Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

I hope everyone is enjoying the season. DH had to work last week's and this week's holidays (no extra pay) so we are pretty much low key this year. Poor dh had been having to go to urgent care to recheck his coughing and now has to take some extra medicine which is starting to knock out alot of his coughs (lungs/heart are doing great). I hope he is not like me in some years where I had to go from my birthday, every major holiday, and up to June for various lung issues/health and almost every time a new Star Wars movie comes out (knock on wood...not this year yet). He still tries to do his regular exercises which is helping him keep his oxygen levels in the high 90s.

We could not resist the Dark Side...I mean Disney plus and we plan to do binge watch a certain series. It is getting hard to resist the Borg (CBS all access) for their Picard series (and other Star Trek stuff plus other things),

Tonight, I am making some grass-fed steak , tbd vegetable, and salad plus mushrooms before DH goes to work (beef had like 65 mg sodium per serving and very lean). Tomorrow, cornbread dressing (with Jimmie Dean sausage..naughty sodium dish)m , boneless pork loin (ham has too much sodium), salad, and either slow cooked or roasted veggies. No black-eyed beans for a tradition New Year tradition since I had a hard time finding them plus no low or no salt added versions were in stock on our big shopping trip. Cornbread, pork, and some green veggies are for luck and wealth in the coming year..
We had bought too many naughty treats this year from Trader Joes like their stollen, Cane Cane JOJOs, plus other treats so we are going to behave after Jan. 6 (we do celebrate Epiphany with a nice meal, treat, and sometimes a small gift or like a movie. We were hoping to have going to TROS, but his work schedule and cough, we put it off for another week.

It is getting hard to resist the Borg (CBS all access) for their Picard series (and other Star Trek stuff plus other things),

HNY to you two/too!

I am jostling with this same dilemma as Patrick Stewart looks incredible for his return as Picard. And with number one and counselor Troy back.....egads!

Thanx for your encouragement and suggestions. I'm glad your trip to NoLA went well, hope you had at least one beignet for me! :) And a Saints game? Awesome! Who dat? :)

Happy New Year my friend! I hope all is going well on your front and looking forward to 2020!

Our trip to NOLA couldn't have gone better. I treated my Mom to first row seats to the Saints game with an easy walk from our 2 bedroom 2 bath suite on Poydras Street. She made friends with someone very nice....

80238152_10221796645612340_6023124791446208512_o.jpg

And then someone she adores.....

Mom and Brees December 2019.JPG

Attachments

• 80037757_10221788530409465_8748735578930937856_o.jpg
    80037757_10221788530409465_8748735578930937856_o.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 8

Happy New Year everyone! We have colds, so it has not been a fun new year's eve. Planning our vacation for the year. We are doing a road trip in the spring. I am going to try and budget and convince my husband we need to go to Legoland and Knott's Berry Farm for Christmas!!!! We shall see. Have a fun and safe holiday!!!!!

Happy New Year to all! I hope everyone's year will be filled with good health, good friends and family, good laughter, and good memories!

@NC Belle - Thank you so much for the special thoughts, and back to you and your hubby! I think my bronchitis is FINALLY just about gone, so I can relate to the coughing all the time. It wears you out, and is just so annoying!

All your meals sounded so good, and had me drooling. I have been wanting get an air fryer for quite some time, and think I've done enough research, and found a good enough price, to take the plunge. And the fact the oven doesn't work in my new place makes it all the more reason to do it now. And even though I am not a big "fried foods" person anyway, it will be ice to eat somewhat healthier

@hertamaniac - Thank you again for your friendship and support. I am starting to get more used to the isolation, and I have been going out for walks every day the weather has been good. Having "trash TV" to watch (a guilty pleasure of mine - Bravo Channel mostly - <blushing>) and Disney Plus to watch hasn't hurt any. Been LOVING the Imagineering Series (all done for now, though, sad it's over), and have started enjoying One Day at Disney as well.

Love the pictures of your Mom, thank you for sharing. I think it's wonderful that ya'll enjoy each other's company so much!

@superme80 - Vacation planning - sounds like fun! Hope all get over their colds quickly.

Well now that the Saints are out of the playoffs, again, I am ready to move on.

Went to Toothsome Chocolate Factory and Savory Eatery Kitchen (or whatever it is called). Decided to try the avocado bruschetta that was recently reviewed by the DU team; they didn't steer me wrong. It was delicious and now has me searching for how to air fry avocados (I don't have an oil fryer).

81622430_10221956252402410_1584637430923788288_o.jpg 80974200_10221956247482287_2015604924829663232_o.jpg

Going to see the movie 1917 today and this is the first time I ever purchased reserved seating. We'll see how that goes, but I never thought the day would come where I would pre-select a seat at a movie theater.

Well now that the Saints are out of the playoffs, again, I am ready to move on.

Went to Toothsome Chocolate Factory and Savory Eatery Kitchen (or whatever it is called). Decided to try the avocado bruschetta that was recently reviewed by the DU team; they didn't steer me wrong. It was delicious and now has me searching for how to air fry avocados (I don't have an oil fryer).

View attachment 464262 View attachment 464263

Going to see the movie 1917 today and this is the first time I ever purchased reserved seating. We'll see how that goes, but I never thought the day would come where I would pre-select a seat at a movie theater.
@hertamaniac - Glad you had a good experience at Toothsome. That's definitely some place I'd like to check out if I ever make it back down that way. I just got an air fryer (got a FANTASTIC deal on QVC, have been wanting one for awhile), haven't even used it yet, but 1 of the things I've ordered is an olive oil spray bottle - read you shouldn't use Pam or something like that on an ongoing basis, as it can degrade the nonstick coatings over time, and also can potentially be a fire hazard (or at least scorch,m and not taste good) because the oil is of such a low grade. I also know shouldn't use "traditional" batters to bread stuff - not sure why, haven't gotten to that part of my research yet. But I do know that if you just Google "how to air fry ****" for anything - a BUNCH of helpful sties/recipes will come up. I am looking forward to using mine, especially since my oven doesn't work.

I actually feel very ambivalent about having to reserve seats. There is 1 theater I went to back before i moved which was never really that busy, and I try to never go see movies when they first come out, I don't like being in a crowded theater. The first time I went to buy at ticket here, and the cashier MADE me pick a seat, I was astounded, and felt VERY old. And when I walked in, and there were about 5 people in the entire theater, of course I HAD to change my seat - MANY times - just to be a bada**. 8-) . And when I tell you that I've done assigned seats maybe 20 times now, and somebody was sitting in MY seat at least 1/2 the time, I'm not embellishing. So I usually end up NOT sitting in my assigned seat anyway. I think for an extremely popular movie, when it first comes out, it's great - otherwise - personally, I think it's stupid, and not necessary.

Soapbox off - enjoy your movie! :)

Dh and I went to see Rise Of Skywalker Monday night and liked it---chose our seats at the window and had the theater to ourselves and maybe a couple of others at one point. We did the 3D and had the recliners and moveable center arm plus tray tables. It was a bit creepy seeing no one on our way out after 1 am. The parking lot only had our car and maybe one of the employees' car. It was nice being 10-15 minutes from various movie venues.

@SorcererHeidi , I get a lot of ideas from Skinnytaste.com for airfrying and other methods like Instant Pot. I like the breakdown on nutrition so I work around our diet needs.

@hertamaniac - Glad you had a good experience at Toothsome. That's definitely some place I'd like to check out if I ever make it back down that way. I just got an air fryer (got a FANTASTIC deal on QVC, have been wanting one for awhile), haven't even used it yet, but 1 of the things I've ordered is an olive oil spray bottle - read you shouldn't use Pam or something like that on an ongoing basis, as it can degrade the nonstick coatings over time, and also can potentially be a fire hazard (or at least scorch,m and not taste good) because the oil is of such a low grade. I also know shouldn't use "traditional" batters to bread stuff - not sure why, haven't gotten to that part of my research yet. But I do know that if you just Google "how to air fry ****" for anything - a BUNCH of helpful sties/recipes will come up. I am looking forward to using mine, especially since my oven doesn't work.

I actually feel very ambivalent about having to reserve seats. There is 1 theater I went to back before i moved which was never really that busy, and I try to never go see movies when they first come out, I don't like being in a crowded theater. The first time I went to buy at ticket here, and the cashier MADE me pick a seat, I was astounded, and felt VERY old. And when I walked in, and there were about 5 people in the entire theater, of course I HAD to change my seat - MANY times - just to be a bada**. 8-) . And when I tell you that I've done assigned seats maybe 20 times now, and somebody was sitting in MY seat at least 1/2 the time, I'm not embellishing. So I usually end up NOT sitting in my assigned seat anyway. I think for an extremely popular movie, when it first comes out, it's great - otherwise - personally, I think it's stupid, and not necessary.

Soapbox off - enjoy your movie! :)

Yep...got the oil sprayer a few years ago and I'm done with commercial sprays. The difference is amazing IMO. I have been target fixated on only chicken recipes in the power air-fryer oven and that's my issue.

Well, I'm glad I got the reserved seats as the theater was ~85% occupied. I usually go to our 2nd rate theaters as I want to support the non-Regal/AMC and our local businesses. But this movie was the exception. 1917 is a cinematic delight. I couldn't believe the shots and cinematography. Yes, I felt it was sensationalized and really thought a little more backdrop into the characters would have yielded a top 5 all-time war movie for me. So it won't dethrone the recent Midway as my all-time favorite, followed by a 2nd place of the 1976-7 version (only to be seen in Sensurround in the theater).

I would have felt "old" for my reserved seat, but I printed out a hard copy to show I'm just ancient. LOL!

Dh and I went to see Rise Of Skywalker Monday night and liked it---chose our seats at the window and had the theater to ourselves and maybe a couple of others at one point. We did the 3D and had the recliners and moveable center arm plus tray tables. It was a bit creepy seeing no one on our way out after 1 am. The parking lot only had our car and maybe one of the employees' car. It was nice being 10-15 minutes from various movie venues.

@SorcererHeidi , I get a lot of ideas from Skinnytaste.com for airfrying and other methods like Instant Pot. I like the breakdown on nutrition so I work around our diet needs.
@NC Belle - Thanx so much for the hint on the air fryer recipe site! I ordered a quite tough heat resistant mat for under mine, before I start using it. The drawback of having an older kitchen that does NOT have the counterspace or layout for this type of appliance on even an "as needed basis", and also using someone's else's furniture (wooden kitchen table) so you're worried about damaging it. Soon as that's here, I'll start using the new baby.

Last edited:
Yep...got the oil sprayer a few years ago and I'm done with commercial sprays. The difference is amazing IMO. I have been target fixated on only chicken recipes in the power air-fryer oven and that's my issue.

Well, I'm glad I got the reserved seats as the theater was ~85% occupied. I usually go to our 2nd rate theaters as I want to support the non-Regal/AMC and our local businesses. But this movie was the exception. 1917 is a cinematic delight. I couldn't believe the shots and cinematography. Yes, I felt it was sensationalized and really thought a little more backdrop into the characters would have yielded a top 5 all-time war movie for me. So it won't dethrone the recent Midway as my all-time favorite, followed by a 2nd place of the 1976-7 version (only to be seen in Sensurround in the theater).

I would have felt "old" for my reserved seat, but I printed out a hard copy to show I'm just ancient. LOL!
I will probably be making a lot of chicken in mine too, as that's what I've gone towards the last few years, for health reasons. I am very curious to make a steak in there too, as I LOVE my streak once in awhile! :) I'm curious to see if I can make burgers in there too, or are they too much grease - haven't looked that up yet. I know you can make roast beef, but I probably wont' do that, as it's just me, so would take a LONG time to eat a whole one, and not as good reheated.

Glad you enjoyed your movie!

I am very curious to make a steak in there too, as I LOVE my streak once in awhile! :)

Please tell me you don't streak with your steak. :D

How are things settling in with your new residence? Are you done setting up your personal items and is Disney+ keeping you busy until the weather breaks?

Please tell me you don't streak with your steak. :D

How are things settling in with your new residence? Are you done setting up your personal items and is Disney+ keeping you busy until the weather breaks?
You caught me, and my inevitable typos. :rotfl2: But not being nekkid, no. :o

I have unpacked everything I NEED for right now, but hit a roadblock, for a variety of reasons - some physical, some mental. I have no "home decor" or "personal items" out/around, no knick kncacks, no pictures, etc. And I'm not so sure I will - if my body/mind change, and I decide to, I can always do that. I did not have much out/around in my last apartment either, never hung any pictures - I was only in there a year, and knew I wouldn't do there long term when I moved in, so didn't want to spend the energy - mentally, and physically - to do so. I also didn't want to become attached, if that makes any sense. I was in my last long-term apartment (when my health went downhill, I became disabled, had to retire, etc) for 15 years. I thought of it as "my little nest", and I had stuff all over, and it made me happy. It tore my heart out, and broke my spirit, to have to give/throw most stuff away, relocate, etc., and I never want that feeling again. And here - I am far from knowing this will be a good fit for me, or that I will be here beyond the year on the lease, so same reasoning. It helps that I live alone, and don't get much/any company, so it's just me I have to worry about "impressing". I have also found that, with my physical limitations, it makes it SO much more manageable/easier to clean!!!

That being said - I did decide to chance a day trip being offered to Atlantic City this coming Mon,- walked to the club house yesterday, and bought my requried pre-pay ticket, despite wintry weather being predicted this coming weekend. And lo and behold - after i left, one of the ladies who runs the travel club called (she took my number when I bought my ticket) called and offered me a ride! So I am SO happy I have something to look forward to, and don't have to worry bout getting there! There's another trip in Feb., and if she offers to give me a ride, I'm definitely going to accept! :)

I am probably also going to take the minibus to the grocery store this coming Fri. I want to get the steak to go in the air fryer - I have a grocery order being delivered tomorrow, but the selection of meats is VERY limited, and expensive (1 drawback to online ordering), and of course I like to SEE what I'm buying (feel that way about produce too!). And weather is supposed to be okay, so that's a plus. My increasing physical issues are slowly dying down to a dull roar, and I"m trying to learn how to deal with/manage them, so that drawback to getting out without disabled transportation is, at present, manageable as well, which is good, and helpful in trying to attain/maintain my independence, which is SO important to me.

I also start seeing a therapist next week, which will help, I hope, with both my living/isolation situation and feelings, and my personal issue, which has gone downhill from where it has been, even further, so is draining me even more. I am hoping she/I click, and I can start doing the work to start feeling better immediately. I want, and need to. By the way - as a side note - just found an EXCELLENT quote,w which I am adding, as the last addition, onto my signature line, below.

Thanx, once again, to you, and others here, for your friendship and support. And - for making me laugh/smile, even if it IS at my own expense! LOL

Last edited:
Hi all, It's my first Tuesday in a long time to be around for a live tues podcast. Is there any chatterati section?
I don't seem to see it, but maybe it's not being offered today (or podcast was pre-taped).

EDIT: I found you!! :D

@SorcererHeidi , I am glad that you are doing better....although, streaking with a steak would had been an unique way of meeting your neighbors. We still have not put up our pictures/art because there was construction nearby that shook the walls at times plus the apartments were up for sale (one buyer backed out so our lease was renewed and might get another short renewal...saving money for next place). We are going to do some purging items again soon. We don't use a lot of old kitchen items that were wearing out plus we have some items to donate/recycle too.

Tiggerette, I don't watch live podcast too much, but when I do...its not under my Disboards name.

You caught me, and my inevitable typos. :rotfl2: But not being nekkid, no. :o

I have unpacked everything I NEED for right now, but hit a roadblock, for a variety of reasons - some physical, some mental. I have no "home decor" or "personal items" out/around, no knick kncacks, no pictures, etc. And I'm not so sure I will - if my body/mind change, and I decide to, I can always do that. I did not have much out/around in my last apartment either, never hung any pictures - I was only in there a year, and knew I wouldn't do there long term when I moved in, so didn't want to spend the energy - mentally, and physically - to do so. I also didn't want to become attached, if that makes any sense. I was in my last long-term apartment (when my health went downhill, I became disabled, had to retire, etc) for 15 years. I thought of it as "my little nest", and I had stuff all over, and it made me happy. It tore my heart out, and broke my spirit, to have to give/throw most stuff away, relocate, etc., and I never want that feeling again. And here - I am far from knowing this will be a good fit for me, or that I will be here beyond the year on the lease, so same reasoning. It helps that I live alone, and don't get much/any company, so it's just me I have to worry about "impressing". I have also found that, with my physical limitations, it makes it SO much more manageable/easier to clean!!!

That being said - I did decide to chance a day trip being offered to Atlantic City this coming Mon,- walked to the club house yesterday, and bought my requried pre-pay ticket, despite wintry weather being predicted this coming weekend. And lo and behold - after i left, one of the ladies who runs the travel club called (she took my number when I bought my ticket) called and offered me a ride! So I am SO happy I have something to look forward to, and don't have to worry bout getting there! There's another trip in Feb., and if she offers to give me a ride, I'm definitely going to accept! :)

I am probably also going to take the minibus to the grocery store this coming Fri. I want to get the steak to go in the air fryer - I have a grocery order being delivered tomorrow, but the selection of meats is VERY limited, and expensive (1 drawback to online ordering), and of course I like to SEE what I'm buying (feel that way about produce too!). And weather is supposed to be okay, so that's a plus. My increasing physical issues are slowly dying down to a dull roar, and I"m trying to learn how to deal with/manage them, so that drawback to getting out without disabled transportation is, at present, manageable as well, which is good, and helpful in trying to attain/maintain my independence, which is SO important to me.

I also start seeing a therapist next week, which will help, I hope, with both my living/isolation situation and feelings, and my personal issue, which has gone downhill from where it has been, even further, so is draining me even more. I am hoping she/I click, and I can start doing the work to start feeling better immediately. I want, and need to. By the way - as a side note - just found an EXCELLENT quote,w which I am adding, as the last addition, onto my signature line, below.

Thanx, once again, to you, and others here, for your friendship and support. And - for making me laugh/smile, even if it IS at my own expense! LOL

Glad you took my comment as in jest, but that was such an easy only-in-fun poke; I'm sure I just opened up that door to be used on me (which is fine). 🙃

A.C. huh? It's been many years since I've been there. I do remember when there was no gambling and my family would stay at a Howard Johnson's hotel on the beach. Then a few years later NJ opened up the gambling and the landscape changed so rapidly that we no longer went for overnight visits. Well, there was one time about 20 years ago when my Dad and I went to see professional boxing at the A.C. Convention Center and stayed overnight at one of the Trump hotels (I forget which one).

My friends and I would stay at Harrah's and visit Borgata since the boardwalk wasn't as appealing as years past. Where is your group/ride going? Do they still offer vouchers/credits for in-house play? I'm not much of a gambler even though I've been to Vegas 5 times over the past 10 years (I enjoyed the free shows on The Strip). I have no idea what A.C. is like now (especially since PA has legalized gambling), but am interested to hear your feedback.

Speaking of feedback, I am eager to hear about your red meat in the air fryer experience (yes....I'm avoiding a steak/streak reference...LOL!). I have done pork rounds in it, on rotisserie mode, and they come out excellent.

I am also a "less is more" approach on my home decor. I don't like clutter (or the appearance of it) and take a minimalist approach. It makes for bare walls, but that somehow tricks my mind to think trinkets are non-essentials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter