Universal planning to reopen June 5th - Details in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastAStone

Math and business nerd. Not an insider.
Today (May 21st, 2020), Universal Studios will present their reopening plans to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force.

This is in accordance with Governor Ron DeSantis’ requirements for reopening, which for all parks located in Orange County includes receiving approval from Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, regardless of whether the park normally falls under Orange County’s jurisdiction.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Universal is expected to share a reopening date.

The meeting starts at 2PM Eastern and can be live-streamed on the Orange County Government’s website.

Disney and Seaworld are expected to attend but not present at the meeting. All three parks are part of the task force.

UPDATE:
Universal Orlando to reopen to Team Members only June 1st and 2nd
June 3rd and 4th will be an "Invited Guest and certain Annual Passholder" opening
June 5th is open to the public

Universal will be making the following operational changes upon reopening:

• Virtual Queues in place for many attractions
  • Temperature Checks Manadatory for TMs and Guests
  • Masks REQUIRED for TMs and Guests
  • Disposable masks will be provided free; reusable for sale
  • No Valet parking
  • Capacity will be managed at both resort and building/ride/restaurant level
  • Interactive Play Areas closed
  • Elimination/reduction of water elements of rides
  • No single rider lines
  • Single use menus, plates, silverware, etc
  • No buffets or self serve food of any kind
  • No parades
The entire plan is available HERE

Last edited:
Today (May 21st, 2020), Universal Studios will present their reopening plans to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force.

This is in accordance with Governor Ron DeSantis’ requirements for reopening, which for all parks located in Orange County includes receiving approval from Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, regardless of whether the park normally falls under Orange County’s jurisdiction.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Universal is expected to share a reopening date.

The meeting starts at 2PM Eastern and can be live-streamed on the Orange County Government’s website.

Disney and Seaworld are expected to attend but not present at the meeting. All three parks are part of the task force.
NM, it's early and my brain hasn't kicked in yet. lol

Great news. Universal is usually a follower not a leader.. might want to change your title to 5/21 instead of 6/21

NM, it's early and my brain hasn't kicked in yet. lol
I dont think they post the link far in advance
Here's the news conference from Mayor Demings from yesterday, starting at 22:45 he gets the parks reopening question
https://newsroom.ocfl.net/media-advisories/press-releases/2020/03/coronavirus-updates/he says it should take 12 to 24 hours to review the plans by Demings before sending them to the Gov
Its also important to note that Dr. Pino (the Fl health guy here in OC) has already walked Universal parks and checked their safety procedures, he mentioned that in a task force meeting a couple of meetings ago, he said he was impressed by their guidelines and procedures

My completely non-informed opinion: Universal is trying re-open soon in order to draw more locals. If some of the rumors are true about WDW limiting attendance to resort guests and/or AP holders for a time, locals looking for a weekend day out will choose Universal because WDW won't be an option.

That being said, with Universal now submitting a plan, Disney won't be far behind.

My completely non-informed opinion: Universal is trying re-open soon in order to draw more locals. If some of the rumors are true about WDW limiting attendance to resort guests and/or AP holders for a time, locals looking for a weekend day out will choose Universal because WDW won't be an option.

That being said, with Universal now submitting a plan, Disney won't be far behind.
they've also stayed paying some employees while Disney furloughed almost all of them

Universal has also been paying their employees on the books since the closure, so they have a leg up On Disney to reopen earlier

Universal has also been paying their employees on the books since the closure, so they have a leg up On Disney to reopen earlier
That is also an incentive to open as soon as possible. Much faster burn rate.

Agenda for meeting:

Welcome Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demings George Aguel, President, Visit Orlando &
Tim Giulani, President, The Orlando Economic Partnership, Co-Chairs

Roll Call George Aguel, Co-Chair

Approval of Minutes Tim Giuliani, Co-Chair

Public Comment George Aguel, Co-Chair

County Attorney’s Office Update Kate Latorre, Assistant County Attorney

Health Update Raul Pino, MD, FL Department of Health in Orange County Scott Brady, MD, AdventHealth George Ralls, MD, Orlando Health

Theme Park Presentation John Sprouls, Chief Administrative Officer & Rich Costales, Executive Vice President of Resort Operations, Universal Orlando

Working Group Update Bringing Back Tourism Jesse Martinez & Dr. Youcheng Wang, Co-Chairs
o Proposal on Smaller Attractions
Face Amusement, Fun Spot, Gatorland, Icon Park, K1 Speed, Magical Midway, Nona Adventure Park , Slingshot, Starflyer, Wonder Works

CARES Funding for Small Businesses Eric Ushkowitz, Economic Development Administrator & Andrea Wesser-Brawner, Chief Innovation & Emerging
Technologies Officer, Orange County

Open Discussion George Aguel, Co-Chair

Next Steps Tim Giuliani, Co-Chair

Closing Tim Giuliani & George Aguel, Co-Chairs

from: https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://ocfl.box.com/s/jcwvdt5dxyekx2a8nx5ym0khgm65e6hh/view/667936457578

Last edited:
Anyone local know if it’ll be on any news channels or is it only streaming?

EDIT: nvm, figured it out!

Last edited:
I dont think they post the link far in advance
Here's the news conference from Mayor Demings from yesterday, starting at 22:45 he gets the parks reopening question
https://newsroom.ocfl.net/media-advisories/press-releases/2020/03/coronavirus-updates/he says it should take 12 to 24 hours to review the plans by Demings before sending them to the Gov
Its also important to note that Dr. Pino (the Fl health guy here in OC) has already walked Universal parks and checked their safety procedures, he mentioned that in a task force meeting a couple of meetings ago, he said he was impressed by their guidelines and procedures
So does that mean it's not worth trying to watch today, since we won't hear anything at least until tomorrow?

So does that mean it's not worth trying to watch today, since we won't hear anything at least until tomorrow?
up to you. Nothing is certain until Disney doesn't report anything, I'm sure you'll get a heads up if anything is reported. i'm watching cause I have interest in Universal reopening anyways and there's always tidbits of info that get discussed

Presentation today (with proposed date). Vote tomorrow. The vote for the smaller attractions is today after the presentation (according to the agenda)

up to you. Nothing is certain until Disney doesn't report anything, I'm sure you'll get a heads up if anything is reported. i'm watching cause I have interest in Universal reopening anyways and there's always tidbits of info that get discussed
I think we won't hear the decision but will hear the plan, thus the opening date.
Presentation today (with proposed date). Vote tomorrow. The vote for the smaller attractions is today after the presentation (according to the agenda)
Thanks all! I'm hoping I'm on the correct live stream in that case, haha. I'd like to hear the proposed date.

Anyone local know if it’ll be on any news channels or is it only streaming?

EDIT: nvm, figured it out!

Care to share? I didn't see it on tv. I know I saw a link in another thread this morning but now I can't find it.

EDIT: nvm, also figured it out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!