Life as a Tri-pawd

Thanks for updating! Isn't just amazing how easy they adapt to losing a leg. Shows how much of a hangup we humans have psychologically with this type of thing!

Sounds like she's doing better than Katy was when she came home! How old is your pup again? I'm thinking younger? Katy will be 11 next month.

You might try adding a scoop of pumpkin to her food which might help make her stools a little softer which might make pooping easier. I'm sure having the back leg amp makes those jobs a little tougher learning to balance and all. I put a tablespoon scoop of pumpkin on my dogs' food every morning. Just the plain pumpkin from the can that doesn't have all the pie spices in it.
She's 7 - I'm glad she's sleeping. I'm ZONKED. LOL!

I may try the pumpkin if she doesn't start the process. I know I need to give her a little time though.

The pumpkin is a great idea - I did this with my GSD when she was recovering from TPLO surgery and was having a hard time. Worked great, but I should have introduced it slower. It worked TOO well at first, if you catch my drift.

You did they right thing by your baby. My baby (a chihuahua I rescued four years ago at Christmas) was diagnosed with inoperable cancer not long after her adoption. It was a nerve sheath tumor that was on her nose and incredible painful In fact, they said it was the most painful cancer a dog could have. The vet said, "Too bad we don't live hear anywhere that does radiation on dogs, because this type of tumor can respond to it." So, we drove 100 miles each way for radiation treatments. The tumor had already done it's damage to the nerve so there was no long term hope, but we tried radiation and pain meds to buy her some time.

And I'm so, so, so grateful I did. I didn't really know her that well when she was diagnosed, but I knew she was something special Over the last few years, we absolutely fell in love. She became a part of my soul. Our battle with cancer only made us closer.

We had almost 4 really great years. I said goodbye to her on October 20th. Although my heart is so broken that I can't describe it, I'm an eternally grateful that we found the fight. We had such a precious gift... time.

So I commend you on your choice to fight. It's so worth it.

The pumpkin is a great idea - I did this with my GSD when she was recovering from TPLO surgery and was having a hard time. Worked great, but I should have introduced it slower. It worked TOO well at first, if you catch my drift.

You did they right thing by your baby. My baby (a chihuahua I rescued four years ago at Christmas) was diagnosed with inoperable cancer not long after her adoption. It was a nerve sheath tumor that was on her nose and incredible painful In fact, they said it was the most painful cancer a dog could have. The vet said, "Too bad we don't live hear anywhere that does radiation on dogs, because this type of tumor can respond to it." So, we drove 100 miles each way for radiation treatments. The tumor had already done it's damage to the nerve so there was no long term hope, but we tried radiation and pain meds to buy her some time.

And I'm so, so, so grateful I did. I didn't really know her that well when she was diagnosed, but I knew she was something special Over the last few years, we absolutely fell in love. She became a part of my soul. Our battle with cancer only made us closer.

We had almost 4 really great years. I said goodbye to her on October 20th. Although my heart is so broken that I can't describe it, I'm an eternally grateful that we found the fight. We had such a precious gift... time.

So I commend you on your choice to fight. It's so worth it.
I’m so sorry to hear about your chihuahua. We do get so attached to them. No matter how long we get them, there’s no doubt of all the love there.

Ciara pooped tonight! I continue to be amazed at how well she’s doing.

One question for those who’ve experienced it - the bruising is pretty gnarly right now and she’s day 3 post-op. When should we start to see it start to get better? I realize the amount of trauma to the area makes this normal but I wouldn’t want to let it go...

So happy that Ciara is doing well and that she pooped tonight! Hey, it's the little things that make us happy, right?

I'd say Dug's bruising went away in about a week to 10 days. I can't remember, actually. His ampuversary is tomorrow so one year was a long time ago, haha.

Give Ciara extra pets from all of us!

So happy that Ciara is doing well and that she pooped tonight! Hey, it's the little things that make us happy, right?

I'd say Dug's bruising went away in about a week to 10 days. I can't remember, actually. His ampuversary is tomorrow so one year was a long time ago, haha.

Give Ciara extra pets from all of us!
That is so great it’s been a year! It’s so positive to hear about success stories.

I’ve been reading on the tripawds website that bruising can be pretty bad for the first week but as long as it’s not oozing or bleeding, it’s ok. We’ll keep an eye on it this weekend.

I do remember we had to take Dug back on that Sunday to have his bandage re-done because it's an awkward wrapping on the front (The video I sent you was of him hopping out after getting the wrap). When they re-wrapped it they said is wound looked great to them. It looked horrid to us but one of the nurses who took care of Dug was the mom of one of our students. She would have told me the truth if it didn't look good.

I do remember we had to take Dug back on that Sunday to have his bandage re-done because it's an awkward wrapping on the front (The video I sent you was of him hopping out after getting the wrap). When they re-wrapped it they said is wound looked great to them. It looked horrid to us but one of the nurses who took care of Dug was the mom of one of our students. She would have told me the truth if it didn't look good.
I know! These guys see this stuff day in and day out and to us, it’s horrible.

I’m in bed as I type this...resisting the urge to sleep downstairs with her. :rolleyes1 Must be strong, must be strong....

Katy's bruising went through the regular timeline for bruising going to dark purple to blue, to green, then yellow. Probably a good week or more. I think her hair had started to grow back over it before it was all gone. It was the same when she had the cruciate knee surgeries in the past as well. The key will be to watch the actual incision for any redness or oozing of pus which would be a sign of infection. There was one particular spot on Katy's incision near a fold that was stubborn so we had to do a couple rounds of antibiotics for that. The pus crusted over so much right there that they couldn't get to the suture to remove it. The spot was only about an inch long. Had to wait for the scab to come off naturally to take the staple out. That's why she was still wearing her t-shirt at the lake 1-month post-op!

Happy to hear that she's pooping normally! It sounds like things are going so well and smooth for you!

Not only were we weak, we moved the bed downstairs and put it in the office so we could sleep by him. We're so horrible we sold our 2 level house this summer and moved into a ranch so the dogs wouldn't have to do as many stairs. Our older Golden turned 12 in October and it's harder for him to do the stairs. Dug just flies up and down them!

Not only were we weak, we moved the bed downstairs and put it in the office so we could sleep by him. We're so horrible we sold our 2 level house this summer and moved into a ranch so the dogs wouldn't have to do as many stairs. Our older Golden turned 12 in October and it's harder for him to do the stairs. Dug just flies up and down them!
We're lucky - we have a floating staircase on the 1st set of stairs so she's never gone up them. I just wanted to see if she could do it without freaking on us, but she did fine overnight! I woke up periodically and check the Nest cam and she was always lying down somewhere. She sleeps a lot during the day so she's right back on schedule. :thumbsup2

My daughter and I took turns sleeping on the couch downstairs next to Katy for a week or so. My other dog Hurley stayed at Katy's side as well.

Hey all - Ciara has been doing really good the last couple days. The bruising has gone down quite a bit already.

We've noticed some panting and she keeps licking her bed before lying down on it. The incision is not red and does not look infected at all. Wondering if this is a sign of pain?

According to the vet, she is supposedly not needing pain medication anymore. When did you all wean your pups off the pain meds post-op? The surgeon only gave us a few days' worth of Tramadol, citing she may not need it as long as we do the Rovera daily. I've had this poor dog on meds so long I realized I don't know if I will know if she's truly in pain or not once the stitches come out and all. We tried taking her down to 2 Tramadol a day instead of 3 and she was whining a little while ago, while panting and licking her bed.

Any tips on how to do this effectively or tell-tale signs of pain in post-amp dogs?

Last edited:
Hey all - Ciara has been doing really good the last couple days. The bruising has gone down quite a bit already.

We've noticed some panting and she keeps licking her bed before lying down on it. The incision is not red and does not look infected at all. Wondering if this is a sign of pain?

According to the vet, she is supposedly not needing pain medication anymore. When did you all wean your pups off the pain meds post-op? The surgeon only gave us a few days' worth of Tramadol, citing she may not need it as long as we do the Rovera daily. I've had this poor dog on meds so long I realized I don't know if I will know if she's truly in pain or not once the stitches come out and all. We tried taking her down to 2 Tramadol a day instead of 3 and she was whining a little while ago, while panting and licking her bed.

Any tips on how to do this effectively or tell-tale signs of pain in post-amp dogs?

I can usually tell by Katy's eyes if she's in pain. They looked dull. Also, she pants heavier and differently than her usual smiley panting. I'd say if the whining and panting isn't the norm for your dog it is most likely a sign of pain.

We had the Tylenol/codeine for probably about a week post-op. She's continued on Carprofen (anti-inflammatory) to help support the arthritis in her back legs (due to knee surgeries) and the extra strain they now have. That wouldn't be standard for all amp dogs though.

I can usually tell by Katy's eyes if she's in pain. They looked dull. Also, she pants heavier and differently than her usual smiley panting. I'd say if the whining and panting isn't the norm for your dog it is most likely a sign of pain.

We had the Tylenol/codeine for probably about a week post-op. She's continued on Carprofen (anti-inflammatory) to help support the arthritis in her back legs (due to knee surgeries) and the extra strain they now have. That wouldn't be standard for all amp dogs though.
Thanks, I gave her a Tramadol about 40 minutes ago. She's still panting and trembling. Thinking of calling the vet. This is the first time I've been worried since we got her home. :(

Thanks, I gave her a Tramadol about 40 minutes ago. She's still panting and trembling. Thinking of calling the vet. This is the first time I've been worried since we got her home. :(

If your vet has an after-hours number I'd give them a call. We never used Tramadol after the surgery so I don't know about that. It was prescribed before her diagnosis when she was in pain and her initial X-ray was clear. The vet thought she'd strained something in her shoulder. It didn't help at all with the pain at that time. That's my only experience with it. Sorry!

Hey all! I spoke to the after hours nurse yesterday, and she said I could do the tram and Gabapentin to help with the pain. It seemed to help keep her quiet last night.

She’s doing okay today. The surgeon refilled our tram for the next week +, which I will pick up today. The surgeon agreed that we could continue giving her both drugs as needed, so we will keep doing that until at least next week when the staples are removed.

We cone her at night, and I think it’s uncomfortable for her, and she doesn’t get much sleep. She passes out during the day, so just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible until we can get these sutures out and no more cone. *fingers crossed* We had to do an extra week with the bone biopsy since it was a bit irritated at suture removal.

I was a little sad today because she did not want to get up for her daily treats, but I think she’s just tired. She is eating and drinking normally and going potty. She just seems a little down. I’m hopeful that will pass, especially into next week. ::yes::

ETA: the word "trama***" is banned from the boards, so shortened it? :confused3

Hey all! I spoke to the after hours nurse yesterday, and she said I could do the tram and Gabapentin to help with the pain. It seemed to help keep her quiet last night.

She’s doing okay today. The surgeon refilled our tram for the next week +, which I will pick up today. The surgeon agreed that we could continue giving her both drugs as needed, so we will keep doing that until at least next week when the staples are removed.

We cone her at night, and I think it’s uncomfortable for her, and she doesn’t get much sleep. She passes out during the day, so just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible until we can get these sutures out and no more cone. *fingers crossed* We had to do an extra week with the bone biopsy since it was a bit irritated at suture removal.

I was a little sad today because she did not want to get up for her daily treats, but I think she’s just tired. She is eating and drinking normally and going potty. She just seems a little down. I’m hopeful that will pass, especially into next week. ::yes::

ETA: the word "trama***" is banned from the boards, so shortened it? :confused3

Glad you were able to get the additional meds. I am sure the cone does make restful sleep more difficult. Poor baby. I do remember thinking in that 1-2 week post amp time that I had made a terrible mistake in having it done. Katy seemed so down and depressed and not herself and I was so worried that I had broken her spirit and really had a lot of regrets. About the 2-3 week mark, she started to emerge again and a switch went off and she was her happy normal self. I am sure it was a combination of pain, being uncomfortable, still under medication, and probable confusion as to what had happened to her and why her normal things were so hard now. I don't regret my decision now, but for that week between the 1-2 week post op I did. Just keep your eye on the prize of getting through the next 2 weeks or so. It'll be difficult but there is a rainbow at the end! Hugs to you all!

Glad you were able to get the additional meds. I am sure the cone does make restful sleep more difficult. Poor baby. I do remember thinking in that 1-2 week post amp time that I had made a terrible mistake in having it done. Katy seemed so down and depressed and not herself and I was so worried that I had broken her spirit and really had a lot of regrets. About the 2-3 week mark, she started to emerge again and a switch went off and she was her happy normal self. I am sure it was a combination of pain, being uncomfortable, still under medication, and probable confusion as to what had happened to her and why her normal things were so hard now. I don't regret my decision now, but for that week between the 1-2 week post op I did. Just keep your eye on the prize of getting through the next 2 weeks or so. It'll be difficult but there is a rainbow at the end! Hugs to you all!
I remember you saying that and that's what I try to keep telling myself. Let's get through this week. Next Tuesday will be 2 weeks post-op and I hope she will continue to get better. Then we do chemo, which may be another hurdle. Just trying to stay positive. :)

I remember you saying that and that's what I try to keep telling myself. Let's get through this week. Next Tuesday will be 2 weeks post-op and I hope she will continue to get better. Then we do chemo, which may be another hurdle. Just trying to stay positive. :)

Don't stress too much about the chemo. I am being 100% honest here in the 5 treatments we did the hardest part was the one day that the wifi in the vet's office didn't work and I had bad cell service so I was stuck in the waiting room for an hour or so with only the HGTV to watch! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter