US buys 300 million doses of COVID-19 VACCINE -- delivery starts Sept 2020

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
The US government is paying $1.2 billion for the development, manufacture, and delivery of 300 million doses of a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca.

Deliveries of the vaccine are expected to start in September 2020 and extend into 2021.

From the article:
“This contract with AstraZeneca is a major milestone in Operation Warp Speed’s work toward a safe, effective, widely available vaccine by 2021,” said Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-of-coronavirus-vaccine-being-developed-in-uk

Right now it sounds a bit pie in the sky really. There are probably over 100 different Covid-19 vaccine candidates being developed now and we're going to have to see what actually works. Whether or not AstraZeneca's manufacturing infrastructure can support a specific vaccine is another matter. Just giving a date of this September seems to be rather unrealistic since we don't know what vaccines work.

Right now it sounds a bit pie in the sky really. There are probably over 100 different Covid-19 vaccine candidates being developed now and we're going to have to see what actually works. Whether or not AstraZeneca's manufacturing infrastructure can support a specific vaccine is another matter. Just giving a date of this September seems to be rather unrealistic since we don't know what vaccines work.
If you read the story, you'll see that AstraZeneca has secured manufacturing commitments to produce more than 1 BILLION doses. There was another story a week or so ago about them negotiating deals with more than 200 manufacturers all over the world.

What remains to be seen is whether the vaccine is effective and safe. If that proves out, they have the capacity.

The answer is in the news story. Obviously nobody is going to pay for something unless it works and is delivered.

That’s not necessarily true. If they wait to know if the vaccine will work, it will take months to manufacture and waste valuable time. The govt is gambling that it may work. They want to have a stockpile ready in case it is effective. I think they are doing this with multiple vaccines.

That’s not necessarily true. If they wait to know if the vaccine will work, it will take months to manufacture and waste valuable time. The govt is gambling that it may work. They want to have a stockpile ready in case it is effective. I think they are doing this with multiple vaccines.
See above. They have the capacity.

So right now, they are in clinical trials, but are at least recognizing that they may not work. Also, those funds also went into helping with the development. We'll see what happens after the trials are completed.

Coming in October to a US zip code near you: zombies. And you thought Covid was bad.

They’ve been working for YEARS on cold vaccinations. Corona virus is from the same family of viruses that bring us the cold. This type of virus creates a short term immunity response, which is why you can get the cold again and again (unlike measles which triggers a long term immunity response). I’m not buying that a useful, safe vaccination can be produced by Fall. Oh, wait, I pay taxes so I guess I am buying it.

Coming in October to a US zip code near you: zombies. And you thought Covid was bad.

They’ve been working for YEARS on cold vaccinations. Corona virus is from the same family of viruses that bring us the cold. This type of virus creates a short term immunity response, which is why you can get the cold again and again (unlike measles which triggers a long term immunity response). I’m not buying that a useful, safe vaccination can be produced by Fall. Oh, wait, I pay taxes so I guess I am buying it.

Not necessarily. It's been known that there are hundreds of specific cold viruses out there, including rhinoviruses and coronaviruses. Many of them provide immunity for life (or at least decades) once one overcomes that particular virus. The main problem is that there are more viruses out there that someone might not have been infected with in the past.

The first vaccine for a common cold virus was produced in the late 50s and worked.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC534328/
If there's a vaccine for this particular coronavirus, then I would think it could be effective for life depending on what we find out about long-term immunity. But right now it would just be a guess.

The US government is paying $1.2 billion for the development, manufacture, and delivery of 300 million doses of a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca.

Deliveries of the vaccine are expected to start in September 2020 and extend into 2021.

From the article:
“This contract with AstraZeneca is a major milestone in Operation Warp Speed’s work toward a safe, effective, widely available vaccine by 2021,” said Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-of-coronavirus-vaccine-being-developed-in-uk
Just a heads up, you probably want to edit your thread title since it's misleading/ not true.
The 1.2 billion is for R+D not for the purchase of the vetted vaccine. There are also agreements with 3 other companies to assist with R and D.

Just a heads up, you probably want to edit your thread title since it's misleading/ not true.
The 1.2 billion is for R+D not for the purchase of the vetted vaccine. There are also agreements with 3 other companies to assist with R and D.
Part of the money is for R&D and part is for delivery of 300 million doses. Nothing misleading or untrue at all.

Time will tell whether this particular vaccine works out, but at least they are using some good planning and strategic management skills to support and streamline the entire process.

The entire area of treatment and prevention of Covid has thousands of moving parts. Nobody is saying that any one of those parts is THE answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter