Unwell visitors, healthcare options

rklafuller

Aussie Mum
Any visitors from Australia ever have to visit a Doctor or CVS Minute Clinic while in Anaheim? Currently here with my daughter who i believe has strep throat and trying to find out how much it’ll cost to get her seen too? Yes we have travel insurance which we will claim for when we get gone, but just trying to gauge how much up front we will have to pay?

Thanks 😊

So sorry to hear that your DD is unwell! Don't know about the fees (although Minute Clinic is generally lower cost because you won't see a doctor, but a nurse practitioner), but there is one more option if you think your DD might need more comprehensive treatment. The UC Irvine Urgent Care Center is not far from the parks (about 10-15 minutes drive) and offers excellent care. We have relatives and friends who've used UCI and received very good care for all kinds of illnesses and injuries while staying in Anaheim. Personally, if I thought I had strep, I would go to UCI. Hope your DD gets good treatment wherever you go and that she feels better soon.

Last edited:
Does your insurance require you to call first prior to seeking treatment? Some policies do and advise you what will be covered and what your options are. Check your policy first.

My husband was once sick while we were at Disneyland - ended up going to Anaheim Urgent Care. We have a high deductible plan so needed to pay out of pocket anyway...this was about 5 years ago. Ended up being cheaper than our local clinics in Wisconsin - about $80 for the visit and antibiotics. I’m sure the price has gone up a bit since then but I still found it reasonable in a pinch. Wasn’t far from property either.

The last time I went to Minute Clinic the office visit was $99. Extra tests and medication were extra, but it's much less expensive to visit Minute Clinic than the hospital or urgent care.

I've used CVS Minute Clinic before (though not in Anaheim) and it's probably as good an option as any, plus you will be right there at a pharmacy to get antibiotics if she does have Strep. Per their price list she would fall in the $99-139 price range- I'd guess closer to $139 as $99 is basic visit cost and then the rapid strep test will be additional cost.

Antibiotics should be pretty cheap if needed. I'm not sure how old your daughter is but they will probably be cheaper if she is older and can swallow pills vs liquid. It will also be more convenient as the typical antibiotic for strep has to be taken several times a day and pills will be easier to take to the parks and for the rest of your travel once she's feeling better but still needs to finish the antibiotic course.

Strep is painful but OTOH if it is strep some antibiotics will get her feeling better and back in business quickly. Hope she feels better soon!

As long as you don’t go to the ER it won’t be too much. I would overestimate at a couple hundred and expect to be happy with the actual charge.

If the antibiotic isn’t a brand name you’re familiar with, look it up by the generic drug name to see what it’s called in Australia. Don’t want to take something she might be allergic to.

Thanks for the advice all. We ended up getting a Doctor to come out to the hotel as she wasn’t really up to leaving the room as she was very miserable. He was great, and even though it ended up costing in excess of $800US dollars, for his visit and all medications he gave (he had them on him, so no need for a pharmacy trip) I would use the service again.

She is feeling so much better thankfully! Very glad we always take out good travel insurance as we’ll get it all back.

Wow, I've never heard of a doctor making house calls (or hotel calls, in this case), unless someone was literally on their death bed. For some reason we're just expected to suck it up and venture out to a clinic, where we can worsen our illness while infecting others. It's not a great system.

Thanks for the advice all. We ended up getting a Doctor to come out to the hotel as she wasn’t really up to leaving the room as she was very miserable. He was great, and even though it ended up costing in excess of $800US dollars, for his visit and all medications he gave (he had them on him, so no need for a pharmacy trip) I would use the service again.

She is feeling so much better thankfully! Very glad we always take out good travel insurance as we’ll get it all back.
Glad she is feeling better. Strep is no fun!
Wow, I've never heard of a doctor making house calls (or hotel calls, in this case), unless someone was literally on their death bed. For some reason we're just expected to suck it up and venture out to a clinic, where we can worsen our illness while infecting others. It's not a great system.
It’s still a thing just expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!