US Dept of Transportation moving for new regulations barring emotional support animals on aircraft and requiring proof of training for service animals

I would like to see some type of OFFICIAL regulation & licensing for ADA support animals (dog or miniature horse) that a business could ask to see to verify that the animal is truly a support animal. The license would not have to reveal anything about WHY the person needs the support animal. Just that it is an actual support animal.
A great idea that I'm not sure could ever be put in place. Look at how how regulated handicapped parking placards and license plates are, and even with all that regulation the DMV does sweeps and finds that about half are being fraudulently used.

A great idea that I'm not sure could ever be put in place. Look at how how regulated handicapped parking placards and license plates are, and even with all that regulation the DMV does sweeps and finds that about half are being fraudulently used.

Wow half seems incredibly high to me, almost hard to believe.

I do wish there could be some kind of official licensing put into place, but I see a lot of unintended consequences with that idea that would be pretty challenging for people who legitimally need service animals and that's not great either.

Sorry, I just can't with all of it. My DS's university brought in a variety of animals to the "safe space" during finals. There were puppies, kittens, chickens and a horse. The point was for the students to interact with them and find which one was most comforting. It turned into a huge joke, and clearly was not medically necessary to support anybody. ENOUGH!! :sad2:

Paperwork or no, there has to be some limit. Support chickens are a bit of a trend right now. Filthy, smelly, disgusting chickens. This simply shouldn't be allowed anywhere in public, period.
They do it for stress relief for the kids, no other nefarious reason.

They do it for stress relief for the kids, no other nefarious reason.
Nefarious - I never said so, just rather ridiculous. The vast majority of the students do not suffer from mental illness and could/would find other ways to cope with the stress of exams. It's not a long stretch from a college student who enjoyed taking a little break with a fuzzy puppy on his/her lap deciding an emotional support animal would be a positive experience to take on a plane.

Nefarious - I never said so, just rather ridiculous. The vast majority of the students do not suffer from mental illness and could/would find other ways to cope with the stress of exams. It's not a long stretch from a college student who enjoyed taking a little break with a fuzzy puppy on his/her lap deciding an emotional support animal would be a positive experience to take on a plane.

I think for most kids that is actually quite a stretch... Schools bringing in animals to help students de-stress is the benefits of interaction without any of the responsibilities of care or ownership. Traveling with an animal is stressful, even if that animal is working and is well-trained for the experience. And I think most high school and college students are fully capable of understanding that difference.

My daughter's school does animal events during cram week and exams to give the students a bit of stress relief, but she doesn't know a single student who has or wants an ESA of their own. They want to pet a cute puppy as a relaxing break between study sessions, not try to fit walks and poop scooping and vet visits in between classes and work!

It's a fun stress reliever for the kids. And yes, it is a great leap from playing with a puppy for fun to thinking one needs an ESA.

I think the stress animal might be a bit over the top, but with that I got to say every stress animal I ever seen has really been well behaved

I would say we can do without these therapy animals totally. Its an emotional crutch. Somehow we dod without this for decades.

No one considers the people with allergiea that have to deal with pet hair flying all over on a closed airplane.

Even though they may help some people , I would say 90 % of these therapy animals are BS.

People mention the ADA a lot. It should be followed of course but it can be changed or at least better defined. Laws change.

There are two things at play. One is the law itself. The other is that laws often allow for the rulemaking process, which creates regulations that interpret the law. This process requires public input, a required notice period to submit comments, possibly public meetings, and even possible legal action if someone wants to fight a regulation on the basis of being illegal under the law.

They're stating a proposed rule and getting input on it before making the final rule.

Even with the ADA, there's nothing specific in the law that defines what is or isn't a service animal. The Dept of Justice regulations are that they include dogs and in a more limited sense miniature horses.

About half? Do you have a source to back up that claim? That sounds quite high.

It’s a fun thing they do for the students, that’s it. Colleges have done stress-relief events for kids for years. And my experience of getting an ice cream treat during finals week certainly didn’t lead me to think that I was entitled to have airlines provide me with sweet treats on every flight. You’re the one making a ridiculously long stretch.

I suffer from anxiety, and sometimes it is severe. We have a dog, and he does help my anxiety while I am at home. But I have no desire to take him everywhere with me. First off, he is massive at 85 lbs and isn’t done growing. Second, it would stress me out worrying that he was inconveniencing anyone. I find other ways to deal with my anxiety out in public.

There was a time that it was months between times to see a dog in the airport terminal. Now, it is equally rare to walk through a terminal and not see dog.

Perhaps a better job is being done to provide support for those that are struggling. It could be some are taking advantage by bringing the family pet along without having to pay. Or maybe....

Each is probably valid.

There was a time that it was months between times to see a dog in the airport terminal. Now, it is equally rare to walk through a terminal and not see dog.

Perhaps a better job is being done to provide support for those that are struggling. It could be some are taking advantage by bringing the family pet along without having to pay. Or maybe....

Each is probably valid.
I’ve not yet had the experience of being seated next to a person with a pet on-board and I pray I never do. I am not a pet lover and would intensely resent it.

I’ve not yet had the experience of being seated next to a person with a pet on-board and I pray I never do. I am not a pet lover and would intensely resent it.

A family member is highly allergic to cats and breathing becomes a struggle. If they were seated next to a cat on the airplane in those close confines it would be catastrophic. Under the current system, they would have to move their seat or get off the aircraft if another seat was not available. The cat would get to stay.

Who has a solution to this dilemma?

Look at the many websites that will sell a 'license' or other sites that describe the process. A quick search to 'buy a license for emotional support pet' had these excerpts on page 1:
  • The most common type of ESA is an Emotional Support Dog. Registration is NOT required for emotional support dogs! A legitimate ESA letter MUST be written by a licensed mental health professional. ESA rights: fly in cabin of airplanes and live in “no-pet” apartments without paying additional fees or deposits.
  • If you have an emotional disability, you can legally qualify for an ESA, short for emotional support animal. You must be certified as emotionally disabled by a psychologist, therapist, psychiatrist or other duly-licensed and/or certified mental health professional.

The criteria can be open and vague. Pair that with the increasing adoration of pets and it's ripe for abuse. Most businesses that are presented with an ESA will not question it in fear of litigation.

Many people consider pets as family
multiplied by
Many people who seek help from a mental health provider
= potentially 25% of the population accessing thru loose regulation

That's the problem in my eyes. We've seen it increase already but it could become as commonplace as strollers. What if everybody who can does get an ESA, are we prepared to accept animals all over the place?

We need to separate those who essentially cannot function without their ESA from the people who merely find it convenient.

We should define "trained": whether that is through a specific company or training method, plus recertification every 2 years for the animal. Like a driving test. And just as rabies tags are supposed to be available on demand (depends on state, it should be a universal law), the service animals' papers for training and vaccinations should also be available on demand.

No animals beyond service dogs unless the client has a deathly allergy to canines. Please explain what a mini horse does for a client that a dog cannot.

Emotional service animals are PETS. Feel free to quarantine oneself if you cannot leave the house for longer than 15 minutes without your pet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter