unusual experience calling for passholder rate

cigar95

DIS weakest link
Called this morning after I had almost accidentally discovered rates were out today. (I've been the type that checks in here every few days, rather than daily.)

Well, my first CM found availability, and almost as an aside, asked me "you *are* an annual passholder?" Well, I told her that our most recent passes had expired, and we would be getting new passes for this trip.

Much to my surprise, she told me that I would have to purchase new passes *immediately* - as in, right now, during this phone call. Since I wasn't interested in doing that, I had to end the call. (Called back, got a different CM, transaction sailed through with no problem.)

I wonder how she would have responded if I already had purchased vouchers, but they weren't yet active. As far as I know, voucher purchases aren't tracked at all, so she might still have insisted I purchase a pass from her.

It will also be interesting to see if I finally get asked for a pass at check-in this time, since before ending the call, she said that she'd note the information in my reservation. It's never happened before, and I've checked in under a passholder rate probably a half-dozen times by now.

I think it would be a great idea to be required to buy the pass right then and there. That way it would weed out those that have no intention of buying the AP.

she probably said that because these rates were announced ONLY to passholders today as a private email as a day early jump. She was probably wondering why you had access to them, without having a pass. I'm surprised they were posted here. After awhile, Disney won't bother giving passholders a heads up a day early. And by the way, they know if you don't have a pass. It's in the computer.

Disney Fool said:
she probably said that because these rates were announced ONLY to passholders today as a private email as a day early jump. She was probably wondering why you had access to them, without having a pass. I'm surprised they were posted here. After awhile, Disney won't bother giving passholders a heads up a day early. And by the way, they know if you don't have a pass. It's in the computer.

You haven't been here too long have you? LOL! Passholder rates are usually announced on some message board before anyone even gets an email! This has been happening for a long time and has yet to change things. As far as it being in the computer, that isn't true if you have a voucher. They do not ask you who the vouchers are for when you buy them so they have no idea who has them or now. There are numbers on the back of a voucher that I think should be given to the CM when making a reservation using an AP code. At least then there is a good chance that the person does have an AP even though it is only a voucher.

I have NEVER been asked to give proof of owning an AP when I made my reservation, don't remember being asked when I got there either (not to say that hasn't happened, I think at the Dolphin, that's about it). It's too bad Disney doesn't have ONE set of rules, some CM's think they can just make them up as they go along. How can one CM tell you that you HAVE to purchase an AP right then and there and another not even ask! However, good for you for getting your rate :cheer2:

skiwee1 said:
You haven't been here too long have you? LOL! Passholder rates are usually announced on some message board before anyone even gets an email! This has been happening for a long time and has yet to change things. As far as it being in the computer, that isn't true if you have a voucher. They do not ask you who the vouchers are for when you buy them so they have no idea who has them or now. There are numbers on the back of a voucher that I think should be given to the CM when making a reservation using an AP code. At least then there is a good chance that the person does have an AP even though it is only a voucher.
If I remember correctly, the last time we bought AP's at the Disney store they 'did' ask for our name and address. Or... is my memory incorrect?

sherry8253 said:
If I remember correctly, the last time we bought AP's at the Disney store they 'did' ask for our name and address. Or... is my memory incorrect?

I bought numerous AP vouchers at the Disney Store. They never asked who they were for. I paid cash for all of them. Some were for my family, others for friends. No one ever asked for names.

Even if your pass is activated, I have had many CMs ask me if I need tickets when I book a room, even when I booked a room witht he AP rate.

So just to clarify... I won't need an AP or an AP voucher in hand when I book an AP room only discount? Just need to have it at check in should they ask... right?

Personally I would die of embarassment if I was asked to show the AP and had not been honest about it. :blush: Besides, it is the honest thing to do.

:sunny:

vicb said:
So just to clarify... I won't need an AP or an AP voucher in hand when I book an AP room only discount? Just need to have it at check in should they ask... right?

Personally I would die of embarassment if I was asked to show the AP and had not been honest about it. :blush: Besides, it is the honest thing to do.

:sunny:

No you do not need one to book. And yes please have it at check in. While I have never been asked for it, there is always a first!

Wait... you mean you don't actually have to have an AP to get the AP rate??? And people say they're AP holders and just hope no one asks for the card? Y'all have more cojones than I do! :teeth:

tlbwriter said:
Wait... you mean you don't actually have to have an AP to get the AP rate??? And people say they're AP holders and just hope no one asks for the card? Y'all have more cojones than I do! :teeth:

I think a lot of folks get the AP rate before spending the $$$ on the AP. Some only get the AP for the resort discount. I would hope not many actually try to check in without having any intentions of getting an AP. I don't think anyone here has even mentioned that.

skiwee1 said:
I think a lot of folks get the AP rate before spending the $$$ on the AP. Some only get the AP for the resort discount. I would hope not many actually try to check in without having any intentions of getting an AP. I don't think anyone here has even mentioned that.
Oh, okay. Your earlier post mentioned weeding out the people who have no intention of buying an AP, which sounded to me like people were getting the AP rate without ever buying an AP.

I have never been forced to purchase a voucher or have an active pass in hand when making a ressie for an AP rate. I have ALWAYS been asked for an active pass at check-in with an AP rate though. It is my understanding that these are the rules. It doesn't matter when you buy or activate your pass for an AP rate as long as it is activated at check-in.

Hi, I took the AP plunge a few days ago. We are staying at AKL standard view, July 17-24, and the $124.00 per night was much better than my AAA rate that I originally booked with. I thought it would be very hard to apply the discount, but the CM was very nice and when she saw that we had never been to Disney before, she happily said it would be no problem. I now must buy the AP. I got the impression that they would rather lure me in with the perks of an AP so that we will go back again and I'm sure we will. I would also like to purchase the DDE card but I'm not sure I would get that before our trip. :flower:

tekmom, go ahead and order the DDE card [you must have at least your voucher before ypu can order it]. They will amil you a letter you can use on your trip so you don't actually need the card in ypur possesion when you go. Just show the letter to your server at the restaurant and you will get the discount. Some posters have suggested that you make a couple of copies of the letter just in case you lose or misplace the original. If you call too close to your arrival date you will have to pick up the letter at Epcot customer relations window.

After you get your AP voucher just call the DDE office at 1-407-566-5858 between 9AM & 6PM Mon thru Fri.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter