Vaccination in lieu of test?

tidefan

DIS Veteran
In the coming months, as the vaccines roll out, do we think HI would accept proof of vaccination for travel, or would one still have to get tested as well? Anyone on the island heard their plans?

The idea of allowing vaccinated people to bypass quarantine was thrown around and mentioned by the Lieutenant Governor sometime back in the summer/fall. Now that the vaccination is actually here, there hasn’t been any serious discussion about possible exemptions. The state leg convenes next month so we may hear more then.

We have a trip planned for May. I am hoping that this will be the case since we are planning on getting vaccinated. Especially with the horror stories I have been reading with people not getting their results back in time. We have to fly to California the day before because we live in the middle of nowhere. So we have to take the test 2 days before we leave our house. The proof of vaccination would be so much easier.

We have a trip planned for May. I am hoping that this will be the case since we are planning on getting vaccinated. Especially with the horror stories I have been reading with people not getting their results back in time. We have to fly to California the day before because we live in the middle of nowhere. So we have to take the test 2 days before we leave our house. The proof of vaccination would be so much easier.
I saw yesterday that Alaska Airlines was now doing a "pre-clearance" program and that they may roll that out to other airlines in the near future. Here's to hoping that Southwest is on that list by March!

I’m really hoping this will be the case too. I’m mentally preparing myself to still have to take a test but it would be great if they end up switching to either a test of proof of vaccination. We aren’t going until June or July 2022 so lots of time and hopefully some things will be smoothed out by then.

I don’t think they will allow proof of vaccination instead of testing until there is enough evidence to show that vaccinated people can’t transmit the virus.
There is starting to be evidence of that:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...rotect-against-coronavirus-infection-n1251237

"But there is also evidence suggesting that just one dose of Moderna's may stop the virus's spread. A second document published on the FDA website Tuesday shows asymptomatic infection was reduced by 63 percent after the first shot."

I’m mentally preparing myself to still have to take a test

I guess what are you preparing yourself for?

There is starting to be evidence of that:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...rotect-against-coronavirus-infection-n1251237

"But there is also evidence suggesting that just one dose of Moderna's may stop the virus's spread. A second document published on the FDA website Tuesday shows asymptomatic infection was reduced by 63 percent after the first shot."

Except the vaccine isn't even 100% so is the non-transmission 100%? Seems strange to now remove a simple test requirement as we hopefully are past the mid-way point of the pandemic.

Except the vaccine isn't even 100% so is the non-transmission 100%? Seems strange to now remove a simple test requirement as we hopefully are past the mid-way point of the pandemic.

I’m mentally preparing myself to still have to take a Covid test to be able to travel to Hawaii and the stress that comes along with having thousands of dollars tied into a vacation that I wasn’t totally sure I’d be able to go on if I got a positive test or if test results didn’t come back in time. The stress that goes along with what I just stated is what I’d be mentally preparing myself for. I think that’s pretty obvious.

The mask wearing and testing will still be a thing until we get a majority of people immunized. That is pretty much the standard for immunizations, need the majority. That is why we are now seeing things like measles returning in some areas because too many anti-vaxxers are not vaccinating their children. It works if the majority of us do it.

I’m mentally preparing myself to still have to take a Covid test to be able to travel to Hawaii and the stress that comes along with having thousands of dollars tied into a vacation that I wasn’t totally sure I’d be able to go on if I got a positive test or if test results didn’t come back in time. The stress that goes along with what I just stated is what I’d be mentally preparing myself for. I think that’s pretty obvious.

Yes this exactly my thought too. Our missed 2020 Aulani spring break trip is currently sitting on the books for first week of April 2021. After waiting around the airport hoping my test results popped into my inbox before the last minute I had to check my bags and then taking the sad cab ride home when they didn't for our trip to Maui on Thanksgiving, I am not sure I can do that stress again. I certainly wouldn't do it without two forms of testing and do I really have the time to run around and get two different tests done for the whole family for a vacation.

We are *fingers crossed* looking into going back to Hawaii in April 2022, and it will be interesting to see what is happening with COVID testing/vaccines and mask wearing by then!

:confused3

Yes this exactly my thought too. Our missed 2020 Aulani spring break trip is currently sitting on the books for first week of April 2021. After waiting around the airport hoping my test results popped into my inbox before the last minute I had to check my bags and then taking the sad cab ride home when they didn't for our trip to Maui on Thanksgiving, I am not sure I can do that stress again. I certainly wouldn't do it without two forms of testing and do I really have the time to run around and get two different tests done for the whole family for a vacation.
This is why I cancelled my New Year's trip to see my family. My mom (who lives on Maui) went to visit my brother in OK for Thanksgiving, and they changed the rules while she was there so she had a test set up but it was disqualified or something and she had to quarantine anyways after returning home to Maui. She said it was so stressful for her she didn't want my family to try to come home like usual so she wouldn't be worried about whether or not our tests worked out. Although she was very disappointed because she hasn't seen her 2 year old granddaughter in over a year.

My son's been to Maui to homeschool with the grands twice since this began and will be heading back in January, but he doesn't want to take a test, is fine with quarantining since my dad will go get take out of all his favorite foods anyways. I'm jealous because I have only seen my island with 1/2 residents, 1/2 tourists (and seasonally 75% tourists, 25% residents) in the 25 years I lived there ... never seen it as uncrowded as it has been this 9 months.

This is why I cancelled my New Year's trip to see my family. My mom (who lives on Maui) went to visit my brother in OK for Thanksgiving, and they changed the rules while she was there so she had a test set up but it was disqualified or something and she had to quarantine anyways after returning home to Maui. She said it was so stressful for her she didn't want my family to try to come home like usual so she wouldn't be worried about whether or not our tests worked out. Although she was very disappointed because she hasn't seen her 2 year old granddaughter in over a year.

My son's been to Maui to homeschool with the grands twice since this began and will be heading back in January, but he doesn't want to take a test, is fine with quarantining since my dad will go get take out of all his favorite foods anyways. I'm jealous because I have only seen my island with 1/2 residents, 1/2 tourists (and seasonally 75% tourists, 25% residents) in the 25 years I lived there ... never seen it as uncrowded as it has been this 9 months.

One key to less stress is to travel after the holiday season is over and the testing labs aren't slammed with tests. We had been thinking of going but decided to hold off due to not wanting to fly all the way from the east coast right now. Just make sure your test is approved on the Hawaii travel site. We had planned on using Vault and Walgreens.

I got my first dose last week (healthcare worker) and was wondering about the card’s potential utility. At present vaccine cards are a simple piece of paper issued from the county where the hospital is located with a line for your handwritten name and a sticker with the lot given. Other lines on mine are blank. Seems flimsy and easy to copy.

I suppose they could work a solution for electronic submission of the front and back. Also, the proof of vaccination does become more robust from commercial places later.

As others have posted, it may not prevent transmissibility. Still to be determined there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter