UPDATED 01/14/20 - The FW DISMeet 2020-See Post #283 For Latest News and Updates

there's all y'all to keep me honest.

Uhhh...yeah....right. About that...

I'm in for Monday, but really any of them are fine since it will likely just be myself and DW going. Typically the conferences are over by 11 or 12 so anything after that is fine for sure.

I must have missed something on the other page

That whole thing where tiggerdad sorta offered to wear a costume and I posted the "please don't do it" message and then we went into the Smokey and the Bandit routine. Guess that put us in "chit chat mode".

I was unrealistic on my part to think a thread for an event over 500 days out could stay focused on the topic (least of all by me).

The next thing on my radar screen is next month when the window comes open to book our "night before" at Lake Louisa SP in Clermont as is our habit now. I'm assuming that our assigned loop will be clearing out (and some of our DISMeet guests will already have arrived by then) but for those of us coming down I75 and the Turnpike on Friday 10/9 (checking into the Fort on Saturday 10/10) anyone who shows up at LLSP that night, we can have a pre-DISMeet meet before we roll over to the Fort the next morning.

I'm hoping our early guests can let us know if anybody is on our sites the night before our arrival. Because SOMEBODY :rolleyes: has to pre-assign all the campsites because the Fort CM's don't do that for groups (or so I've been told).

Yep, a year from now, some fun will be had, I hope.

Bama Ed

That whole thing where tiggerdad sorta offered to wear a costume and I posted the "please don't do it" message and then we went into the Smokey and the Bandit routine. Guess that put us in "chit chat mode".

The next thing on my radar screen is next month when the window comes open to book our "night before" at Lake Louisa SP
Ah,

That...

For some reason I was putting your post together with Denise's reminder in the DIS Guidelines thread and coming up with something more egregious.

Thanks for reminding me of LLSP. I may try to give it a 3rd attempt. Two years ago the hurricane closed it. Last year, truck problems on the way down got in the way. Next year may be the magic. We will also be driving down Friday, the 9th, with a Fort arrival on Saturday. I'll have to get out of here earlier on Thursday than after work. DW doesn't travel more than a few hours without having to stop for something (BR, food, stretch).

j

Post a link to the campground please. I dont even remember the dates i booked for this as my soon to be teip is priority. Please blame the fault on me , as i allready draw the ire of the mods. ( i cant seem to get stuff right all the time) such is life. And to keep this on topic, will we be doing a group dinner, or breakfast? Or both?

Post a link to the campground please. I dont even remember the dates i booked for this as my soon to be teip is priority. Please blame the fault on me

Well your dates are right here in post 61:

Ok , i think im in from the 9th to the 17th. Full hook up, too much pavement for me in premium! Besides my pop up will feel better being only slightly dwarfted in the full sites.

That's the top of page 4 of this thread for those of you following along at home.....

So you show arriving at the Fort on Friday, 10/9. Others of us come in on Saturday 10/10.

I have stayed at Lake Lousia State Park (a FL State Park) in Clermont on 5 previous trips. Here is the reason why.

Over the years I have gotten angry with the Fort's ever higher campsite rates. We drive 550 miles +/- to get to the Fort and if we do it in one long day we get there late afternoon. By the time I check in, unload, and set up, it is dinner time (or later) and I am paying over $120 to breathe the Disney air and not much else.

The alternative that I have chosen is to come down I75 and the Turnpike and stop at Lake Lousia State Park (LLSP) which is about $30 for one night. I lay up there then in the morning head to the Fort in the early morning and save almost $100. Of course in early morning, depending on the season, your FW campsite may not be ready. So I spot up in the overlot for a few hours.

But in those few early morning hours I can:

- eat breakfast at Trails End (done that)
- hit the Meadow Trading Post as it opens and scope out new stuff (done that)
- visit DIS members already set up for coffee and conversation (done that-sorry Terri/Greg)
- scope out the remaining Fort Wilderness RailRoad rails left laying in the woods (done that)

At some point I get my site text and roll down and set up.

I personally love early mornings at the Fort.

In the overflow lot I set up my folding chair and wait. It's quiet. I like it.

For LLSP you come down I75 and then slide over onto the Turnpike and take the Hwy 27 exit down into Clermont proper. There is a Wal-Mart Super Center coming into town (on a hill on the left) before LLSP. Then when you leave LLSP on Hwy 27 and heads south in the morning there is a second WMSC on the left (flat) before Hwy 192 in Kissimmee. Only takes 30 minutes from LLSP to the Fort.

If you come down I75/Turnpike earlier in the day, LLSP is irrelevant to you. If you come down I95/I4 at all, it is too far out of your way to stop in Clermont.

Some folks don't choose to stop at a state park and are comfortable at an interstate rest stop further up the line. Your choice.

With a popup, I like rolling in, plugging into shore power, and having a comfort station close at hand. No unhitch required with an Aliner. LLSP site #15 the night before arriving for the Marathon Weekend back in Jan 2015 (trailer still hitched to truck).

Florida State Parks have a booking window 11 months out from arrival and they are on Reserve America's website. (Thus my interest next month for my 1 night ressie)

https://www.reserveamerica.com/explore/lake-louisa-state-park/FL/281108/overview

My strategy will not fit everyone else's. But I like it, use it, and it works for me because on my Fort arrival day I have no other commitments usually other than to get there early, chat with the CheckIn CM's, set up, and enjoy the Fort for the day.

Bama Ed

PS -
will we be doing a group dinner, or breakfast? Or both?

The rough plan is for a group lunch or early dinner on Monday (keep it clear)

Last edited:

If you guys are gonna go this far, you might as well start figuring out who is going to bring the Coors....

So I have to ask, what's the fascination with Coors? Asking for a friend. It's readily available here.

I was unrealistic on my part to think a thread for an event over 500 days out could stay focused on the topic (least of all by me).

Heck Ed, most of us couldn't keep focused on the topic if it was only 5 days away. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :fish:Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, oh look a new thread! :cool1:

It wasn't any 1 thing or 1 person or 1 post. Decisions are not personal, it's what's good for the board as a whole.
It's cool. Need to be reminded from time to time. Keeping squirrels on track is...well...

Ed, I'll have to check with Randy and all of Grand Bay, AL. Our plan was to link up with them possibly on the way through Mobile, AL and caravan our way down. Of course, now that the kids are likely not coming with us, we may be able to leave much earlier in the day on Friday and not have to drive through the night like we usually do. This may be earlier than Randy and them are planning on leaving. Also, not sure on Randy's plan for pulling vehicle. If he brings the Pete...well, not sure if LLSP can handle that big girl. What I will likely do is reserve a site at LLSP and make changes as the date gets closer.

We may have our neighbors tag along with us, just adult trip. Neither of them have been to Disney and if they go with us they would only have to pay for park tickets plus neighbor could help me drive down and make trip better.

That's fine. Just throwing the LLSP out there so people understand why I reference it. But everybody can do their own thing as circumstances determine.

The Coors joke that Jimmy threw out there was in reference to all the "Smokey and the Bandit" pics on the prior page and how we could all dress up for Halloween as the characters in the movie. Remember, Big Enis and Little Enis bet Bandit and Snowman that they couldn't get west of the Mississippi where Coors was (at the time) distributed and bring it back in time for a party they were hosting.

We hit 46F degrees this morning. It feels like camping and football weather here.

Bama Ed

We’re checking in Sunday, October 4th, so a week before most of you arrive. If there’s anything we can do to help out let me know! And we’re definitely keeping Monday open for the get together - and any other plans that are made as well!

You bunch of slackers! I watch it at least once a month.

Twice before I hit the road for a long journey.

tiggerdad has strong feelings on this point.

After all, his "getaway gif" he normally posts when leaving home to go camping (Gulf Shores, Fort Wilderness) is a Bandit gif.

giphy.gif

That's fine. Just throwing the LLSP out there so people understand why I reference it. But everybody can do their own thing as circumstances determine.

The Coors joke that Jimmy threw out there was in reference to all the "Smokey and the Bandit" pics on the prior page and how we could all dress up for Halloween as the characters in the movie. Remember, Big Enis and Little Enis bet Bandit and Snowman that they couldn't get west of the Mississippi where Coors was (at the time) distributed and bring it back in time for a party they were hosting.

We hit 46F degrees this morning. It feels like camping and football weather here.

Bama Ed

So who is going to dress up like the "frog"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!