Using Points for the DVC "Collections" - updated 9/5/2019

IMO DVC uses any point use other than DVC resort stays as a marketing point. They really don't want you to use points outside of the resorts so they set the point use high. In addition, they added the $95 booking fee. Should DCL cabin availability become scarce, DVC booking will become restricted like it was a couple of years ago..

:earsboy: Bill

I could see us doing other things occasionally with our points just for a change. I also would like to use them someday to stay at POR just the two of us as that is where we stayed on our first trip when my adult daughter was a toddler and I was pregnant with our teenage son just for a trip to memory lane.

We are still fairly new to DVC, but I had a last minute trip over Easter and we had booked a nearby hotel in Anaheim for a convention. We called DVC to see if there was any chance to get a room at VGC (we knew that wasn't going to happen, but you never know, lol). There wasn't, but offered up the hotel side of DGC or Disneyland hotel. We took the DL hotel and cancelled our reservation as they gave us all money back. So, no, it may not have been the best use of points on a dollar to dollar, but we didn't look it as that. We looked at it as a $700 savings, because what we had put aside for hotel, we now had to spend elsewhere. So we went to DL, lol!

Friends of ours just left our house and they are talking about going to Cabo for a few weeks in February 2017. I see that Cabo is a destination that we can use Disney points for. What is the first thing I need to do to try to use points to stay there then?

Bobbi

There are some nice resorts but Cabo is an easy trade, it's easy for RCI in general. There is nothing in Mx that's reasonable to exchange for DVC because you're getting something you could get for a lot less on cash, the divide is simply too wide IMO. I'd look at other methods to get there maybe renting from an owner or if you know someone who is an II or RCI member, working through them. If looking at timeshares, some deposit a full 2yrs out so I'd start planning now and once you're set, be ready to reserve. The Grand Mayan is available now and one could get up to 2 weeks due to their limitations and assuming one hasn't stayed or planned to stay in any of their resorts anywhere in a 3 yr period. One option is to stay part of the time in San Jose Del Cabo and the rest in either the corridor or Cabo San Lucas if going multiple weeks. Cabo is likely the only place I could get my wife to go back to MX right now.

Thanks Dean, I understand. I will look into the "renting from owner" issue.

Thanks Dean, I understand. I will look into the "renting from owner" issue.
I'd look at San Francisco Exchange and Trading Places International, both independent exchange companies as well as sites along the line of VRBO (not sure if they do MX), Redweeks and the like. SFX and TPI often get resorts for rental, esp MX for the same reasons I mentioned above. They also might be a situation where doing an exchange using DVC might move into the reasonable category as one might be able to get 2 for 1. I'd think one could get out for around $2000 or less for 2 weeks in a 1 or 2 BR, less if they know someone who works with RCI routinely and can get them something easily. RCI will allow the third party to pay the exchange fee and guest certificate fee, under $300 per week. I know our 2 week trip a few years ago cost us around $650 total (IIRC) including indirect costs for a 1 & 2 BR at the Grande Mayan, an exchange that would literally have been 1500 DVC points because that resort is in the Registry Collection. We're likely too far out for most resorts but the GM has availability currently. I'd investigate and evaluate options so that when you're ready and the window opens, you can proceed. MX and AI's tend to be extreme situations where exchange values are concerned.

I think that only looking at the monetary gain of renting the points instead of using the points for the Disney Collection isn't sufficient data. If it is more convenient or less of a hassle to just book a Disney Collection item with points, why not do it that way? They are the owner's points and they can do what they want with them. There are risks and potential hassles involved with renting. And you risk your membership it you accept monies for a transfer of points. Why not use your points as you want? Planning and manipulating the use of your points is fun or challenging for some owners but not for others. Others are more interested in the easy method of just paying with their points. And I do not see any problem with that, they aren't my points. Right now I do not have any extra points to use anywhere other than for a DVC resort, so I do not have to worry about these First World Problems, as my nephew would say.

I think that only looking at the monetary gain of renting the points instead of using the points for the Disney Collection isn't sufficient data. If it is more convenient or less of a hassle to just book a Disney Collection item with points, why not do it that way? They are the owner's points and they can do what they want with them. There are risks and potential hassles involved with renting. And you risk your membership it you accept monies for a transfer of points. Why not use your points as you want? Planning and manipulating the use of your points is fun or challenging for some owners but not for others. Others are more interested in the easy method of just paying with their points. And I do not see any problem with that, they aren't my points. Right now I do not have any extra points to use anywhere other than for a DVC resort, so I do not have to worry about these First World Problems, as my nephew would say.
Anyone can do what they want with their points but my statement about no reasonable exchanges to MX using DVC points still stands.

We have done 3 cruises on points. One 7 night and it was 232points total for 2 of us. One 5 night 212 points total for 3 of us and one 3 night for 166 for two of us. All were ocean view with the 5 night just an inside. The points have gone up considerably for the 7 night cruise. So I don't expect to do that again on points. But the ease of just paying 95 and you're on the boat worked for us.

We have done 3 cruises on points. One 7 night and it was 232points total for 2 of us. One 5 night 212 points total for 3 of us and one 3 night for 166 for two of us. All were ocean view with the 5 night just an inside. The points have gone up considerably for the 7 night cruise. So I don't expect to do that again on points. But the ease of just paying 95 and you're on the boat worked for us.

Many use their points for things other than DVC resorts, hey they bought the points, they can do what they want. Usually it's not a great financial use but you need to check it out as you have done.

For others reading DCL availability is based on empty cabins, Disney wants a full ship, sometimes a great cabin is available but usually they are cabins that are last to book. Having 4 ships in the fleet has improved DVC DCL availability, more cabins, more availability.

:earsboy: Bill

It isn't a mainstream use of points obviously but for us as international owners if there is a year where we are constrained and can't get to a Dvc resort it is a nice alternative to allow us to use our points up.

I know we could rent and pay cash but when you throw exchange rates into the mix it can be easier just to book a collection.

Last edited:
Time is money to me, I do whatever is the least hassle. We have owned our DVC for almost 18 years, we paid cash and have long since recouped that in savings. I have no desire to rent my points even letting a broker do it. I still have to contact the broker, book the reservation, get that info back to the broker, add requests, Magical Express etc. It is not worth it to me. At this point the value of my points is my dues so yes put me in the category of someone what would use them however I want.

I will say though I don't even see us having any left over after trips to WDW, HHI or Vero Beach.

To me how a member uses their points is very personal and never would even presume to say using them a certain way is a poor use of them. To me it's like purchasing a car. A car for all practical purposes is to get from point A to point B, so the logical use of one's money would be to buy the least expensive version of what fits.

Sorry but I like my luxury ride. :)

Sorry but I like my luxury ride. :)

Except using cash or using points doesn't give you a different ride. It's the same car. You just went thru a different sales person. ;)

This is just a general comment - not specifically at you Sammie because you're not the only one who just wants to use their points. But some seem to take the "poor financial use of points" and morph that into "you can't tell me what to do with my points". But it isn't that. Every person should definitely do as they wish and even work out the financials themselves but in talking about the majority of exchanges the numbers over and over point one way - that an owner could rent out points and pay for the same product they would otherwise exchange for and almost always end up with cash left in their pockets. IF one wishes to disregard those numbers that's fine but there are a lot of people that wouldn't want to and may not even realize the possibility. Some specials pop up now and then but if one cares about the maximizing financially what they get from their DVC exchange it's not badly given advice to consider and for owners to work out the numbers for themselves.

For me, besides running numbers and seeing I could have cash left I also do not like the limited flexibility that an exchange comes with. If it were a better deal then maybe I'd still do it but I'd be more likely to pay more for the same product if it had the "flexibility" option as part of the package. That would be my luxury premium.

Except using cash or using points doesn't give you a different ride. It's the same car. You just went thru a different sales person. ;)

This is just a general comment - not specifically at you Sammie because you're not the only one who just wants to use their points. But some seem to take the "poor financial use of points" and morph that into "you can't tell me what to do with my points". But it isn't that. Every person should definitely do as they wish and even work out the financials themselves but in talking about the majority of exchanges the numbers over and over point one way - that an owner could rent out points and pay for the same product they would otherwise exchange for and almost always end up with cash left in their pockets. IF one wishes to disregard those numbers that's fine but there are a lot of people that wouldn't want to and may not even realize the possibility. Some specials pop up now and then but if one cares about the maximizing financially what they get from their DVC exchange it's not badly given advice to consider and for owners to work out the numbers for themselves.

For me, besides running numbers and seeing I could have cash left I also do not like the limited flexibility that an exchange comes with. If it were a better deal then maybe I'd still do it but I'd be more likely to pay more for the same product if it had the "flexibility" option as part of the package. That would be my luxury premium.

You missed my point. Buying a budget car might be the best use of my money but it's not what I want. Renting points and taking the money and paying for non DVC vacations might seem to be the best use of the money, but I want the "deluxe" car ie: it is more about what I want and less about the financial aspect of it. I want the convenience and comfort of no hassle.

I guess I just find it interesting that it seems at least to me that DVC itself is not probably a good use financially of one's money so why do we even discuss this about how to use points. To me it is a moot point because again as Mike said, it depends on how much value you assign your points. The trouble to rent them to me personally does not offset the financial gain. I work from home and if I deduct the time I would invest in renting, I know I would not come out ahead. I definitely think all members should work out the numbers for themselves and decide if the monetary gain, if there is any, is worth the hassle I associate with renting. Again time is money to me.

Last edited:
You missed my point. Buying a budget car might be the best use of my money but it's not what I want. Renting points and taking the money and paying for non DVC vacations might seem to be the best use of the money, but I want the "deluxe" car ie: it is more about what I want and less about the financial aspect of it. I want the convenience and comfort of no hassle.

I guess I just find it interesting that it seems at least to me that DVC itself is not probably a good use financially of one's money so why do we even discuss this about how to use points. To me it is a moot point because again as Mike said, it depends on how much value you assign your points. The trouble to rent them to me personally does not offset the financial gain. I work from home and if I deduct the time I would invest in renting, I know I would not come out ahead. I definitely think all members should work out the numbers for themselves and decide if the monetary gain, if there is any, is worth the hassle I associate with renting. Again time is money to me.

I actually understood your point but don't think it's a comparison for using DVC points to book outside of DVC. You're comparing choosing between two different products (economy and luxury car) to trading the points vs paying cash where you end up with the exact same product. You like to get "more" with your luxury car - leather seats, heated seats, automatic headlights etc. In the trade you get the exact same bed - ie, they don't bring in the pillow top because you booked via a trade.

And yes, DVC is a luxury product, not a necessity to even go to Disney. But it doesn't mean one can't be informed that DVC points have a rental value and that value almost always is more than procuring that room or vacation thru a trade. And I'm still not saying anyone can't handle their points however they see fit. You use your points because you value your time more than the cash difference. But you also know that there's a difference. Not everyone does. And the amount of points will come into play. I'd imagine at some amount you might have a tipping point too. $100 in your pocket might not be worth it but what if you'd have $500 or $1,000 more in your pocket just for taking 1 hour to sign up with a broker to rent your points and make the reservation? It's easy to know what you'll get from a broker so it's pretty easy to figure out what the difference will be.

Sammie, for the car example, it'd be like going in to the car dealership and paying well over MSRP when you could have bought it for well under but with some extra work and hassle but not that much (say through Costco or similar). As for the financial aspects, one can do as they want but the points have an inherent financial value today which is the potential rental return. One simply has to decide whether it's worth fooling with it or not. Using the car example, let's say the car were bought for $30K and one's employer paid them to use their own car and over time those payments paid for the car completely including any and all expenses. Now it's time to get a new car so what do you do with the old one. It's cost to you now is zero but it's value is still $10K. You could just give it away, trade it in or sell it yourself and let's say you have a neighbor offering you the $10K cash but the real value of a trade in was only $6K. In your example you would give it away or at best trade it in rather than fool with selling it to your neighbor. You'd be saying the $4K wasn't worth fooling with to do the private sale. I agree with Kathy that no one is telling another how to use their points though some seem to see it that way. My goal is they know where they stand so they can make an informed decision.

Sorry but I like my luxury ride.

Buying a budget car might be the best use of my money but it's not what I want.

This isn't the right analogy. You're getting the same luxury car either way. But, using points directly is like walking in to the dealership and paying whatever they ask, including buying the extra floor mats and logo travel coffee mug. Renting points out and paying cash is like doing a bunch of research on market pricing, getting quotes from several dealers' sales offices, and negotiating hard when you settle on the dealer who can give you the best deal. It's more work, but less expensive.

That's not to say that the former is necessarily a bad idea. Right now, I have two kids in high school, each of whom has a couple of sports, one in band, the other in orchestra, etc. etc., so I'm much more constrained by time than by money. I pay a little more for convenience in many day-to-day activities so I have the time to drive them hither and yon, watch games, etc. In a couple of years, they will both be in college, so the dynamic will be reversed. I'll have much more "free" time, but no money to do interesting things with it!

IMO, there should be two different discussions for this topic The value proposition is much different for those who purchased DVC many years ago and have long since "broken even", especailly if they did not fiance. I agree with Sammie - sometimes, the convenience of using MS for your DCL TA is worth it!

OTOH, I can't imagine any rational reason that would allow one to purchase points at $168 each to use for cruising - but then, I would never hire a VIP Guide at $$$$$ per hour to shepherd my group around the parks, either. :teeth:

The value proposition is much different for those who purchased DVC many years ago and have long since "broken even"
You'd get the same amount for renting your points as someone who just bought them at the same resort, so the opportunity cost of using points directly vs. renting them out and paying cash is the same for both.

You (probably*) get a better ROI for renting than a new purchaser, but that's a different question.

*: This depends on inflation, etc. but I suspect it is true without sitting down and doing the math.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts