(Updated with Day 9/Cruise Day 4) Surf 'n Turf 5/28/11 Med & Disneyland Paris

Great report :thumbsup2 I just love the photos from La Tour Eiffel!

I laughed when I saw the chairs...Beach Club and Yacht Club all in one :lmao:

DisneylandandParis167.jpg

Looking forward to the rest popcorn::

I forgot to mention, we bought the T10 pass for the Barcelona Metro. It was 10 one way tics, and between the 2 of us using 5 each, it worked out great. It was about 10-15 euro total. This got us from the Airport to the Hotel, from the Hotel to Las Ramblas, from Las Ramblas to the Hotel, From the Hotel to the Port, and from the Port to the Airport. All for 10-15 total. Not bad.

After checking in, we needed food. So off to Las Ramblas. Placa de Catalunya was were we started at the top of the Ramblas. This plaza must of had around 5000-8000 students/protesters in it. Peaceful for the most part. But after were were there, they police cleared out the plaza the next AM.

View looking down.....

018.jpg

019.jpg

We did one of the only non tourist things the entire trip. We ate late, at a bar, and had traditional tapas, with drinks. Lots of fun and great food. I would love this concept in the US. Bars would sell more food, if it was right in front of you.

020.jpg

A plaza off the street...

021.jpg

022.jpg

At night.

026.jpg

027.jpg

One of the things we like about the the DCL is the bring on board alcohol policy. Not cause we are drunks, but because we are cheap! (My wife is a full time student..so one income for us) So paying even the modest DCL prices for 3-5 drinks a day would get expensive fast. In FLA, we bring an extra bag, hit up Publix or ABC, get a case of beer and some rum and vodka. We have never bought more then 1-2 drinks total on a cruise.

But in the Med, we couldn't bring an extra bag without paying for it on the Vueling flight. So we decieded it would be cheaper to by one there. So I haggled with a vendor, and got a 35 Euro suitcase for 15. Then we had a grocery store right across from our hotel. Picked up some Heineken and Amstel Light (I am a Miller Light guy...but when in Rome) and it was only .50 Euro a can! Not bad at all. So with some beer, Vodka and Captain, we were all set!

That concludes Day 5.

Cruise is up next!!!!

The hotel did have Breakfast, but for a fee...so we picked up some food at the Grocery store in the AM. All this for only 3 euro!!!

028.jpg

Yes after eating Ham, Bread, and Fruit for the last 3 days, we bought....Ham, Bread, and Juice. Price was right though....plus topsiders in a few hours anyway....

After we got out of the Metro, at the bottom of las ramblas, near the entrance to the port, was the Christopher Columbus monument....

031.jpg

There is a bus that takes you from here to the terminal for 2 euro each.

No wait to check in due to the Castaway Club only queue.

The terminal waiting area...

032.jpg

Got to the terminal at 1030, they opened at 1000. We had to be in the first 100-150 guests. Yet we got boarding group 17?

Howerver, the started at 1200, and boarded a group per minute. So we got in around 1215-1220ish.

What to do first? Topsiders! Ate the first off many, many shrimp. We sat outside, it was overcast, and cool, but it didn't matter. We had a visitor....

035.jpg

We only had a few hours the night before in Barcelona, so I took some pics of the city from the boat....errrr ship.

037.jpg

Almost all the ports were industrial....didn't matter to me...in fact, I liked it.
038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

I love my Zoom

041.jpg

Random pic out of order....from lunch

043.jpg

Like I said, I had my beer already...but i did like the display they had

044.jpg

My first time on the Magic....

045.jpg

Our room was ready at 1330. We had done outside on our first two cruises, but we saved some money on this one. I liked the revesed floor plan of having the "bedroom" in the back. Didn't like not having a window.

051.jpg

Yes they have Red Bull in Spain. The mugs were from trip one. We bring em every time.

052.jpg

Being on day 6, with min cloths, we needed to do laundry. We packed last night with all the dirty cloths in seperate bags by color, and went staight to the laundry room at 1335. We took 3 our 4 washing machines. By the time we got back 20 min later to move them to the dryer, there was a backup of 10 loads waiting. Good timing.

So Laundry consumed the next hour and a half. We got unpacked and we turned on the channel with the camera from the bridge. The sun was out, so we got some pics before the drill at 1600.

Trying to take a photo of the now running gondola, but look at what I got in the background....

053.jpg

So safety drill. I didn't know you don't bring your life vests anymore. Looked like an idiot.

At 1730, Adventures Away time. Tunred out to be a nice day.

054.jpg

Ship horn war. We won.

What is on the bridge?

055.jpg

Zoomed in

056.jpg

Compared to the same pic a few hours before.

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

The

060.jpg

061.jpg

Starting to leave the port...

062.jpg

The airport is close. So close in fact, I got this pic, of an inbound flight landing, right over our ship as we sailed out. It was this close.

064.jpg

We have a bucket list of things we have always wanted to do on a Disney Cruise, but didn't have time too, due to the short nature of the 3 and 4 day cruises or because we didn't want to miss out on something else. With 11 nights, we were able to get a bunch done. One of the things was to "skip" dinner. Not to not eat, but to not eat at the main dinning time. (Either Room Service, Topsiders, or just snack all day and night.

We got our first bucket list item done on night one. Not that we wanted to skip dinner the first night, but we found something better. I am not soccer fan, but the Champions Cup was that night, and it was England and Barcelona, and I thought there might be a lot of fans on the ship. It was only available via sat, so it would not be in the rooms. Just Diversions and the Funnal Vision. I thought it would be fun to watch it in Diversions with everyone. So camped out at a window table a hour or so early, played some games, had a few beers, watched the sunset. Then around game time, the place filled up and we snacked on the wings and nachos that they had. A great time and worth missing dinner. Bucket List 2 and 3 done too. We had never been to Diversions. We had also never been hunglry enough to eat the snacks they put our late night. 3 done one night!

We then watched our fav game show...Match your Mate. Always a good time!

Bed time. Our towel animal.

065.jpg

I forgot to say...our Cabin Attendant was great. He saw the case of beer we had, brought a cooler for it, and filled it with ice, every day of the cruise! He got a great tip at the end!

Day 6 (Day 1 Cruise) Now done...will not get to update this trip report till next week. I am going away for the July 4th Holiday to Maine for a few days, with no internet (Yes, another vacation this soon)

Here is something you Disney fans will like. After a few days there, I am flying down to WDW to eat at Ohana's and watch the July 4th fireworks from the Poly! Not going to parks, to hot and crowded, but just a fast 2 day trip. Made possible by the fact I work for an airline and can fly for free...

Will eat some shrimp and have a cold Kona for all of you!

Next update on Tuesday the 5th.

Happy 4th!

Day at Sea....

Up early, breakfast at Topsiders, and a good spot at the pool.

Most folks like to dress up their stateroom door with Disney related decorations. I went with another approach....

067.jpg

We went to the Martini Tasting. (We have never done any of the tastings)

It was in the back..with the yellow tablecloths....

068.jpg

Overall, we loved it. I have never had a Martini before and am not a big vodka and gin person. But for $15, you got 8oz of drinks (4 2oz)

069.jpg

069.jpg

They asked for volunteers. I did. And got to make (and drink) this extra one....

077.jpg

Needless to say, most people stayed after the 30 min demo to finish their drinks...it took about 2 hours for us, and most people that atteneded, to finish all that booze, but we had a great time doing it.

I would recomend this to anyone. Even if you don't like the hard stuff.

This was the one formal night...

081.jpg

083.jpg

A few mins later....

085.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

Good night....

095.jpg

Next up, Malta!

We took the advice of our Server, and had breakfast at Topsiders as we were coming in to port. (Not that we didn't do that most days anyway)

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

Looking back as we headed in

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

The Fort.

106.jpg

107.jpg

Must be nice....

108.jpg

109.jpg

The dock for cruise ships

110.jpg

112.jpg

The offered flights over the Island from the end of the cruise ship dock.

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Headed off the boat. We walked around the city for about 2-3 hours, but didn't really do anything. We wanted to go to the fort and the ww2 exhibit. But the fort was closed, and we couldn't find the WW2 thing.

118.jpg

The main street. It is the best of the all the ports for walking around. We really liked it.

121.jpg

122.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

You could see that the "British" once rulled the Island...

127.jpg

The town library...

128.jpg

The Palace...

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

This was cool....

133.jpg

And this....

134.jpg

135.jpg

The closed fort :(

136.jpg

Remants of WW2

137.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

The ship as viewed from the top the previous picture

145.jpg

Zoomed

146.jpg

Off the main path....

147.jpg

148.jpg

Getting closer. Headed back for lunch.

149.jpg

150.jpg

I am sure we did more stuff the rest of the day, but I forgot.

151.jpg

The sail in and out of Malta must be amazing.

I think waking up and sailing into a new port everyday is one of the highlights of European cruises.

Not that impressed with Palermo. We slept in, had a late breakfast, and got off the ship around 1030, with a plan to do a hop on hop of bus tour.

After paying 12 euro, we waited about 40 min for a bus to come. There was double the number of people waiting then they had space for. We got on, by working the crowd during the mad rush to the bus. Some people didn't even see what was coming. After we got on they cut off the line, and there were some unhappy people. But we left right away and didn't see how long it took for the next one to come. So here are some pics...

The bus stop was here. Its no Malta...

152.jpg

Random building on a hill outside of town. I used my zoom....

158.jpg

The....I can't remember

167.jpg

Old city walls

174.jpg

175.jpg

I just liked this tree

176.jpg

Random old men and a random old park

179.jpg

182.jpg

We never got off the bus, for fear of not getting back on

191.jpg

194.jpg

196.jpg

199.jpg

201.jpg

But after, we were told our ticket was good on the city bus system...so we got brave and took one 20 mins to the beach. This made the day. Much nicer out there.

185.jpg

185.jpg

203.jpg

205.jpg

206.jpg

We went "in" Cold, not New England cold, but FLA/Bahamas cold

207.jpg

208.jpg

Felt like we were somewhere else....

210.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg

213.jpg

214.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

On the way back, we drove down a street to the dock....

THIS IS MY FAVORITE PIC!!!

217.jpg

218.jpg

220.jpg

Captain John

003-1.jpg

We always like being on deck when we come in and out of a port

Some views leaving Palermo....kinda industrial...more so then any other...till Rome.

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter