US buys 300 million doses of COVID-19 VACCINE -- delivery starts Sept 2020

Your thread headline is therefore more than a bit misleading.
First of all, WELCOME TO THE DIS! You'll have a lot of fun and gain a lot of priceless information about Disney here.

Your question was asked and answered on page 1 of the thread.

Seems to be a bit of confusion. The above quote is not a question, it's a declarative statement.

The answer is in the news story. Obviously nobody is going to pay for something unless it works and is delivered.

Lately, there are a lot of people taking advantage of general panic and administrative inexperience to sell lots of things they cannot deliver. Advance payments have been made in many of these cases, and it remains to be seen whether or not we the taxpayers will manage to claw that money back.

Lately, there are a lot of people taking advantage of general panic and administrative inexperience to sell lots of things they cannot deliver. Advance payments have been made in many of these cases, and it remains to be seen whether or not we the taxpayers will manage to claw that money back.
Right, but this is almost certainly not one of those situations. As I posted above, AstraZeneca had announced previously that they had contracted with 200+ companies for manufacturing, so I'm sure they can deliver.

The questions will be effectiveness, safety, and approval date...not scale.

At the risk of straying off topic a little...is anyone else getting tired of Bill and Melinda Gates telling us what to think, read, do, etc in every imaginable life situation?

They apparently have the entire universe figured out!

What is wrong with their advice? If you don't like it you can chose not to follow it. They are private citizens just like you and me and don't have the authority to make laws, rules, or regulations.

At the risk of straying off topic a little...is anyone else getting tired of Bill and Melinda Gates telling us what to think, read, do, etc in every imaginable life situation?

No, not at all. That isn't what they do in the first place. They are people who actually care about the world and literally put their money where their mouth is.

What is wrong with their advice? If you don't like it you can chose not to follow it. They are private citizens just like you and me and don't have the authority to make laws, rules, or regulations.

What's wrong with their advice? First of all, they are advising elected officials on medical policy and they have no background, education or formal credentials to do so. They are clearly shaping public health policy and with some research you could see this.

Now, if he wants to advise on creation and treatment of computer viruses that would be in line with his expertise.
😂

What's wrong with their advice? First of all, they are advising elected officials on medical policy and they have no background, education or formal credentials to do so. They are clearly shaping public health policy and with some research you could see this.

Now, if he wants to advise on creation and treatment of computer viruses that would be in line with his expertise.
😂

He has been running a public health Non-Governmental Organization for 25 years. Not sure you can claim he has no background. I am not claiming that I agree with his advice but I would much rather public officials listen to someone that some background in public health rather than the talking heads on Cable TV that have zero experience.

UK came out with similar news last week with 30m doses hopefully by Sept for their 66m population.

In the aftermath I think a great job has been done in keeping supply chains running and hospitals/care not over run mostly. Could you imagine the civil unrest that might have ensued otherwise? It could've gotten very ugly. A real nightmare with people fighting over care or stressing over resources.

On the proactive side... balls were dropped everywhere at state levels and country levels worldwide which is most disappointing from the strongest nations. The how's and why's will be studied under many disciplines for years to come. The capability to handle it with a smaller price tag was there. I am thankful the situation's being salvaged by them working hard and investing heavy to get the upper hand on this virus.

On the bright side maybe this experience is what saves us from a worse catastrophe, like a novel pox. At minimum leaders need to have scientifically literate trusted members on their team. Nobody sounding the horn? Nobody properly brought it to their attention? We were able to read about it in the news back in late Jan and early Feb but somehow the gravity escaped daily briefings? The lack of urgency cost us all big time as did the lack of preparation. This lesson won't escape us anytime soon.

Last edited:

Anti-intellectuals and conspiracy theory proponents are certainly getting tired of them. They are some of the most generous philanthropists globally, donating literally billions to help others around the world. How dare they!

Anti-intellectuals and conspiracy theory proponents are certainly getting tired of them. They are some of the most generous philanthropists globally, donating literally billions to help others around the world. How dare they!
They certainly are a wonderfully generous couple, and they have moved mountains in some situations. And they are also both brilliant people. I don't think anybody discounts that. (Okay, some nut cases do, but not most normal people.)

I'm personally not "anti-intellectual," and I'm sure as Hell not a conspiracy theorist, lol. But I can go to the bathroom without Bill's help!

BTW, are the Tar Heels playing football this Fall? Gonna lose that first game! ;)

Last edited:
Yes but the problem is their mouths are injurious to our education system and their money even more so. In that case, I'd rather them not put their money where their mouths are.
The only thing I can recall about the Gates and education is subsiding computer equipment for schools. What else are they doing?

The only thing I can recall about the Gates and education is subsiding computer equipment for schools. What else are they doing?
Probably referring to Common Core, which Gates strongly supported.

Of course so did Jeb Bush, so... :confused3

Here's one for starters.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-melinda-gates-foundation-education-initiative-failure-2018-6
Oh and they didn't put their money where their mouths were. They put some of their money where their mouths were. And the taxpayers footed the rest of the bill and got nothing.
Good read and I plan to do more on the topic. DGD goes to a private school in part because I wasn't happy with the goals set up for her public school classes. Once that decision was made I really stopped paying attention to public lower grades and am now focusing on all high schools.

BTW, are the Tar Heels playing football this Fall? Gonna lose that first game! ;)

Who knows right now. Players are supposed to report some time in July if things don’t start ticking up again. Was down there for the victory in 2001. We’re the underdog (as usual in football), but that’s why they play the game. 😜

Probably referring to Common Core, which Gates strongly supported.

Of course so did Jeb Bush, so... :confused3
Common Core has never really affected my personal life (my kids graduated long before it was thought up in this country).
I do like the early introduction of Algebra in the Math component even though it threw me for a loop initially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter