Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

The past couple of weeks are making us cranky. Moving did seem like a good idea...it was a lot easier to move from an apartment to a house than it is moving from house to an apartment.

I did price out WDW 2 night trips for the 2 of us, but no go until he is fully on boarded with the company benefits. I might need a solo trip when moving is complete or even getting an adult shake and maybe burger at Cowfish.

I have always wanted to go to San Diego. My Dad used to have to travel there when I was in grade school and he would talk about the sites and food.
My aunt and her family still live there. I would love to see them. I haven't seen my uncle in about 5 years. He has't been able to travel with her. My joke is "My idea of camping is Motel 6". Just looked at Sea World and the San Diego Wild Animal park in depth. Going to push for it. I will tell him to take a solo trip to Crater Lake. His dad is buried up there, so I think it would be good fro him to go solo first. Maybe go in a few years.

Moving day part one. Hired some movers for the heavy furniture. These guys made deep ruts in the yard and heard them for 5 hours complaining that we are to blame for their heavy truck to knowingly go on soft ground (last weekend snow plus 2 days of rain this week) instead of using the driveway. I gave them a smaller cash tip because they had to use steep steps. We got a discount on 3 bedroom because we had applied for a ground floor, but that building plus others were going to be demolished for a new project. I guess that I am going to get fit this going year---stairs, gym, pool, and walks to the trails and dog park.

Wish us luck for the house closing (hopeful not ding on the yard getting ruts. :shamrock:

I hope that we get to do Cowfish for the holiday...we can now use an app to get a fix.

Brought Sorcerer Mickey on my cruise for the past two weeks. A couple of folks joked that I should have been on Disney Cruise Lines. :goodvibes

Attachments

• 48364993_10218591951016978_2028442728106295296_o.jpg
    48364993_10218591951016978_2028442728106295296_o.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 14

This will probably be an unpopular opinion on this board, but here goes...

Other than the final 8-10 minutes or so, I thought "Mary Poppins Returns" was bad.

Other than the final 8-10 minutes or so, I thought "Mary Poppins Returns" was bad.
Haven’t seen it yet. We’re going on Wednesday since I’m working Tuesday (we usually go to the movies on Christmas Day). I’ll try to remember to post my thoughts here. I have very low expectations as Mary Poppins is one of my all time favorite movies.

It doesn't help that I watched the original 12 hours before seeing the new version.

But I think even if that hadn't been the case, I still wouldn't have liked it very much.

For the record, I didn't offer my review in the hopes of convincing anyone NOT to watch it. It's getting generally favorable reviews, so clearly it's right up some people's alley. I'm just saying that if anyone sees it and doesn't enjoy it, don't feel bad....you're not alone.

I've heard that from a few people, and I'm disappointed,. since I was looking forward to seeing it. Still want to, but don't know if I will, since this is the "we're probably going to get snow soon" time of year, and since I now have the choice, I do not subject myself with getting to/on public transportation when there's snow on the ground. I haven't even seen Ralph Breaks the Internet yet, but I still REALLY want to!!

Just wanted to check in here VERY quickly to let everyone know I'm sorry I haven't been around much, but I just went through a move, and still have much to do. It's been extremely hard on me physically (and mentally - accepting the slowness of the process, and my body to handle it), and now that the major stuff is done, I'm trying to take it much more slowly, to give my body a chance to heal, and not reinjure myself further. Getting older, and having mobility issues to boot is NO JOKE. It's depressing, and ticks me off, since I'm used to being "the go to guy" for everybody else. But I have to realize this IS all the case, and I am alone (although I did have help with the bigger/heavier stuff for a couple of hours last weekend), and make peace with it. See - you CAN teach older dogs new tricks, and I'm trying to use it as a learning moment! LOL

Anyway - wanted to check in, say I'll be here much more regularly again in the hopefully near future, and I miss and think about you all. Hope everyone is basically OK, and enjoying a happy, healthy, holiday time with those you care about. HUGS ALL AROUND!!!! :grouphug:

Last edited:
Just wanted to check in here VERY quickly to let everyone know I'm sorry I haven't been around much, but I just went through a move, and still have much to do. It's been extremely hard on me physically (and mentally - accepting the slowness of the process, and my body to handle it), and now that the major stuff is done, I'm trying to take it much more slowly, to give my body a chance to heal, and not reinjure myself further. Getting older, and having mobility issues to boot is NO JOKE. It's depressing, and ticks me off, since I'm used to being "the go to guy" for everybody else. But I have t realize this IS all the case, and I am alone (although I did have help with the bigger/heavier stuff for a couple of hours last weekend), and make peace with it. See - you CAN teach older dogs new tricks, and I'm trying to use it as a learning moment! LOL

Anyway - wanted to check in, say I'll be here much more regularly again in the hopefully near future, and I miss and think about you all. Hope everyone is basically OK, and enjoying a happy, healthy, holiday time with those you care about. HUGS ALL AROUND!!!! :grouphug:

Sorry to hear about your challenges....err.....but let's agree to call them opportunities? You are clearly using your knowledge/passion/wit for tremendous support for folks on here; or that's the way I see it as a relative newbie to DIS boards. But, I'd like to think I can gauge a giving heart even if I haven't met someone in person. You are very unselfish and are willing to give support to others without the expectation of anything in return. Take a bow...you are rarity.

What's to say you can't be the "go to guy", but in a different capacity?

It's amazing how many folks messed with me wearing this! I will say that embarkation/debarkation for the Disney Cruise Line appeared orders of magnitude better than our port, although I have yet to travel on one of their ships.

View attachment 371028
What line and ship was this? Is that the Uniqulo shirt? I've tried to order it NUMEROUS times over the past year or so, but they've never had it in my size (also don't like white tees, but would sacrifice just to wear the wondrous Sorcerer). :)

Sorry to hear about your challenges....err.....but let's agree to call them opportunities? You are clearly using your knowledge/passion/wit for tremendous support for folks on here; or that's the way I see it as a relative newbie to DIS boards. But, I'd like to think I can gauge a giving heart even if I haven't met someone in person. You are very unselfish and are willing to give support to others without the expectation of anything in return. Take a bow...you are rarity.

What's to say you can't be the "go to guy", but in a different capacity?
You, my astute friend, read me extremely correctly - in sincerity of heart and actions, intent of posting here, and intent of using all of my knowledge/energy/passion/magical powers to still be a "go to person" and positive force for support and change in others lives, but in a different capacity than when I did it for a career in Emergency Management, since life has chosen a different path for me, and I no longer can.

Very empathic of you!! :)

Hi everyone! Well my oldest FINALLY got all his dental work done. It took a super early trip to the hospital to get it all done, but his mouth is done. He is doing pretty good. He was pretty crabby coming off the anesthesia, but it worked out for the best. Unfortunately/Fortunately we, DH and myself, and his pediatrician are starting to suspect he is on the autistic spectrum. I am honestly not surprised, I had a feeling, but it wasn't something I thought. I kept think I was "seeing" things. We will probably start testing in the near future just to have a plan for him. I know he is not alone, but it is hard realizing struggles your child will probably face in the future.

Hi everyone! Well my oldest FINALLY got all his dental work done. It took a super early trip to the hospital to get it all done, but his mouth is done. He is doing pretty good. He was pretty crabby coming off the anesthesia, but it worked out for the best. Unfortunately/Fortunately we, DH and myself, and his pediatrician are starting to suspect he is on the autistic spectrum. I am honestly not surprised, I had a feeling, but it wasn't something I thought. I kept think I was "seeing" things. We will probably start testing in the near future just to have a plan for him. I know he is not alone, but it is hard realizing struggles your child will probably face in the future.
Hugs to your little guy (for both the dental stuff, and the probable autism). I totally understand (and applaud) your concerns as a parent. But also am very thankful on your behalf that the world is seemingly TRYING to get much better in recognizing/accepting/accomodating those on the spectrum, along with a host of other "special needs". I have several friends, former co-workers, and even a personal relationship that has this challenge, so I say "about time".

I also can personally relate to the world's evolving handling of aging,mobility issues, and those of a larger frame. And I am also personally grateful to see that effort and wish to change involved.

Last edited:
Just wanted to check in here VERY quickly to let everyone know I'm sorry I haven't been around much, but I just went through a move, and still have much to do. It's been extremely hard on me physically (and mentally - accepting the slowness of the process, and my body to handle it), and now that the major stuff is done, I'm trying to take it much more slowly, to give my body a chance to heal, and not reinjure myself further. Getting older, and having mobility issues to boot is NO JOKE. It's depressing, and ticks me off, since I'm used to being "the go to guy" for everybody else. But I have to realize this IS all the case, and I am alone (although I did have help with the bigger/heavier stuff for a couple of hours last weekend), and make peace with it. See - you CAN teach older dogs new tricks, and I'm trying to use it as a learning moment! LOL

hugs. Moving is so stressful...almost done with all of the time consuming stuff. Need to change info on various accounts and determine to learn the house phone. We finally cleaned out the houe except maybe forgetting a cabinet or two (I stayed at the apartment read on for why).

First week at apartment...noticed a lot of outdoor lights were not working on path that goes from parking lot to dog park to office Monday or Sunday. Well, management responded that those were the power company's responsibility. We expressed our concerns for safety. Guess what...Thursday at 1230am...we come back after working on the house and filling the car. I was carrying a crate with glass vases and drinking glasses (in foam wraps) and I missed a step down in the darkest part of the path. Well, after the weird way that I fell...thought I dislocating or did some damage to both legs from knee down, but no glass was damaged. We went to our house closing appointment Thursday morning...barely able to have enough range of motion to walk/get in car...went to urgent care and had at least 20 x-rays done...no bones look out of place or broken. I have some bruising and swelling and have to wrap my legs for 2 weeks (doing RICE). I was laugh a lot because I told my dh that it looks like I a bad run in with a loan shark or someone.

So, I am hoping that i get to have fun weekend soon.

I have some work experience with some autistic spectrum adults in a past job and studied a bit in university plus suspected in a couple of relatives. The key is to create a plan and advocate the heck of services out there that can have your son which I see that you just beginning. You might have frustrations with teaching some life/social skills, but it is normal and learning to be patient. I know that you will be great and maybe open up new possibilities. Parent involvement is a big key in my experience. My first job that I had with developmentally disabled adults used to say labels belong on jars and not on people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!