Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Does anyone know if Chef TJ is still at Trail's End? Specifically, will he be there in September? I cancelled my dining reservation as I had read he was moving to Cape May.

I’m heading to Disney in a few weeks with my vegetarian daughter. I’d like to get opinions on the following ADRs, as well as any favorite dishes you might suggest at them. Much appreciated!
  • Spice Road Table
  • La Hacienda
  • Spirit of Aloha
  • Jiko
  • Tiffins
  • Si-Fi

Just a heads up to anyone planning on eating at beaches & cream. I was planning on ordering the grilled cheese & tomato soup. My boyfriend always tells the staff that I am a vegetarian when they ask if we have alergies. (like being a vegararian is a medical condition.) luckily he does this because the waitress informed us that the base for the soup is chicken base.
I asked I could sub the soup out for fries and she said I could but both the fries and onion rings are both but in the same oil that meat is cooked in.
I was and still am very annoyed by the experience.

There are a lot of shared fryers in Disney, if it bothers you or someone has a specific allergy, always ask.

Just a heads up to anyone planning on eating at beaches & cream. I was planning on ordering the grilled cheese & tomato soup. My boyfriend always tells the staff that I am a vegetarian when they ask if we have alergies. (like being a vegararian is a medical condition.) luckily he does this because the waitress informed us that the base for the soup is chicken base.
I asked I could sub the soup out for fries and she said I could but both the fries and onion rings are both but in the same oil that meat is cooked in.
I was and still am very annoyed by the experience.

Thanks for posting about the soup. I've said this on here before, but my pet peeve is when places use meat stock/broth in an otherwise vegetarian soup.

There are a lot of shared fryers in Disney, if it bothers you or someone has a specific allergy, always ask.
Well that is disturbing. The waitress was really awesome, she even checked with the pool bar to see if they cooked their fries in the same oil as meat and they do. I realize it doesn’t bother everyone but I would be extremely grossed out if my fries ever had pieces of chicken nuggets in them.
This just limits my options at Disney even further.
On a side note, I had the best experience at ohana. They brought me out the standard veggie stir fry and noodles but also made me a huge veggie bowl with tofu. It was delicious. I was very impressed.

I'm aware that Chef TJ is not at Trails End these days, but we still have a reservation. Has anyone been recently? How is it in his absence?

I'm aware that Chef TJ is not at Trails End these days, but we still have a reservation. Has anyone been recently? How is it in his absence?

My wife and I went a couple years ago and had the bad luck of going when Chef TJ was on vacation (the NERVE of that man!). It was good, but nothing like the reports I'd seen of Chef TJ meals.

My wife and I went a couple years ago and had the bad luck of going when Chef TJ was on vacation (the NERVE of that man!). It was good, but nothing like the reports I'd seen of Chef TJ meals.
We had Chef TJ last year.....nothing will compare to that!! I wonder what the meal will be like now

I’m heading to Disney in a few weeks with my vegetarian daughter. I’d like to get opinions on the following ADRs, as well as any favorite dishes you might suggest at them. Much appreciated!
  • Spice Road Table
  • La Hacienda
  • Spirit of Aloha
  • Jiko
  • Tiffins
  • Si-Fi

Can comment on Jiko. Excellent choice. They have a separate vegetarian/vegan menu:

WHUgXkK.jpg

We had the Taste of Africa bread service, and it was very good:

lbSNGNRl.jpg

DH had the Kushari:

Kf5yDEWl.jpg

And I had the Koki Corn:

p5fdkjrl.jpg

We both loved our meals. Also, the bread that they bring out to every table before your meal is a sweet potato roll - it's very good.

We love the food at AKL in general. Such unique flavors that you don't get anywhere else outside of AKL and DAK - well, in Disney anyway. :)

• Spice Road Table
  • La Hacienda
  • Spirit of Aloha
  • Jiko
  • Tiffins
  • Si-Fi

I had lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-In last September and had a falafel burger with fries and a vegan Oreo milkshake. The burger was delicious! I think they have another veggie main on the menu too. :)

• Spice Road Table
  • La Hacienda
  • Spirit of Aloha
  • Jiko
  • Tiffins
  • Si-Fi

We've tried every vegetarian item at Spice Road and love them all. The hummus fries are the must do for us.
La Hacienda has a separate menu. It's small, but good choices. I like the tacos, but hubs likes ... something cheesy?
We've never been to Spirit of Aloha.
Jiko is another excellent choice. I always get whatever soup is going around (although last time I had a cold one that I wasn't super fond of) and I can't pull myself away from the maize-crusted tofu. Hubs likes the koki corn best. Then we go to the Mara for desserts!
Tiffins only had one vegetarian choice when we were there. A corn cake, I think. It was so so good, but I think I prefer other signatures over Tiffins.
And Sci-Fi has several great choices. I had the falafel burger last time and didn't really care for it. The texture was mushy and not appealing to me personally. But the lettuce wraps were good.

I love that there are so many more choices these days. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
We did Spirit of Aloha last year. The show was great and they were very accommodating! We had a tofu stir fry and it was wonderful. The rolls were awful though! lol But there than that, it was yummy. Enjoy Life cookies were dessert

As I stood in line at guest services in MK today, April 10, I heard a woman nearby ask for the vegan brochure. She said she’s a blogger and it just debuted.

I asked for the same after resolving my original issue, and received the “Disney Plant Based Cuisine” brochure for Magic Kingdom Park, Spring 2019: “Spring into our delicious assortment of meatless menu items!”

Listed land by land, it details each vegetarian item available. Vegan options are marked with a leaf icon, defined as “Does Not Contain Animal Meat, Dairy, Eggs, or Honey.” (Leaving open the possibility of lab-grown meat?)

I noted the brochure prominently displayed at the front check/in for several restaurants I passed this day.

Thank you, unknown vegan blogger whose name/website I forgot to ask. Without this handy reference, I might never have known to look for a vegan hot dog at Casey’s Corner, or a sloppy joe at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe the next time I’m peckish in the park.

I proceeded to amble over to the other parks in search of more, but MK seems to be the only one with the brochure, so far. Anyone seen something similar at Disney Springs or the resorts?

I took a photo of the cover, but my technical skills lack the ability to size it down for this forum.

For now it's only at MK. People are hoping it spreads to the whole Resort area, it does make things easier, but just to note; there are some options that aren't listed, so people should also keep checking their favorite blogs/vlogs for all the options.

Here is a link to see each page of the pamphlet. :) They also discuss a few items not mentioned there and remind you that you can always ask a chef to help you out at TS locations. DH & I also noted that this pamphlet mentions mostly entrees & snacks, but does not seem to list side dishes. But those few things aside it is a great start and we hope it will roll out to all of the parks!! :)

https://vegandisneyworld.com/2019/04/11/new-plant-based-guide-from-disney/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!