I am super excited to try out on our trip next week.

My teen and adult son like Finnegan's in the Studios, Mythos in Islands for lunch, NBC Grill, Margaritaville, and we do quick service as well.

There are some lovely places to eat in the parks.....just got to choose carefully.

In IOA Confisco Grill is definitely one of the best, and much better than Mythos in our opinion.

Thunder Falls for counter service has the best chicken wrap and Fire Eaters Grill should also be considered.

In the Studios Lombards is one of the best for table service and Louie`s for pizza is second to none. Simpsons`s food court is decent but not outstanding.

Finnegans has decent cocktails, but the food doesn't thrill us at all.

We don't eat in either Potter restaurant so can`t comment on them.

Citywalk is a mix of good and bad. NBC Grill is one of the best right now and Margaritaville is decent for burgers, nachos, crab cake sandwich and cocktails.

Toothsome for us hasn't lived up to the hype. Cowfish however is fabulous!!

Voodoo Doughnuts are the best!!!!!

RPR has some fantastic food choices. Jake`s American Bar and the Bula Bar by the pool are consistently excellent and if you like Sushi, Orchid Court is wonderful.

PBH for us is a let down apart from Sal`s for pizza and sandwiches.

HRH has the best onsite restaurant in The Palm, but it`s definitely a place to go for a nice dinner rather than just eating........and their pool bar is also up there with good food.

Some great feedback, guys. I imagine, because our time is limited, that we won't spend too much time on sit-down experiences this time. Want to try and get the most out of the parks. Won't totally rule it out. We shall see. I sure do appreciate the insights, though. Really looking forward to seeing it all for the first time !

Our favorites are the Three Broomsticks, The Leaky Cauldron, and Cowfish. We try to hit all three every trip, and I won't tell you how many times we hit the two HP restaurants because they are just so immersive that we love being there (most in-park meals).

I hit all the counter and sit down places
Some visits I might do duplicate stops at them
Depends on the menu

Do look at damo’s Food - Menu sticky to get an idea of food selections

There are a few places I avoid completely

This fall I will have breakfast in the morning and 13 places for lunch and 14 places for dinners during my stay

A few places I always hit are
Blondies for the freshly made sandwiches which also includes potato salad, Louie’s for the meatball sub and salad combo, island dining room at rpr for the Mongolian beef dinner, Simpson’s Moes food court for sandwiches, Boulangier for sandwiches and potato salad
Have found those above places fairly consistent for quality tasty foods

We loved Bread Box at Citywalk. Ate there three times on our recent trip. Thunder Falls was also a hit for us.

DS (12) thought The Big Pink donut at Lard Lad and the milkshakes at Toothsome were amazing.

We also had a great dinner at Margaritavilla in Citywalk. And like @mjhtvchick we enjoyed our dinner at Antojitos but probably wouldn’t go back.

How much are the donuts at Voodoo Doughnuts ? Also has anyone ate at the hot dog hall of fame?

Thanks:) what about the hot dog hall of fame? Have you eaten there?

Sorry, I haven’t, I don’t like them........

Haven’t really heard any reviews of them either from people I know.........

I have eaten at the hot dog of fame.

There are some dogs I do really like.

They were good but I thought priced a tad high and the dogs were just average size.

I have eaten at the hot dog of fame.

There are some dogs I do really like.

They were good but I thought priced a tad high and the dogs were just average size.

Aww ok thanks :)

I've eaten at Hot Dog Hall of fame. DH and I each selected a different hot dog and shared. They're good. You have to be in a "hot dog" mood I think. After lots of rich, table service meals it was fun to grab a fun hot dog and beverage.

I've eaten at Hot Dog Hall of fame. DH and I each selected a different hot dog and shared. They're good. You have to be in a "hot dog" mood I think. After lots of rich, table service meals it was fun to grab a fun hot dog and beverage.

Thanks 2 years ago we went to Chicago so I was wanting to get another Chicago dog lol

Thanks:) what about the hot dog hall of fame? Have you eaten there?

We like HD HOF quite a lot. They are perhaps pricey for just a hot dog in the world, but most of the dogs are right around $10, which puts them at the same price (Simpson's FF Blvd) or cheaper (Dagwood) than the hot dogs you can get in the park. And these are quality hot dogs with quality ingredients and much tastier than what you can get in the parks. The Colorado dog and Chicago dog are some of our favs. The Chicago dog has the classic neon relish and everything. It's quite good (with the caveat that I'm not from Chicago). Plus, it's fast and we can get back to our vacationing quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts