Using running app for turn-by-turn directions?

Keels

The Official Keels of RunDisney
Is there anything out there that I can use to put in turn-by-turn directions for a race course that will play nice with other running apps?

I tried turn-by-turn directions on Google Maps today and it was kinda of a PITA not only to set up, but it drained quite a bit of battery combined with the other apps I use during a run.

We're taking an impromptu trip to NYC next week and I've got some long runs to do, so I was hoping to replicate the NYC Half and Full courses for my runs, but I'm not really sure the best way to do that ...

I can't help with the question (although I have often wondered the same thing), but just a warning: GPS can sometimes act a little wonky in Manhattan. Because of the tall buildings or something. Usually it's okay, but I have had some problems in the past. So it's probably best to have the directions written down somewhere (or saved on your phone) just in case.
Also ... in terms of the full course, you can't do it from the starting line. I'm 99% sure that the Verrazano Bridge (aka how the race gets from Staten Island to Brooklyn) isn't open to pedestrians. Not sure off the top of my head if there's anything else you won't be able to do, but I'm guessing that some of it will require navigating through a lot of pedestrian traffic.

(Also ... hi! If you need anything while you're in NYC, I should be around next week and I'd be happy to help you out if I can!)

Pretty cool idea to replicate the courses!

Spoke with a guy this weekend that was talking about something called fitnotix
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fitnotix-virtual-fitness-lifestyle-trainer#/
(scroll down on the link for the turn by turn pinpoint section)

Been told Google maps works with Mapmyfitness.
RunGo app in the iTunes store uses turn by turn and you can plug in your own course.

Not really sure if any of these work but maybe worth a look?

It was exactly what @SarahDisney mentioned about GPS in the city proper is why I was looking for an alternative.

And as for the course, I really only need to get 18 or so miles out of it, so I *think* I can come up with that much, or at least do a switchback a couple of times on the Brooklyn Bridge to help me get to some of the distance.

I know I can get a 10K and the half course done no problem with no alterations.

I was thinking Strava might do it - but thanks, @Slogger - I'll check out those other apps!

Sarah - it's either Monday-Friday next week or the week after, but I'll be there! Let's meet up - I can come to you! All I have on the books is running and seeing a few shows.

Just as an fyi you can't really replicate the NYC full. There are a few sections of the course that you can't access by foot on non-marathon or half course days.

Also it is going tl be freezing so dress for the weather and be prepared for crowds. Depending on when you run things may be shadey as in not so safe. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and there was a shooting just outside my apartment last week.

You can get 6 uninterupted miles on the Central Park big loop. You can also get a few more by using the bike path that goes around 3/4 of Manhattan Island.

Just as an fyi you can't really replicate the NYC full. There are a few sections of the course that you can't access by foot on non-marathon or half course days.

Also it is going tl be freezing so dress for the weather and be prepared for crowds. Depending on when you run things may be shadey as in not so safe. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and there was a shooting just outside my apartment last week.

You can get 6 uninterupted miles on the Central Park big loop. You can also get a few more by using the bike path that goes around 3/4 of Manhattan Island.

Yeah, I've run the 10K look in Central Park quite often. It's a great route.

At max, on my longest day I just need to come up with 18 miles - I was going to go off the marathon course on Manhattan proper and hope that with some switchbacks, I could get to that distance. My friend with NYRR also sent me an 18 and 20-mile map that they use. I just was hoping I could input it somewhere easily without having to build a Google Map.

Do you have mapmyrun? You can grab routes from there (I believe they have NY Half and Full already) and they do turn by turn as well. Might be apart of the premium subscription only though.

I was also going to suggest mapmyrun. Although I'm not sure if you are hoping to have it say the turns or merely be able to see them. I'm not sure it will say the route, but I do know you can see the route and it track you on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!