US Dept of Transportation moving for new regulations barring emotional support animals on aircraft and requiring proof of training for service animals

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ts-dot-issues-clarifying-guidance/1958817001/
Last summer the DOT decided it was time for more clarification when a lady caused a disruption after not being able to bring her ESA squirrel on the flight. This is a perfect example of why people are getting upset though. Who wants to risk being on a flight with an untrained squirrel? Leash or no leash that is a lethal hazard if the squirrel gets away and chews some important wires. This lady did not appreciate the risk she was forcing everyone else on the flight to share with her. She didn't appreciate the police either and found the incident justification to give them the finger. The DOT clarification:
  • Airlines cannot ban a specific breed or species of support animal, though they have some latitude to deny specific animals if they believe the animal could pose a threat. "Priority will be placed on ensuring that the most commonly recognized service animals (dogs, cats and miniature horses) are accepted for transport."
  • Airlines can require animal owners to provide documentation related to the animal's vaccination, training or behavior to determine whether an animal poses a threat to the health or safety of others. They can also require documentation for flights over eight hours related to an animal's bathroom habits but cannot have outright bans on animals on long flights.
  • Airlines can require animals within the cabin to be tethered.
  • Airlines can't require advance notice for those traveling with traditional service animals.
  • Airlines can require lobby check-in for emotional support animals.
  • Airlines can ask questions to determine a passenger's need for the animal, but must accept a medical form or letter that meets DOT's criteria as medical documentation of their need.
  • Airlines can't restrict passengers from traveling with more than one emotional support animal and also can't limit the total number of animals on any flight.
  • Airlines can deny animals that are too large or too heavy to be in the cabin and can prohibit animals younger than four months.
The bold one is interesting. Can you imagine ending up on a flight to an ESA convention?

"Emotional Crutch"? I guess it's okay to drink, do drugs, self harm, commit suicide due to emotional issues like anxiety, depression, and panic attacks, but to have a well behaved, well taken care of animal help you through an issue? Well, that's a crutch, for sure!

For decades, people suffered in silence. They dropped out of high school, college, and life. We locked them up in institutions, for goodness sake!

Pet hair and dander comes in on people's clothing as well. If someone is that sensitive, the attendants should be told, or even better, the airline told ahead of time. Arrangements can be made.
I’ve worked in mental health for years. None of that is fixed. And, I would say as ubiquitous as ESAs seem to be these days, we should see a significant reduction in those things, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t one.

I was at the airport a few weeks ago, and there was an "untrained" dog. A smallish breed that kept barking and carrying on. Now most true service dogs are well trained, and don't bark forever. I was thankful that the dog and owner weren't on my flight. And don't they usually get the bulkhead seats?
Dogs are allowed to travel on most airlines. You pay a fee. You don’t have to lie & say they’re an ESA or SA. So, seeing dogs in airports does not mean the owners are claiming them to be ESAs.

Dogs are allowed to travel on most airlines. You pay a fee. You don’t have to lie & say they’re an ESA or SA. So, seeing dogs in airports does not mean the owners are claiming them to be ESAs.
The difference being those pets that are paid for to fly are in a carrier. Not just on a leash.

The difference being those pets that are paid for to fly are in a carrier. Not just on a leash.
Well they’re supposed to be, but just b/c someone takes them out the carrier maybe to take them to the bathroom of something doesn’t mean they’re claiming them to be an ESA.

Well they’re supposed to be, but just b/c someone takes them out the carrier maybe to take them to the bathroom of something doesn’t mean they’re claiming them to be an ESA.
Certainly, but the question would be, if someone has their pet in a carrier for flying, and does remove it to go to the bathroom, where does the little darling do it's business? Inside the security area, I've never seen any pet areas.

Certainly, but the question would be, if someone has their pet in a carrier for flying, and does remove it to go to the bathroom, where does the little darling do it's business? Inside the security area, I've never seen any pet areas.

Every airport I've been in has animal relief areas past security. They are oftentimes kind of tucked in there down a little hallway so most people don't notice them. It's usually just a small area with the fake grass, doggie bags, and a trash can.

Every airport I've been in has animal relief areas past security. They are oftentimes kind of tucked in there down a little hallway so most people don't notice them. It's usually just a small area with the fake grass, doggie bags, and a trash can.

Quite a few even set up fake fire hydrants. Some are indoors while others are outdoors. This is one at Oakland International Airport past security, complete with a sink for the humans to wash up.

https://www.oaklandairport.com/oak-airport-opens-first-post-security-service-animal-relief-area/
SARA-1-300x225.jpg
SARA-2-300x225.jpg
SARA-3-300x225.jpg

A lot of international airports would have these just for the agricultural inspection dogs.

Remember ADA doesn’t require SDs to be pro trained. And a lot of SD owners can’t afford pro trained because they are extremely expensive. What kind of certificate would be deemed acceptable?
I have no issue with someone wants to train their own dog and does a good job. I don't think there should be a professional training requirement, I think something more along the lines of a test that the handler and dog take together(along the lines of the canine good citizen test) that can be used to issue licenses for dogs to be allowed in public areas. If they can behave in an appropriate manner, then they can be issued a license.
I do think there needs to be some sort of official licensing system
so ride share owners can know they have a well behaved service animal in their cars, airlines can know the dog is vetted for behavior, etc. So no one with a legitimate animal is denied access.
I agree. Much like taking a driver's license test. It doesn't matter how/where you learn, as long as you can pass the test.

This 100%^
It makes no sense whatsoever for these dogs to not have a process to be licensed.

I agree there does need to be a limit. I'm not sure "dogs only" should be it. A number of kids we know from 4H work with an organization that uses rabbits as emotional support animals, and they're quite well suited for it. They don't need a lot of training, just good socialization, they're neat animals that are easily litter trained, they're quiet and they don't tend to cause disruption. I've seen them work wonders with kids with autism and major anxiety. But more and more, they're being excluded under rules aimed at people who want to call their chickens or peacocks or pigs "service animals", because it is easier to write a "dogs only" rule than to address the range of reasonable support animals.
It's a good point. I would think the likloehood of someone being frightened of rabbits is lower than dogs as well. I dont know about allergies to their fur.

"Emotional Crutch"? I guess it's okay to drink, do drugs, self harm, commit suicide due to emotional issues like anxiety, depression, and panic attacks, but to have a well behaved, well taken care of animal help you through an issue? Well, that's a crutch, for sure!

For decades, people suffered in silence. They dropped out of high school, college, and life. We locked them up in institutions, for goodness sake!

Pet hair and dander comes in on people's clothing as well. If someone is that sensitive, the attendants should be told, or even better, the airline told ahead of time. Arrangements can be made.
So people with sensitive allergies need to sort arrangements but people who need emotional support better not be inconvenienced?
I mean sure anxiety can be difficult but breathing is pretty crucial.

Any time I fly on a plane, I have brief moment where I worry that someone might have an emotional support cat or rabbit and I will have an allergy/asthma attack.
Exactly. And how do we as a society get to determine whose needs outweighs the other.
Is it a first in first serve? If you book first you get to tick the severe pet allergy box and no animals are allowed? Or they tick first and you are warned that there are pets in the flight?

I mean seriously people are asking g and generally receiving support for the idea of adults only flights, or being able to choose seats away from kids. Surely the same could be arranged for any animals.

Airlines can't require advance notice for those traveling with traditional service animals.
I dont see why not? Would you not know your guide dog was coming when you book your ticket.
What good reason would there be to give no notice?

I've traveled on an airplane with a cat. I did not claim him as emotional service. It was before 9/11 - he fit in a flat cat carrier designed to sit under my seat. If on any leg of my flight my seat mate had been allergic I would have willingly switched. I too applaud the move by the TSA - service animals, professionally and/or home trained have a very important use - and these ESAs cheapen that. I needed a note from a vet saying he was healthy enough to fly - and anti-anxiety pills so he wouldn't make a lot of noise. I'm sure plane noises would have hurt his ears, too.

I just hope that those who really need the animals are able to get whatever certification they need. Yes, there are way too many people taking advantage of the ESA system that don’t need to be using it, but hopefully those who legitimately need it will be able to easily get what they need to do so.

The problem is, the fee is $125. At least, that's what it cost on American when we moved 4 years ago. You also give up your right to a carry-on, the pet carrier counts as your carry-on. We flew down 3 cats and a dog when we moved. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience for a number of reasons. One poor cat yowled, every second he was in the air, the rest were just miserable.

We ended up bringing wee pads for the dog, and had her do business on them in a family restroom. While there are animal relief stations, they are outside security, so you have to come back through after using them. In my case, I had the dog, a cat in a carrier whose zipper broke at the beginning of the journey (it was holding together, but iffy), a 12yo and a 9yo. And the one carry-on we actually could bring. Going through security an additional time just wasn't going to happen for us.

Overall, it was one of the worst travel days of my life, and I can't imagine putting myself or my pets through that again, merely for companionship. I'm not a stranger to anxiety issues, so I'm sympathetic, but there has to be a better way than schlepping pets onto airplanes.

My airport has animal relief areas outside the 2 terminals with one animal relief area inside just one of the terminals (so only certain airlines have access to that unfortunately). A new airport is being built as a single-terminal and it's probable they'll have more inside animal relief areas since it will be a new build airport.

You might look up and see if your home airport has one--it's possible they do but maybe they are more outside.

Animal relief areas aren't just for what someone may consider non-essential pet and ESA animal travel. They are also nice to have for service animals even if service animals are often trained to go in the lesser desired ways and conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter